new problem on new reman.

Had a reman 1993 4.3 installed just a couple weeks ago. Original motor only had about 320 hours on it. I've had the boat out twice now since the install. First time out it ran like a sowing machine. Went out today and it started fine but then after about a minute of idleing it died. It would restart fine but each time would die after about the same time span. When I would try to put it into foward gear and try to give it some throttle, it would just fall on it's face and die.

It did finally come out of it and ran great for awhile but then repeated after shutting down and about a 30 minute wait. Once again, it came out of it after a few starts and ran great.

I'm in no way an expert (I leave that to you guys) but a couple of things I'm thinking. 1. Oil pressure switch or 2. Fuel Pump.

I think both are original.

Any suggestions or other thoughts?

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: new problem on new reman.

Do you have merc, VP or OMC?

On mercs it is on the port side of the block.

it's a 1993 4.3 Merc. Is it easy to access and swap or is it something I should have the shop do?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It's an easy swap, if you have to do it.

do my symptoms sound at all like a fuel pump that might be on it's way out? If not, what are the symptoms of "almost" bad fuel pump? Another thing that occurred to me is that before this trip out I put a bottle of heat into the gas since it would likely be my last trip out before winter. Since I did not have these problems prior to adding the heat could it cause my dying problems?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

To determine it your fuel pump is bad, you need to test it for flow and pressure. However, you first need to understand when it runs. The fuel pump is only supplied power when the starter is engaged OR when there is oil pressure. Have you verified the operation of the presure switch yet?

not yet. Haven't had chance to get to where boat is stored. Just trying to explore all options before getting into it. I do remember that my oil pressure guage was reading a little above 40 psi during my troubles with it dying. I've read that 40 is about normal so I'm leaning towards ruling out the pressure switch. What do you think about the possibility of some bad gas or the heat. I added a full bottle of heat to about 10 gallons. Could that cause proper fuel burning problems?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I don't know how many gallons a bottle of heat treats, but since it starts and runs for a few seconds I wouldn't be worried about it.

Your fuel pressure guage is hooked up to an oil pressure sender that is seperate from the oil pressure switch wired to the fuel pump. It can't be ruled out based on the guage reading.