Johnson 140TL Burnt Piston?

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 140TL Burnt Piston?

And also speaking of it should be a crime - whether this should be or shouldn't be this is a crime :rolleyes:
Hmm., well I figure if I pay for it I should be able to distribute anyway I see fit to if you gave me a hard manual would it be any different? Hahaha by the way does the real manual have a pic of a Guy in an older bass boat on the front?

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Nope, but the one I got tricked with the first time I tried to buy a factory service manual does ha

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I still have the motor, and have a buyer lined up for the stripped down Powerhead. I bought another motor today. it is a 1982 Evinrude 140. It was listed as a 1985. I looked up model and got year. So nothing it usable from this old motor right? The RUDE had been rebuilt completely and all cylinders are bored .30 over and re-ringed. Internals are replaced and all done by certified Mechanic. I paid 800 dollars for the motor. PO also gave me the 72 Hurst boat and trailer that it used to be on. Motor was garage kept for the last 6 years while boat was being "restored". PO never got to restore and therefore never put it back on boat. Any thoughts on this model year and make? e140trlcnb.....I think I got a great deal. I just need to mount. part out old motor or rebuild it is the question now. Person wants powerhead, but we cant reach a price. I just do not know what it is worth. What should it cost to bore all 4 cyl .20 over? I really would like to rebuild . but I just dont know. Anyway I am hoping this motor being a crossflow will be ok for my 1992 godfrey hurricane.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

What should it cost to bore all 4 cyl .20 over?
I charge $65 a cylinder and that includes: boring, hone to spec, port camfering, exhaust bridge mod for that model and light wash/oil.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I charge $65 a cylinder and that includes: boring, hone to spec, port camfering, exhaust bridge mod for that model and light wash/oil.

I wish I lived closer to you for sure! The place I was taking it wants 200 to do one. Also how do you kow whenyou only need to bore, and not sleeve?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Also how do you kow when you only need to bore, and not sleeve?
You only sleeve if cylinder is really damaged or a port is knocked out as usually .020-.030 will clean up a cylinder...you can bore that engine up to .060 oversize and if you want to pay extra for machining it can be bored up to .185 oversize.(converted to big bore)

daselbee

Commander

You only sleeve if cylinder is really damaged or a port is knocked out as usually .020-.030 will clean up a cylinder...you can bore that engine up to .060 oversize and if you want to pay extra for machining it can be bored up to .185 oversize.(converted to big bore)

I guess you are saying that the original sleeve is bored out, the block is continued to be bored to a bigger size, and the new larger sleeve is installed? The block has enough meat there to allow such an oversize bore?

I don't think you mean that the original sleeve can go all the way out to .185 oversize.....surely not.....

Just want to be sure.

daselbee

Commander

Hey Dad.....what is your status here? You have a motor or not?

I have a 22' Hurricane deck boat with a 200 V6 1996 engine on it. Pushes it to about 45 mph.

Since I have one of these boats, I would think that a 140 will not be enough power, or not enough power for me anyway.

So, I just so happen to have a beautiful 20" 1994(? I think, will go check again...) 200 looper that I just finished the powerhead on, and I am now breaking it in.
I mean...it is really sweet. Cowlings are really nice. Very clean freshwater.....came off a bassboat that was used on lakes here in FL.

PM me if this is something you would be interested in.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As of right now I have a johnson 140 with a scored cyl, I bought a 1982 Evinrude 140 used that was rebuilt by a Marine Mechanic. Completely! I was under the impression that the 140 would push my 19ft godfrey hurricane around 45 or so. I am currently parting out the Johnson for what I can get out of it. I havent sod any of it yet but I have a buyer for just the powerhead. No carbs, reeds or electronics. I am hoping to get the rest sold soon as I need to pay for the other motor i bought. I paid 800 for the Evinrude, and it came with a nice bassboat trailer , and a '72 Hurst bassboat that the motor was on.I am selling the boat and trailer as well. I would be interested in the other motor , but would have to sell everything else to afford what I am sure you are going to ask...hahaha Thank you so much for reading this and taking the time to respond.

On a side note I really am not sure if it needs to be resleeved or not. If just bored I would like to do that to all of them for sure and be done with it. new rings and seals and sell! Ho do I know though? I didnt think it was all that bad myself. The first mechanic I delt with sold me on a complete rebuild. Scared me with a promise that if I simply bored it would fly apart.

daselbee

Commander

Well, I think you would be surprised at the deal I could offer......no shipping, direct delivery, rig it for you....etc.

I do think you will be slower than 45....more like 35. If you find yourself underpowered for your tastes,

PM me. I might still have the motor. And I am telling you....it is sweet. Looks brand new. Runs strong.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I don't think you mean that the original sleeve can go all the way out to .185 oversize.....surely not..
Yep....sure can.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just bore it, it does not need to be sleeved.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay, so I am going to get it bored. It seems the Mech I trusted was trying to get one over on me. So I now have the powerhead off. I have not taken anything else off of the powerhead. I am sure I am going to have to take it all apart to bore it. What all do I need to put it back together? Is there anything I can reuse? What gasket kits? I know I need to replace things while in there. I am kinda on a budget now that I have bought another motor. So I would like to just replace the absolute essentials. Thanks!

Haffiman

Commander

No 1 essential is an OEM workshop manual!!
You will need a complete gasket kit, Gel Seal II (between crank halves), and a can of Sealing Compound (Loc Tite Aviation) for screws and all gaskets in contact with water.
As for parts, time will tell as you tear it down!!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

There is no such thing as over sized rings on an outboard.You will need to buy a piston kit,but only after knowing how oversized the bore will be to remove the inperfections.Also,most importantly,WHY DID IT BLOW UP.Obviously overheat,but you need determine,if there is a problem with waterpump/impeller .which is usually the case due to mud,lack of maint.etc. surrest you take the carbs apart,and at least clean them good.Sitting around will cause them to get mucky.Not a big job,just take ur time and lay out on a nice clean location.EVERTHING needs to come apart and removed to bore,the steel that will be expelled in the process can plug up oil holes,get into the tiniest of places ,if so and not removed ,your putting abrasives in a rebuilt engine.Yes,you need a piston,gasket kit,I would change bearings,some reuse,but,if you do,be sure they have no bluing color,that indicates an overheat ,and then change.I truly cant see rebuilding an engine half way,especially an old one.Thats me.If your in there ,put new stuff in.The top main ,and crank mains,as long as not over heated wil likely be ok.But the bottom,does get abose ,sometimes wsater intrusion ,so change it and the SEAL.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. Well I thought you could bore the cylinder and then put in slightly larger rings.
There is no such thing as over sized rings on an outboard.You will need to buy a piston kit,but only after knowing how oversized the bore will be to remove the inperfections.Also,most importantly,WHY DID IT BLOW UP.Obviously overheat,but you need determine,if there is a problem with waterpump/impeller .which is usually the case due to mud,lack of maint.etc. surrest you take the carbs apart,and at least clean them good.Sitting around will cause them to get mucky.Not a big job,just take ur time and lay out on a nice clean location.EVERTHING needs to come apart and removed to bore,the steel that will be expelled in the process can plug up oil holes,get into the tiniest of places ,if so and not removed ,your putting abrasives in a rebuilt engine.Yes,you need a piston,gasket kit,I would change bearings,some reuse,but,if you do,be sure they have no bluing color,that indicates an overheat ,and then change.I truly cant see rebuilding an engine half way,especially an old one.Thats me.If your in there ,put new stuff in.The top main ,and crank mains,as long as not over heated wil likely be ok.But the bottom,does get abose ,sometimes wsater intrusion ,so change it and the SEAL.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to everyone for all of the help. After further thought I think I am going to stick with a plan and sell the motor for parts. Any idea what I could sell for? I bought an Evinrude 140 and rigged it this week. It is a 1982 and nothing is the same. Is there a place on here to sell things? I searched but didnt get anything. I am in Easley SC. I will ship to anyone for additional shipping.