Is this boat salvageable???

Tourq

Recruit
A friend has a Reinell that has been sitting in the elements for about ten years. Everything about the interior cloth and vinyl needs to be replaced. The trailer is in good condition, but at least two tires need to be replaced. I don't know if the boat will start or not, and I don't yet know how old it is.

She has asked me to get rid of it, but I want to know if there is any money to be made in doing that. Is it worth it for me to just put two new tires on and sell the whole thing for a couple bucks as is? Should I sell the trailer for $1,000, and it comes with a free boat? Is it worth it for me to see if I can get the motor running--will that make any difference? No matter what, I will not be doing any repair work, other than possibly a new battery, fluids change, and two new tires.

I appreciate the advice.

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5937.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If it has a volvo sx drive (kinda looks like it in the pic) the drive is worth a few bucks to someone

Depending on whether or not the engine was prepared for long term layup it could be fine (with fluid changes and full tune up with new fuel filters, maybe a carb rebuild if equipped), or it could be junk

Try to get as much info about the boat as possible. Model year, engine/drive package make/model and serial numbers, chance it could be a gem with a little money and elbow grease

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Anything is restorable/salvageable

To restore the boat, plan on spending about $7-10k and a year or two of your life

Then you will have a $5000 boat

New trailers are only $2200. If you can get $500 for the trailer with the boat on it so you do not have to pay disposal fees, I would do that.