Is this stuff any good?

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is this stuff any good?

That all depends. How big is this hole? Where is this hole located? Pictures, we need pictures.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ibrnrbr

Cadet

Ive used it and it works great. Just make sure you sand an area a couple inches around the hole and down to the resin. Also make sure it is dry before you go sealing in moister that will rot it out.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you're doing that much work don't buy the bondo stuff, the price is too high and it hardens very fast, faster than a rookie doing a large area can keep up with.

Find a Fiberglass store near you and get it there, they can be found all over so it won't be hard to find one.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I wasn't aware of how much you plan on doing. Forget that little kit and find a supplier. You'll have enough left over to patch that hole. If you don't have one local, try uscomposites.com. They're very helpful and will have everything you'll need. Do a lot of searching and reading in this forum and have fun. It's a hobby, it's a labor of love, it's a disease and you're about to become infected. :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

First off, Welcome to iBoats!
Second, you may have more issue than you think. You should check to see if you have Foam in your hull. If so then it will be holding a lot of water. Any patch you try to apply from the outside will fail due to that moisture on the inside. If there is NO foam then you MIGHT be able to repair that from the outside but any hole below the water line SHOULD be fixed from the INSIDED OUT! IF you cannot or do not want to do that then at the very least you should attempt to make a backup patch to be inserted and glued to the inside of the hull and then feather the outside and lay in your resin and glass to do your repair. SAFETY should be your #1 concern when repairing a Below the waterline hole so make sure you consider all the possibilities when you prepare to make this repair.

I'm just sayin...:D

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

On top of what haas been said already, the bondo kit only has fiberglass mat. Especially since you will have access from the inside once the deck is off I would use some 1708 biax instead of just mat. I bought all my stuff from:

http://uscomposites.com/

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On top of what haas been said already, the bondo kit only has fiberglass mat. Especially since you will have access from the inside once the deck is off I would use some 1708 biax instead of just mat. I bought all my stuff from:

http://uscomposites.com/

1708 biax noted :D Thank you:)