Is this normal Redneck behavior?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Is this normal Redneck behavior?

Until the advent of chronic wasting disease, fresh roadkill deer were given to homeless shelters here in WI.<br /><br />Although you might be a redneck if you have to display your hunting tag on the back of your Ford instead of the back of your jacket. :p

FLATHEAD

Captain

Yep thats the redneck way OMC. They get whacked out on the road here quite a bit. They dont last more than a half hour and they are gone. <br /><br />I helped a buddy get one off the road one night and we took it to his place to clean it. I watched while he cut it open and he found out the stomach had been busted open inside the thing. Stink,, OH GOD all to high heaven. needless to say he had to get rid of it. <br /><br />I guess roadkill is alright as long as ya dont choke on the bone splinters :D <br /><br />Another buddy is a state cop and never seems to get his deer when anyone is hunting with him?? He always seems to turn up with one the day after a night shift on the turnpike!! I got to check one of those deer for the Firestone tread mark on it's back :p

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

1st yes your a redneck<br /><br />2nd father in law hit a deer one day with his tahoe, he reaches into the glovebox and gets out a penknife and goes outside, he comes back after a few minutes and I ask him what with the penknife, maybe 3 inches at best in length, he was "going to put the deer out of his misery" It is moments like this that I just bite my cheek to keep from laughing. I also have to travel with my camera, as it would have been a real moment to see him try ing to slit the throat of a badly wounded deer!! Oh the FIL is not a hunter in anyway<br /><br />3rd - friend of mine - lewis - had an uncle that had perfected the art of killing rabbits with his car by only hitting them in the head and but not running over them. Lewis was from hungary where the rabbits apparently much larger then here. He said his uncle would come over once a week with a rabbit!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

If you were a redneck, you would be totally confused posting. ?????

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Yall are gonna laufgh but this is the truth.<br /><br />Where my wife grew up they did not have deer, After we moved back to Minnesota was her first encounter eating them...She is VERY fond of the taste now. Four months after her first taste of venison she hit one on the way to work and called me to come check out the damage, after calming her down I had her show me where it was and loaded it up. She was quite skeptical to say the least...Till it got to the frypan!! For the weeks folowing she called me every time she seen a dead deer along the road. I finally convinced her to not call unless she new it was freshly killed.( I cooked some of this one for my visiting mother in law, wife made me promise not to tell her it was roadkill...she would have had a "Spell") <br /><br />All went well until she hit her next one, It was a decent sized fawn so she loaded it up in her truck and home she came, not so much as a call(at this point she wasn't even concerned with the damage, we had fresh venison)...WOW I was surprised that it held together while she loaded it. This thing was messed up!<br /><br />OK Babe New rule, Not only should they be fresh killed they should also still have some sembalance of there skeloton still intact.<br /><br />Guess you could say she is a roadkill convert now, But even I have my limits!...Good woman.

Carphunter

Commander

We tell people around here that if you "almost" hit a deer, then your a bad driver. ;)

spratt

Lieutenant

Here in Wa, at least in Kitsap County, the State Patrol comes by and tags the animal...then it is picked up and taken to the local prisons to feed the prisoners...if a citizen touches it after it is tagged, it is a crime!!! I stopped to read one of the tags once, and was kinda amazed at the wording. This state is very touchy about animals!!

KaGee

Admiral

Carphunter

Commander

Dang OMC, I think I saw that fella on "Americas Most Wanted".<br /><br />You didn't tell me that you were Tommy Chong. :p

one more cast

Captain

America's most wanted ? ummmmm... He don't live here no more and I forgot my, I mean his name!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sorry OMC, from the looks of that heater, I think you just proved that you ARE A REDNECK. :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd say it identifies the 'gatherer' more as a hunter than as a redneck.<br /><br />Both my nephew (lives in upstate NY) and brother (Utah) have picked up freshly hit deer for the meat. I'd classify neither as a redneck, but both are avid hunters.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

We issue roadkill permits here. We do have people that will look for fresh roadkill. Some use it for pet food, others for eating. You can only get a roadkill permit every 90 days, and technically the deer has to be gone at the end of the 90 days. <br />Although it is against the "rules" we have a list of needy families that we keep with us. When we find a good fresh one we call them to come get it. We will issue a permit for each member of the family to get around the rules. We have fed more than one family through the winter months this way.<br />The local rendering company is not allowed to pick the deer up anymore, because the game and parks says they are in possession illegally. The state highway workers won't pick them up because they don't have a place to dispose of them, the carp cops won't move them because it is not in their job description so they lay there and rot.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> hey skinnywater, <br /><br />its usally best to bleed em before loading them up in your rig...at least it'll slow em down a little.. :D
YUP! I think him and my brother both learned that the hard way! :) <br />Funny story skinnywater! My Brother and his partner clipped a deer on the way home from work in 74. Being against the law to kill a deer and take it home and having no tail gate on the back of his truck they put it in the cab :eek: <br /><br />Pretty much the same story except they were hurting for weeks.

one more cast

Captain

By deputydawg
Although it is against the "rules" we have a list of needy families that we keep with us. When we find a good fresh one we call them to come get it
Some rules were made to be broken and that is one of them.