Is this a fair trade?

Kobie

Cadet
I have a 14ft jon boat, trailer, 1961 10hp Evinrude, and trolling motor/battery that I have been trying to sell on craigslist. I put on there that i am open to trades for a good runabout or bass boat. I get an email back from this guy saying he wants to trade his 17ft Hydrasport bass boat with a 115 merc. He said he stripped out the carpet to replace the wood, but says the rest of the fiberglass is alright. He also says that the motor runs like a champ. I cant meet him until this weekend, but is there anything i need to worry about?

Attachments

• merc 115.jpg
    merc 115.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0
  • inside boat.jpg
    inside boat.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • rear boat.jpg
    rear boat.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat right side.jpg
    boat right side.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0

Provo5

Seaman
Re: Is this a fair trade?

He wants to trade you a project boat for a ready to use boat. That being said when you meet him, start adding up what it is going to cost to get his trade to a point that satifies you. Inspect the transom for rot. As well as the edges of the floor. The secound boat I bought with an outboard ran great on the trailer but had major problems surface after being put under load on the lake. Take it for a ride if you can.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what year is the motor, there are some that have NLA parts. looks, 70ish, which could be a problem motor for critical parts. if the deck is bad, most likely the transom, on that boat it is a royal PITA, to replace. look at it really good. you may be better off to keep your boat.

jasper60103

Commander

Smells like a money pit.
Do you want a bigger boat?
Your setup should sell for the right price.
I wouldn't do it.

Kobie

Cadet

Yes my boat is a little on the small side, and not the fastest thing on the water. The guy isnt exactly sure on the year of the motor or boat for that matter, but when i take a look at it, I will get some serial numbers. His reason for selling it is that he cant put this boat in the creek behind his house. I will give an update after I talk to him next, or see the boat in person.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your boat may or may not be worth much more, but I'd still avoid this deal and keep on trying to sell it outright because at least your boat runs.

Nandy

Commander

If the motor checks out and there is no sign of rot/water in the transom I would pull d trigguer in this one. Check, double check... good luck.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

That rig looks like it could cost you quite a few $ to get back in tip top shape. You definately need to run that motor under a load on a sea trial. You need to figure what it's worth versus what your rig can fetch ($1,200)? Even though your rig is not a high ticket one, jon's command a pretty good price cause everyone wants one.
Nightstalker

Kobie

Cadet

That rig looks like it could cost you quite a few $ to get back in tip top shape. You definately need to run that motor under a load on a sea trial. You need to figure what it's worth versus what your rig can fetch ($1,200)? Even though your rig is not a high ticket one, jon's command a pretty good price cause everyone wants one.
Nightstalker

Yes thats what I am afraid of, so I'm gonna see if i can take it for a spin. I have my boat priced at $1100, and i have had it on craigslist for about a week now. We will see how it turns up after I see the boat in person.

reelfishin

Captain

The way I see it, you know what you have know, and pretty much what its worth. If you jump into that project, you have no idea what to expect.
It's an older glass boat, with rotted wood. How much of a gambler are you?
My guess is that the odds are against you on this one.

I'd stay clear unless you can really get a good inspection of that boat and it's hull, not to mention a water test of the engine.
I'd always rather have a good small boat that runs than a heap of a project that doesn't which will no doubt cost me money.

If you sell your boat, then your options are open to buy any boat you want, not just that one that was offered to you.