The most aweful lake we have ever been on

Friscoboater

Captain
We keep our boat on a trailer and my parents wanted us to bring it to their lake yesterday so that we could all have fun with the whole family. Plus my uncle slips his boat out there so we all met up.

Ok, so we pull up to the ramp and go to put in and there was a huge tree hanging over ramp that scraped the top of my truck and made it hard to back down the ramp. We then get the boat in and my wife parked the truck and came back to the ramp for pick up. We then realized there there were no courtesy docks of a safe place around the dock for pick up. It was just huge boulders. So you have to idle in too the ramp and have my 110lb wife stop the boat while holding keys, trying to stop the keel from hitting the concrete and missing the other boaters trying to load and unload. Ok so now we are in the water, everything should be great from here. WRONG!! We idle out of the now wake zone and my wife says what is that smell? It smelled like an old pond that had been sitting for a while, plus the smell of fish. About that time my uncle pulled up in his boat and we asked him about the smell. He said that this lake is a reservoir not a spring feed lake so it is only filled by rain water. So it is just like big pond. It was really bad people. At this time my wife is a little miffed but she keep quote and we started the days activities.

We spent about 6 hours out on the lake wakeboarding tubing and the whole mess. After we were finished we went back to the ramp to unload and found that the police were doing safety checks on all boats that are going in out out. So needless to say it took us about an hour and a half to finally get out of the water. We got back to my parents house and had dinner a stared our long drive home. My daughter started complaining that she was iching really bad. I really did not think anything of it until this morning. We ALL have rashes
all over our bodies, and we even showered last night.

I guess we are just spoiled by our nice lake.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: The most aweful lake we have ever been on

You're not going to tell us what lake it was? I guess we will know when we pull up to launch under the dreaded overhanging tree...

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Having a reasonably priced $7, 11 lane super launch into lake Michigan 2 minuites from my house I feel all inland lakes are kinda rinky dink and **** ant.

Friscoboater

Captain

LOL I was so upset I forgot. Lake Ray Hubbard. They are free, and that is where the problem is. We pay for our ramp, with a yearly pass.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lake Ray Hubbard doesn't look that bad from the highways that pass over it! :D

Honestly, there are definitely much nastier lakes, Bridgeport for instance. It seemed like it was all snakes and stumps last time I was there.

Friscoboater

Captain

I thought it would be nice too, but the water was just gross.

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, the worst lake in the world is Lake El Dorado in Kansaw.

Horrid beyond belief.

Friscoboater

Captain

I guess there are boating lakes and fishing lakes. Ray hubbard seems like a fishing lake.

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Having a reasonably priced $7, 11 lane super launch into lake Michigan 2 minuites from my house I feel all inland lakes are kinda rinky dink and **** ant.

There are some inland man made lakes that are nice. Table Rock Missouri, Lake Powell in Arizona for a few. However, most are not worth spitting in. I prefer the ocean, any ocean, to a freshwater man made lake.

45Auto

Commander

Having a FREE super launch into the Gulf of Mexico 2 minutes from my house, I feel that ALL lakes (even the ones with "great" in their name) are **** ant. :D

oursanity

Cadet

Let me guess...you were launching at Bayview Marina?

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Heh, I went to our local lake (well it's a reservoir as well) and turns out they drained a large portion (as they usually do this time of year). So it was even muddier then usual, plus it had the added benefit of a terrible stagnant pond smell. It was awful, got out to the north end and found a stranded boater with his wife and two toddlers. The first time he's had the kids on the boat this year and he breaks down...classic. Poor guy, I managed to scratch up my skeg (but didn't damage my friends prop!) trying to pull him out of the muck/goose poo! Spent over an hour towing him back to the dock and helped him load the boat. Gave him some pointers for the problems with his merc (I suspect carb or fuel pump problems) and he was super grateful, wouldn't leave without getting my address to send me a thank you 'Letter'. Be interesting to see what he sents.

But I digress...the lake was terrible and very low...so the water was super shallow in parts...they even had warnings up at the dock. Even threw my sandals in the garbage because they stunk so bad when i got home. Hope I don't get any rashes from jumping in the water...and feel sorry for the other boater as he was waiste deep in goose poo!

I think I broke my toe too...when I jumped off the back of my truck when loading...GAWD it hurts...and this funny blue color is comming out!

Beautiful day for boating though! :p
Ian

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to hear it Man, We learn by our experiences(good or bad).

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

The one in dallas tex.

skargo

Banned

I am SOOO glad I am near the mighty Chesapeake, the greatest body of water in the universe.:cool:

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Not to turn this into another "who has it better thread" but I think it is really interesting how people view the bodies of water that others enjoy.

Small or large inland resevoirs have their place. This one that frisco experienced sounds pretty bad. I guess people don't always realize how lucky they are on their preferred body of water. For me fresh water natural lakes are the best. They are available in abundance in my part of the world, I'm lucky.

For anyone that hasn't been on Lake Michigan or Huron or Superior. You need to if you ever have the chance. They are truly amazing. Fresh, almost drinkable, water for as far as the eye can see.

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to turn this into another "who has it better thread" but I think it is really interesting how people view the bodies of water that others enjoy.

Small or large inland resevoirs have their place. This one that frisco experienced sounds pretty bad. I guess people don't always realize how lucky they are on their preferred body of water. For me fresh water natural lakes are the best. They are available in abundance in my part of the world, I'm lucky.

For anyone that hasn't been on Lake Michigan or Huron or Superior. You need to if you ever have the chance. They are truly amazing. Fresh, almost drinkable, water for as far as the eye can see.

X2! We have around 5 lakes in the town i live in! Im guessing we have 25 lakes within 20 miles of my house and all boating lakes!
But Lake Michigan is my fav! Never been on Huron or Superior.

GreatPyr

Recruit

Sorry to hijack a little, but there are two people in this thread with 18' boats that boat on Lake Michigan. I would have thought that was too small. I have an 18' boat myself so I was wondering how well they perform there.

btw - windsors03cobra, nice Cobra, and the best color. I have a yellow '98 'vert.

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hijack a little, but there are two people in this thread with 18' boats that boat on Lake Michigan. I would have thought that was too small. I have an 18' boat myself so I was wondering how well they perform there.

btw - windsors03cobra, nice Cobra, and the best color. I have a yellow '98 'vert.

I had my 16' four winns out there before....just once. My 24 footer that I have now does just fine. You just have to watch the lake forcast and go when there are small waves. I was out there once with 4-6' and I saw kyaks and 18'ers. I didnt stay out there then, I just turned and went back in. I was out there yesterday and the waves were 1' or less.....what a perfect day! There were boats of all sizes out there....there was a little 13-14' jet boat out there just having a blast.