jet ski starting problems

pokerdog2402

Recruit
i have a 1997 sea doo gsx. it just quit running and won't start. i found a blown fuse at the solenoid. when trying to start, it won't do anything. it has anew battery in it. i can jump across the solenoid and it will turn over but won't start. aqny ideas. thanks, david

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: jet ski starting problems

Just for clarification, when you push the button it does nothing, not even turn over? If that is the case and when you jump the solenoid, it turns over, it is the solenoid that needs replacing.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: jet ski starting problems

First and foremost, even without the key installed on the DESS post, the guages should become active for at least 33 seconds and then shut off when you press the START/STOP button. If you are not even getting this output, first suspect is checking your ground wires.

Second, and unfortunately pretty common, is that your MPEM (computer/brain/ecu) has blown it's internal diode. A lot of guys have had pretty good success in replacing just the diode and saving tons of money. Check out post #64 here --->http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=91949&highlight=diode You will need to register to see the pictures. In any case, you're not alone. Happens quite often actually. Symptoms include cranking but no spark, no matter what. The problem is that in earlier models, the CDI box was separate from the main ECU. 1997 is the first year Bombardier combined both into one physical unit. As long as you know someone who can solder or if you are capable yourself, the repair could cost less than $15. Otherwise, have fun trying to find a good used MPEM that isn't about to give out. You don't even want to know what retail is for a new one. Hope this helps.

-Chris