Is this normal Redneck behavior?

one more cast

Captain
Is this normal Redneck behavior?

I was listening to the scanner last night (Thats how we get our local news :D ) and there was the daily car/deer accident. Sometimes the car owner will take the deer, sometimes a passer by will take the deer but last night someone that heard this on the scanner called the sheriffs dept. and ask if they could come get the deer.I didn't think this was unusual until I got to thinking about it. Do you think maybe I am one of them there Rednecks? :confused:

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Is this normal Redneck behavior?

Sounds reasonable to me. Does that make me a redneck?

Homerr

Commander

Hell ya I'd take it if you knew it was freshly 'grilled' LOL!<br /><br />Does it make you a redneck? Naaa... <br />Now maybe you'd be a redneck if you pick up the deer AND the possum next to it? :) <br /><br />I think it should be perfectly legal to take a roadkill deer as long as a sheriff OK's it.<br />(That's what they do around here, but I think it's the officers discretion)<br /><br /><br />H.

Skinnywater

Commander

It's against the law here. I think it's a stupid one though.<br />But as stupid is, stupid does.......<br />About 25 years ago I saw a spike get hit by a truck. It was late at night and on a sparsely traveled road. I turned around and quickly loaded it into the back of my VW van. A couple of miles later all heck broke loose!<br />Here was this buck trying to get in between the two front seats and out the windshield!<br />As I hit the binders and came to a stop this animal was all over me and the dashboard.<br />I bailed out and ran around to the sidedoors to find something to end the ruckus. All I could find was a 2 foot long breaker bar.<br />What seemed like an hour of sparing, broken glass, snot slinging and futile smacks with the breaker bar, along comes this pick-up truck.<br />The old boy laughs a bit and produces a pistol and shoots the spike. I explained to him what happened, I can still remember his cackleing as he drove away.<br />The whole time on the way home I could still hear that deer moving in the back of the van, even though he was plenty dead.<br />That piece of venison broke a windshield, a side glass, tore both front seats, tore the headliner halfway back, bent the dashboard and shifter. Busted my cassette deck and rear view mirror. I had major bruises and minor scrapes.<br />And for years after, everytime it rained I could still smell deer blood and pizz on my commute into work.

ob

Admiral

LOL skinnywater.That sounds like what happened on the movie "Tommy Boy" to David Spades classic ride.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

There aint no bad rednecks. So ifn you kindly discover y'ar one, just go with it.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Here in Minnesocold you can keep the deer for a small fee.I never have myself because I would still have to pay for the processing.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's kinda funny that you asked that...I just heard last night on the scanner here that a woman hit a deer about 4 miles from the house and she didn't want it. I went down to where she hit it not 5 minutes after I heard the call and someone else had already beat me to it.<br />Here you can usually keep it but you need a warden to give you a tag number. Most people leave them because they don't want to wait.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Happens all the time here. Just stake a claim, call the sherriff, deputy will tag it and its yours. You don't have to be the one that hit it.<br /><br />One that I had hit about 5 years ago, came to while I waited for the deputy. I had knocked it silly and broke both back legs with the van. When he arrived, he shot it. Better than letting it suffer for a week, or letting the dogs/coyotes/wolves eat it alive.<br /><br />Plus, I had a nice freezer full of meat and a 13pt rack to mount on the wall.

phatmanmike

Captain

I turned around and quickly loaded it into the back of my VW van.
that was a "BUS" not a van. you should be ashamed of yerself for saying what you did :p

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They get upset here if you hit more than 10 a month :D You couldn't get a cop to come out here for hitting a deer,let alone care that you took it.

one more cast

Captain

I heard the same thing again tonight so I call my cousin ( he got skunked during hunting season) and told him if he wanted some meat to hurry down by the drive-in cuz one just got hit.What the heck, meat is meat.

gonfishn

Commander

You are what we call an adopted Southern Ridgerunner, You don't quite fit into the true ridgerunners Regions but you an honorable member..<br /><br />I think we all have a little redneck in us..It just that some of us show it alot more that others..<br /><br />But before you can be actual called one of us you first must adopt our Engish. You know like talkn,spelln,and all the other things that make you a true Ridgerunner..

woodrat

Ensign

hey skinnywater, <br /><br />its usally best to bleed em before loading them up in your rig...at least it'll slow em down a little.. :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Is this normal?...I don't know but I think I need to get me one of them there scanners :D

Stratosfied

Ensign

And you all call us southerners Rednecks?? What can you get off a run over deer? Most I've seen ain't worth bothering with. The buzzards gotta eat too.

gonfishn

Commander

Any one remember "Roosters"..They had a Different road kiil special every night,,Some nights Deer some nights possum or Skurell..If things really got scarce a stray cat or dog might be added in..Here Kitty Kitty..<br /><br />Those nights when there were alot of Northerners and East Coasters there skunk was served so they could feel like they were home.. :eek: :D

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've heard the meat is a bit over-tenderized after being whacked by a car. My one friend took a road kill and said he would never bother again.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by gonfishn:<br /> and all the other things ..
things = thangs

one more cast

Captain

I would only take the ones that have to be dispatched (as they say on the scanner). Not the pre tenderized ones. :p also most of the roads around here are in such bad shape you can't drive fast enough to splatter them. I remember one time when I was just little my dad stopped and picked up a rabbit that the car in front just hit. We ate it for supper. we were poor but never hungry.