Jen E. Dawg Needs a Thought & Prayer

ehenry

Commander
May 9, 2011. . . . 12:30 hours. . . . . It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes as I type this. My trusting soul Jen E. Dawg has gone on to the next world. Donna came home for lunch and called me crying saying she didnt think Jenny would be alive when i got home but she was and passed peacefully when I laid my hands on her head and over her eyes......

RIP Jenny
1998-2011

I brought this thread back to the top for those that may remember this story of her back in 2006.

Jenny brought me a little prize yesterday. I found it on the back patio when I got home yesterday. A Copperhead snake. The snake was dead, chewed up, missing bout a 3rd of its back end. Jenny wasn’t around so I started lookin for her. I found her laid up in the bushes in front of the house, in between the bushes and the brick wall of the front porch. Her head was the size of a bowlin ball, left front leg was 3 times its normal size and she had a huge swollen spot on her chest. Called the vet and he came to the house on his way home, since he lives close by. We got in the bushes where she was and he gave her some drugs to calm her down. He told me to let her lay where she was and when the venom ran its course she'd come out. She was still in the bushes when I went to bed lastnight and still there this morning when I left for work?..I put her water pot down there with her incase she wanted some and sat a couple things for her to eat. Hope shes not still in the bushes when I get home.

moto_0054-1.jpg

She probably kept one of us from getting bit.

Last edited:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Jen E. Dawg Needs a Thought & Prayer

You have our prayers. Only time will tell in these circumstances. Hoping time is on your side and a turn around is forth coming.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I sure will pray for her.......You know your last line got to me cuz you know a dog would take all that to protect their person.......If it is her time I bet thats the way she would want to go.... protecting her master. :(

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Pretty dog, Sure miss my shepard. Hope she get's well soon.

heycods

Captain

I had a half aussie half border collie that took 3 hits from rattlers, at different times, for my boys while they were growing up. Best friend in the world is a good Dog. Hope shes better this evening. Luck LWR

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh dear!copperheads are a nasty piece of work :( <br />I prefer the company of dogs to most people, therefore it distresses me very much to hear about the suffering that your dog is going through, however, it is quite common for dogs to survive without ill effects after being snake-bit, my neice's beagle was once bitten by a water mocassin, though not in the same class of a copperhead, the beagle survived.<br />I do indeed hope that Jenny recovers fully from this most trumatic affair. <br />EF, I do wish the best outcome for you and your family in this ordeal.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Strongest possible thoughts for Jenny's full recovery, ef.<br /><br />From experience I would not expect her to recover that quickly. Make sure she has access to water at all times. Two or three days sounds more like recovery time to come out and seek her usual bed.<br /><br />Best of luck to you both.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

EFHenry, I hope she's OK and recovers quickly. I don't know much about snakes, we don't have them here, but getting bit doesn't look like a pleasant experience... :( Good luck!

ehenry

Commander

The youngun just called to report that shes still in the bushes, that she's still breathing and wigglin he ears. He said her water pot was empty and filled back up. He also mentioned that her food was still there that she hadnt eaten any of it. I guess its a good sign she drank her water..

ndemge

Commander

Not any anti-venom or other meds they can give to help?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Hope yer dog gets better :( ....JK

ehenry

Commander

Vet said dogs have a natural ability to fight these things off. He said she should be fine it'll just take some time, to keep her quiet and keep water in front of her.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The drinking is a good sign, next up eating. From there it should be home free. Hard as it is to take these things take time. Hang in there ef.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Good luck with that, ef. <br /><br />Vet didn't give ya any antibiotics or anything for infection? When Dusty took a rattlesnake bite on the snout a few years ago, doc said snake's mouth is full of nasty stuff beyond just the venom.<br /><br />Make sure she gets all the water she can drink - it's important for kidney function which the venom can have an effect on.<br /><br />Might also want to add an electrolite supplement to the water (ask the vet first) - until she starts eating again it'll help. She might take raw eggs - or cooked chicken. You know how dogs love chicken.

LadyFish

Admiral

Sorry to hear about this efhenry. I agree with the fact that she is drinking water is a really good sign. Its a sad situation. Hopefully, she's a tough old broad and will come through this without any lasting affects.<br /><br />Sending good thoughts your way, and prayers for Jen E. Dawg, you, and the rest of your family.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

My prayers are being said for Jenny EF.<br />She's a great looking dog.<br />Let us know how shes doing.

18rabbit

Captain

Cottenmouths, copperheads, and rattlers; all diff models of the same critter. Not likely to take out a dog let alone a human. Possible, but not likely. Best to give her lots of space and let her get thru this. Dog is an animal that doesn't always see tender affection as tender affection when sick or injured. Let her have her space.

salty87

Commander

get well soon, Jen E! what a trooper

KaGee

Admiral

Hope Ms. Dawg pulls through EF. We know how much they mean to us.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Check with your vet first, but Gatoraid has the electrolites she needs if shes not eating. <br /><br />Also what 18R said:<br />"Dog is an animal that doesn't always see tender affection as tender affection when sick or injured. Let her have her space."<br />Be sure to let young ones know not to get to close for this reason.<br /><br />Hope it all goes well ef.