joe reeves timing question

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Iam trying to set my timing via the joe reeves method, my problem i just about bottomed out on the spark advanced and the timing mark is not moving any thing i am doing wrong? I have disabled quick start, pulled all plugs, have a spark tester set for 7/16 on # 1 throttle is wide open.

bigd5977

Seaman
Re: joe reeves timing question

i believe its best to use a TIMING LIGHT & mark the timing spot on the flywheel so u can match the mark up with the pointer,, put all plugs back in & wires on & do a regular timing test to see where it is at,, then adj. as needed

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i did that the problem is i cant get the mark on wheel to line up with pointer. i should have mentioned i was using a timing light. thanksd

bigd5977

Seaman

yes,, but you also said you have pulled all the plugs out,, & i said put them all back in & put the wires back on too, you do not need the throttle on WOT,,, just put it in idle & use the light with all plugs in & wires on & you do need to have it running for this,,, but just at normal idle

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Everything he just said is flat out wrong:facepalm:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228183

yes,, but you also said you have pulled all the plugs out,, & i said put them all back in & put the wires back on too,

"To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out," - Joe Reeves method

you do not need the throttle on WOT,,,

"and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary). " - Joe Reeves method

just put it in idle & use the light with all plugs in & wires on & you do need to have it running for this,,, but just at normal idle

"The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running" - Joe Reeves method

If you put them back in of course the motor is going to start. If it's not at WOT then it won't be at full spark advance.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

i believe its best to use a TIMING LIGHT & mark the timing spot on the flywheel so u can match the mark up with the pointer,, put all plugs back in & wires on & do a regular timing test to see where it is at,, then adj. as needed

He said he already moved the spark advance so if he runs the motor now the timing will be WAY off and he will likely ruin his motor.

bigd5977

Seaman

well then he should put it back where it was originally & also, i don't see anything to where it says WHAT KIND OF MOTOR its, YR , model, or anything else,, & with my motor, the way its timed IS THE RIGHT WAY, according to all manuals, service techs & a lot of people on here too,,, now are you going to tell me that everybody else is wrong & the manuals are wrong too ???

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Iam trying to set my timing via the joe reeves method, my problem i just about bottomed out on the spark advanced and the timing mark is not moving any thing i am doing wrong? I have disabled quick start, pulled all plugs, have a spark tester set for 7/16 on # 1 throttle is wide open.

"To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary). "

Could it need to be wired all the way advanced? Maybe your throttle stop screw is stopping you from full wot? Are you sure you're on #1;)? Try fully bottoming the spark advance?

The cap that goes over the spark advance rod should have a spring assembly inside it. My motor was missing this so the rod wasn't actually pushing against anything even though the cap was fully tightened! If you push a screwdriver into it after about an inch or so you should hit a spring assembly.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

well then he should put it back where it was originally & also, i don't see anything to where it says WHAT KIND OF MOTOR its, YR , model, or anything else,, & with my motor, the way its timed IS THE RIGHT WAY, according to all manuals, service techs & a lot of people on here too,,, now are you going to tell me that everybody else is wrong & the manuals are wrong too ???

The response to what you are saying has been beaten to death already. That JR method is straight from OMC factory techs, released as a service bulletin after the manuals were made.

He can't just "put it back" once he's turned it. He would have no way of knowing where "back" is.

This guy is on an OMC forum using an OMC timing guide so it's safe to assume he's running an OMC motor.

Even if he had timed it using what you call the "right" way, at near WOT on the water, if he's not get getting spark advance in the driveway, he wouldn't be getting it in the water either.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Dam I love this forum. I used Joe Reeves method years ago before ever hearing of him. You set the WOT timing with with the spark advance in full WOT position when cranking with the plugs out using a timing lite and spark tester connected to # 1. You just back off the timing 4* less than what ever the spec is. When you run it on the water the timing will be correct at WOT.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok guys thanks for all of the input i did get it to line up, i backed it just about all the way and then started turning until i got it. by the way the engine is a 1990 225 evinrude, I noticed when I started that the spark advance nut was not tight, it does have a lock washer on it so i think the guy i had do all the work last year did not tighten it and after all the vibration it must have moved i think. i will take it out this weekend and see. THANKS AGAIN HEY bigd you have to re-read the joe reeves post AGAIN.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

bigd5977, I'm glad you never set the timing on my mtr!!

bigd5977

Seaman

yeah what ever guys,, my motor is not a timing problem cuz i fix that,, a long time ago & by the book & ALL THE SERVICE REP's & i had the marina & 3 other outboard motor techs check my work & they found NO PROBLEM at all

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you had to have all those people check your work you must have no confidence in yours.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I would like to settle this arguement. Both timing methods are correct. The one bigd5977 suggests is a basic timing at idle speed. jstrat7804 was trying to do a full advance Wot timing. It is a misunderstanding.

Sorry, but there is nothing to argue or sling insults about.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my book says that idle timing must be done in a test tank with a test prop or in the water under normal operating conditions, not on muffs, but if you can set idle timing for this engine in the drive way i would love to try it. thanks. did not mean to start a battle here i think this site is great

bigd5977

Seaman

i do have confidence in my work,, but EVEN YOU CAN MAKE A MISTAKE,, but i guess your better then any1 else & never made a mistake