Is two stroke oil the same as two cycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if two stroke oil is the same as two cycle oil?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is two stroke oil the same as two cycle oil?

Yup.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

But that does not mean all two stroke oils are equal.

MikDee

Banned

Not Necessarily! There is 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines like lawn mowers, snow blowers, and then there is Marine engine 2 cycle oil.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

For marine use you want TCW3 oil. And the higher end stuff is fully synthetic.

Mech girl

Recruit

For marine use you want TCW3 oil. And the higher end stuff is fully synthetic.

NO, NO, NO!! :eek::eek::eek: They are DIFFERENT!!

Two-stroke oil is different from regular motor oil. It is thin and specifically made to mix with gasoline in the gas tank of two-stroke engines. This is how the piston is lubricated in a two-stroke engine.

Two-cycle oil is regular motor oil that you put in the oil filler hole on an automobile engine.

The confusion a lot of people have comes from not understanding just what the words "stroke" and "cycle" mean when talking about internal combustion engines.

A "stroke" describes the linear, or up and down, action the piston makes within its cylinder. One stroke for the piston to move up and one stroke for the piston to move down. A "cycle" describes the circular action of the crankshaft. One complete revolution of the crankshaft equals one cycle.

For every cycle the crankshaft makes, the piston makes two strokes. A two-stroke engine is the same thing as a one-cycle engine and a four-stroke engine is the same thing as a two-cycle engine. So an engine can be either two-stroke or four-stroke, OR an engine can be either one-cycle or two-cycle.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT KIND OF OIL FOR YOUR ENGINE!
Source(s):
27 years experience rebuilding engines. Especially ones for idiots who put two-stroke oil into their two-cycle engines!

Rick.

Captain

Two-stroke oil is different from regular motor oil. It is thin and specifically made to mix with gasoline in the gas tank of two-stroke engines. This is how the piston is lubricated in a two-stroke engine.

Two-cycle oil is regular motor oil that you put in the oil filler hole on an automobile engine.

The confusion a lot of people have comes from not understanding just what the words "stroke" and "cycle" mean when talking about internal combustion engines.

A "stroke" describes the linear, or up and down, action the piston makes within its cylinder. One stroke for the piston to move up and one stroke for the piston to move down. A "cycle" describes the circular action of the crankshaft. One complete revolution of the crankshaft equals one cycle.

For every cycle the crankshaft makes, the piston makes two strokes. A two-stroke engine is the same thing as a one-cycle engine and a four-stroke engine is the same thing as a two-cycle engine. So an engine can be either two-stroke or four-stroke, OR an engine can be either one-cycle or two-cycle.

Source(s):
27 years experience rebuilding engines. Especially ones for idiots who put two-stroke oil into their two-cycle engines!

No disrespect intended Mech girl but for the general public on this forum we speak of two stroke and four stroke engines and just to keep things on the simple side any reference to a two stroke on this forum is correctly translated as two cycle. That's my opinion anyway. LOL, this is coming from a plumber who has never rebuilt an engine, but some day I might. I hope I haven't missed anything obvious. Best of luck. Rick.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I agree with MikDee. Air cooled 2 strokes run a lot hotter than liquid cooled 2 strokes.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Source(s):

You are technically correct, but since you are using terminology that 99% of the public and most mechanics will not understand or agree with, then you are wrong. Very, very few will even know what a 1-cycle is. Sorry, effective communication is part of it also. And this is also a 4 and a half year old thread that you felt compelled to reply to. Please check the dates before dragging up threads.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is this added to fuel or crankcase? mao9ThajHdvCyujsmZZDJCA.jpg And this one? 542301.jpg

Attachments

• 1930692.jpg
    1930692.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 542319.jpg
    542319.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Why are y'all posting in a 5 year old thread? And since this can of worms has re-opened - Does this mean a 2 stroke is a 1 cycle and a 4 stroke is a 2 cycle? I think not. 2 cycle and 2 stroke are the same while a 4 stroke and 4 cycle are the same. And don't confuse cycle with revolution. 4 stroke/cycle oil is called motor or engine oil and while the other is called 2 stroke or 2 cycle oil

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

While technically that might be correct, I do think that most folks consider 2 stroke = 2 cycle and 4 stroke = 4 cycle.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why are y'all posting in a 5 year old thread?

Only one person posted a 5 yr thread, and that post opened up the can of worms. I wasn't confused, haven't added the wrong oil in over 50 years ... ;)

JB

By Mech girl:

This is incorrect. It cancels any truth in Mech girl's post.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two-stroke oil (also referred to as two-cycle oil, 2-cycle oil, 2T oil or 2-stroke oil) is an engine oil intended for use in two-stroke engines.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm still trying to find some one cycle oil ... :rolleyes:

fireman57

Captain

I can't resist. It's just like a woman to start an argument over something that happened five years ago. With that said, welcome to iboats mechgirl

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree + 1........

nwcove

Admiral

I can't resist. It's just like a woman to start an argument over something that happened five years ago. With that said, welcome to iboats mechgirl

yer brave fireman! ( and i cant wait to see the expression on the faces of the guys at my local ford dealership...when i request omc 2 stroke oil for my next oil change!:facepalm:)

Status
Not open for further replies.