Is your dog tough?

Ralph 123

Captain
Rumors of Mastiff’s demise greatly exaggerated<br />By Dawn Witlin<br />Thursday, August 25, 2005 <br /><br />Basson Draco, the 140-pound South African Mastiff missing and presumed dead since the cops shot him two weeks ago, limped out of the woods yesterday, looking rough but doggedly hanging tough after his brush with the law. <br /> <br /> The cagey canine had eluded a determined police dragnet, but was finally spotted in the woods behind a Stop 'n Shop in Sandwich Tuesday evening. <br /> <br /> Animal Control Officer Tim Houlihan said a tipster pointed out the hardy hound to police, who along with Houlihan and Draco's owner, Barbara Shaner, lured him into a cruiser and transported him to Roberts Animal Hospital in Hanover for treatment. <br /> <br /> In this case the citizens prevailed because they were the ones that notified us. Every single lead had been accurate. They really helped out,'' Houlihan said. <br /> <br /> Draco suffered multiple bullet wounds and a broken paw joint when he clashed with the cops Aug. 7. After he busted through a fence and bolted into the woods, they searched for him with thermal-imaging devices, but Draco successfully lay doggo. Since then, he's lost between 30 and 40 pounds, said Houlihan. Veterinarians declined to comment on Draco's condition. <br /> <br /> It's kind of a happy ending, because there is closure, and we didn't have to use any additional excessive force,'' Houlihan said. The fact that the animal didn't get hurt during the capture and that he's alive is amazing.'' <br /> <br /> Town administrators could not be reached for comment. Draco had been attacking Shaner and her daughter when police got involved. It remains unclear what fate holds for Draco, but Shaner has said the family wants to keep their overgrown, toothsome pup. <br /> <br /> Houlihan said, It's too early to comment if the public wants this animal back in the community.''

ehenry

Commander
Re: Is your dog tough?

why would anyone want to keep an animal that attacks them?

NYMINUTE

Captain

My Lab has an ego the size of Texas. No fear, no quit. Loves people, especially kids, but other dogs.....NOT. After a quick butt greeting the fur goes into a Mohawk, teeth show, and she is pumped. My Great Dane is a follower, what ever the lab does, she is in. I have been working with the lab when she does this. Usually a flip flop over the butt gets her attention. She is learning social skills.

txswinner

Banned

I had to put my 17 year old Lab down this year and it was a terrible thing. She was absolutely the most wonderful animal I have ever owned. Your girl will get the social skills but will always be your guardian. They are really smart.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Our akita of 12 years recently passed away...but he was tough very tough...<br /><br />He could climb a chain link fence like a monkey...<br /><br />One day we had 2 feet of snow and for NC that is very very rare. So we let him out to play.<br /><br />I get to the end of the drive way and look back and he is throwing something in the air like a well like a dead cat....<br /><br />which it was...<br /><br />Not a sound did he make - there was no fight - just shock and awe...<br /><br />Now before we had him fixed my two year old son was behind him and reached down and grabs his "boys" he screamed like a girl but did not bite my son.<br /><br />I told my wife I would have bitten my son if he did that to me....<br /><br />tomatolord

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you remember, my 15 lb weiner dox/mutt survived a pit bull attack that lasted 15 minutes without even a scratch. The last 10 minutes was with her in the pit bulls jaws.<br /><br />She is still as bold as ever barking like crazy at another pit bull.<br /><br />But the best dog ever with my 3 yr old.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Is my dog tough?<br /><br />Depends. Defending "Mommy" (wife)-YES. <br /><br />All others, you're on your own. ;) :D

Ralph 123

Captain

Hey Tom, my wife had an all white Akita straight from Japan - rare dogs. Very nice. Very tough.<br /><br />I just couldn't get over the fact this dog survibed gun shot wounds, a broken paw and allude police with thermal scanners since Aug 7! Pretty amazing.

BF

Lieutenant

my yellow lab is the biggest suck you'll ever see. Immediately has her tail between her legs or lies on her back when encountering another dog... but she barks like she means it, and if there's something/someone approaches her yard the hackles are up and the big dog/growly bark is out. She puts on a good show anyway ;)

D

DJ

Let me amend.<br /><br />We, (my boys and I) mock "break ins" (for giggles).<br /><br />She "Charbaby" (aka Chilibear) is all about discovering us, before we get in. Before she gets a slight whiff, of us, she's a terror. Once she knows, it's all wags and grins. Yes, she smiles.<br /> :D It's a hoot.<br /><br />I pity anyone that would try to break in and attack-"mommy". All a creep would see was white teeth coming out of a shadow. :eek: ;) <br /><br />This dog is amazing, she knows vehicles, scents and mannerisms. She knows the boys are home when they turn the corner, on the block.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Our golden retreiver Joe just broke his leg 2 days ago while leaping sideways for a tennis ball in mid-air. :( <br /><br />Tough? Yeah, I'd say so. After letting out an initial yelp because his right hind leg was sticking out at a right angle, he got up and walked himself (on the 3 good wheels) into the back of the minivan and hopped out on his own at the vet.<br /><br />He had MAJOR reconstruction yesterday and comes home tomorrow.<br /><br />I'm the wimp. I almost cried when the orthopaedic surgeon calmly informed me it was gonna run about $2,000. :eek:

D

DJ

Noodles,<br /><br />Tough one to deal with with.<br /><br />But, we're all pet lovers. We love em'.<br /><br />Hope all works out.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The tough one I own is an Australian border collie.He is 16 years old and retired from cattle driving for the past 9 years since a bull stepped on him and punctured one of his lungs.<br />Ask any Australian border collie owner about their dog's intelligence and ability to work,face down animals that are 10 times their size and just pure loveliness at home.You will mostly get the same answer.

ZmOz

Captain

I used to have a rabbit that was some special breed I can't remember the name of. It was only supposed to live 6-8 years. When he was about 10, he had a stroke. He was paralized on half his body and could only lay down and spin in circles. We were going to have him put down, but the vet said to give him a few more days and see what happens. He slowly started walking better after I held him up to help him learn again. He lived another 3 years, and regained most of his motor skills, although still couldn't walk in a straight line. A few months before he died the guiness book of world records was going to give him the title of "oldest living rabbit" if I could provide proof of his age, (vet records) but I never got around to it.

D

DJ

ZmOZ,<br /><br />I had a similar situation happen to a nineteen year old cat. Same results. He went another year and a half.<br /><br />I miss "Sam I am". :(

FLATHEAD

Captain

Tough?? Dont know about that, the dog in that story is one rough dude!.. But my yellow lab "Daisy" is an awesome pup . At 7 month old she saved my wife from a bad guy. Could have been real ugly. She loves every one but come around with bad intentions, she WILL know. She has a place in my heart forever. <br /><br />Now if she will only retrive a few ducks!!<br /><br />
daisy040.jpg

D

DJ

Flahthead,<br /><br />It amazes me how they can tell the difference between good and bad. But, they can. Someone that gives me or my wife the creeps gets growls from Charbaby. Otherwise, she's friendly.<br /><br />She growls first and warms up quick to friendlies.

FLATHEAD

Captain

DJ, <br />Not only that, but how they know to be gentle with the elderly and frail. Or know when your sick or feeling down. I guess thats why they got the label "Mans best friend"

sangerwaker

Commander

Doesn't he look tough?<br /><br />
FileHandler.ashx
<br /><br />He's a ginormous wimp. He does bark and acts tough, but when when it gets down to it, he's a big wimp. <br /><br />He is, however, very perceptive, as DJ and Flathead mentioned. I think most dogs are. My wife had outpatient surgery last Friday, and when we got home, Mojo just curled up beside her. He instinctively knew she didn't feel well and didn't want to play. He didn't hardly leave her side for two days.<br /><br />Great story, BTW, Ralph.