j185esxess

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
I anyone familiar with this motor: j185esxess?

A few years ago I had a 1989 version of this motor given to me minus the prop, hydraulic lines, and controls. I am currently running a 1983 J175TXCTD that I upgraded the charging system on to 30 amps. The J185 has been sitting on a stand in storage for a few years but I am really considering getting to work on it and possibly installing it on my boat. When it was given to me it wouldn't start but would crank freely so something is up with it, but that isn't the reason for the post. Right now the J175 runs extremely well, but given its age it was a crank rated motor. My boat can handle more power, and the hydraulic steering upgrade would be very nice. I am just looking for feedback on the j185esxess in general if it is worth the upgrade, what kind of reliability they had, and what kind of problems they may have had. From what I can gather this wasn't a super common model and someone mentioned it was a limited commercial motor, but everywhere I look I cant find info on it. Hoping some of the older, experienced guys know more and can help me determine if the motor is worth the time and work to swap. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
please delete this thread, found the information I was looking for

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
And what did you find?

Iboats doesnt deleted topics, perhaps you arent familiar w how open public forums work...
I am, and many other forums have mods that can delete posts. I did not know I boats cant.

The motor tag was deceiving me a bit and the model is j185esxess, so it's a 1990 60° looper motor. It looks like all the key things are intact on it and it might be a suitable replacement with some time spent repairing some obviously damaged parts on it. One of the plugs is broken, and one of the cooling hose ports has a nipple broken off on it that looks like it should be pretty easy to repair and replace. Now they have the proper model number for the motor I just ordered a shop manual for it so I think I'm going to replace this and look into repowering my boat with that. I was just a little skeptical about taking off a known good motor for this one but this thing offers a lot of benefits so long as I get it running right with the looper design.

My only remaining concern with it would be the weight increase. Only because the boat has a 12" adjustable jack plate on the back already and adding another 80-100 pounds to the rear end couldn't throw it a little out of balance, but I think it's something that we can adjust for.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I am, and many other forums have mods that can delete posts. I did not know I boats cant.
Iboats mods can, but dont unless in violation of rules & guidelines.

Glad you were able to find a solution.

Thanks for posting it

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Iboats mods can, but dont unless in violation of rules & guidelines.

Glad you were able to find a solution.

Thanks for posting it
If you're able to it might make sense to adjust the thread title to "j185esxess" since the number I posted was wrong. Thank you very much.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you're able to it might make sense to adjust the thread title to "j185esxess" since the number I posted was wrong. Thank you very much.
Done, title & 2 references in your post changed