Johnson 15hp 2-stroke high pitched noise then stopped working

AlTn

Commander
Re: Johnson 15hp 2-stroke high pitched noise then stopped working

fwiw..I checked the parts no.s for an 83 and a 90 before I posted that item no...the crank, rods, and crankcase have identical parts no.'s

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

fwiw..I checked the parts no.s for an 83 and a 90 before I posted that item no...the crank, rods, and crankcase have identical parts no.'s

So you think it would be an easy swap? I'm just wondering if eveything else (the carb, the coils, the magneto . . .) will match up or if I'll be stuck reverse-engineering everything onto it. I agree it's probably the best solution at this point, provided, of course, that everything matches up. . . .

AlTn

Commander

good point that I don't know the answer to

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I found a 15904E powerhear off a 79Evinrude. I'm wondering if this will fit mine. According to a baot parts site, the code doesn't match mine (J15RCTR).

Is ther any way else to check this??

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

The rod is shot, the crank is toast too because you cannot have it re-machined, it's not like a 4-stroke where the re-grind the journals (making their diameter smaller) and then they give you undersized bearings to take up the slack. There is only the stock bearing availlable, so it's new, or used crank time. You also need a new rod, w/ both bearings, and a new wrist pin, and possibly piston assembly. In short, you need a total overhaul. There is a guy who sells everything but the crank, including pistons bearings seals and gaskets for around $250.00 as a kit on eBay, but you need a crank too, plus a bore job (might as well), so here is what I would do: Get a used power head off eBay or somebody here who has one (The Machinest?) Every three years Johnson changed the engine, the first 3 years were 1974-1976, then 1977-79, then 80-82, the 83-85, then 86-88 and so on. That means you can use any of the three years that your engine is in and not have compatability problems. You can find good powerheads for under $200.00, I got mine for $125.00.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sigh, this is what I was afraid of.

Actually I'm somewhat relieved. I was already planning on getting another powerhead off ebay. I have been told that the powerheads are essentially all the same, but that I'll have compatibility problems with things like the carburetor.

I'm not in a big hurry; I'll keep looking (and if you happen across an 83-85 powerhead, please let me know!) and just keep the good parts as spares.

If I don't find anything by the fall, I'll just wait until the dead of winter and pick up a new/pre-owned one somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

The rod is shot, the crank is toast too because you cannot have it re-machined, it's not like a 4-stroke where the re-grind the journals (making their diameter smaller) and then they give you undersized bearings to take up the slack. There is only the stock bearing availlable, so it's new, or used crank time. You also need a new rod, w/ both bearings, and a new wrist pin, and possibly piston assembly. In short, you need a total overhaul. There is a guy who sells everything but the crank, including pistons bearings seals and gaskets for around $250.00 as a kit on eBay, but you need a crank too, plus a bore job (might as well), so here is what I would do: Get a used power head off eBay or somebody here who has one (The Machinest?) Every three years Johnson changed the engine, the first 3 years were 1974-1976, then 1977-79, then 80-82, the 83-85, then 86-88 and so on. That means you can use any of the three years that your engine is in and not have compatability problems. You can find good powerheads for under $200.00, I got mine for $125.00.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey hey! So I'm back! I grabbed a powerhead off Ebay for $180; I figure it was worth a shot as the guy claims the compression is 95lbs on each cylinder. . . . Probably a terrible idea, but oh well.

So anyway, it seems I have misplaced my spark plug wires (actually I think the mechanic that looked at my engine and decided it wasn't worth fooling with either forgot to give them back and stole them). Where can I get another set of these and/or what are/were the lengths?

It's a J15RCTR powerhead.

Thanks for the help!

AlTn

Commander

marineengine.com look under 1983..your model no.....magneto....you'll see their options...do you have any marina's/repair places nearby?..would suggest calling them to check as well

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, if I get them I'll get them from iboats. Thanks!

So I have somewhat of a huge problem. When I disassembled my motor I took meticulous pictures. . . however, my camera card died and I lost them all! Does anyone know where I can find pictures of a tear-down of this motor? It's a 9.9 Johnson 1984 model (I think 78-91 were all the same motor, generally).

In particular, I have no clue how to put the magneto assembly back on. Also, if anyone knows where I can find details on timing the motor, that would be helpful. I put in a different powerhead, so the timing will be off.

Thanks for the help!

nwcove

Admiral

have you checked ebscohost? lotsa diagrams/info there.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you checked ebscohost? lotsa diagrams/info there.

Never heard of this! I'll look into it.

Raczekp1 - your links aren't working. . . .

AlTn

Commander

marineengine.com for diagrams....google Leeroy's Ramblings and look through his pics and text on ignition systems...You Tube may have some stuff as well....timing should not be a problem ..

jamesgduratech

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just a question, is the cooling stream sputtering when driving? There could be a clog in the cooling system.
That's probably not the case, but if it is, it could be creating too much heat and pressure inside the motor.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah, the stream was fine. I'm having a mechanic put it together for me this week. Hopefully it runs or I'll be without a motor next season I fear. :|