Is there a good gelcoat compatible with Epoxy filler?

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting ready to bracket a 23 FT Glasply. I plan to plug the sterndrive hole and overlap the glass 3 to 4 inches onto the existing glass. I have some 2 part total fair epoxy that I wanted to use to fish fair the plug area and regelcoat the transom. Was going to use Vinester resin and 1708 Biaxial but have still considered using polyester. I also have two add knees to the inside and figure I could use the total fair to fillet the wooden knees prior to tabbing the knees to the hull and transom. This is my 1st boat project so any guidance would be appreciated

todhunter

Canoeist
I'm a newbie, but I think you'll need a polyester based fairing compound if you want to use Gelcoat over the top of it, and won't be able to use the epoxy-based fairing compound. I think you could use the epoxy-based fairing compound if you were going to use paint over it instead of gelcoat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Watch some boatworks today videos @youtube. He does a pretty good job in 1 or 2 discussing gelcoat over epoxy, and the good vs bad...

In general, no gel over epoxy.

Some epoxy is gel compatible, but not all, and many shops WANT to sell you stuff, so yeah, sure, ours is compatible.