Is the best way to repair this on the bottom of my Hull

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1996 Sea Ray 210 and the underside of the hull on the bow has slight damage I guess from previous owner running the boat on shore.

It doesn't leak it's not cracked there's no water intrusion couple friends told me that they've seen much worse and that it's fairly common on older boats nothing to be concerned about but I still would like to try to repair this.

Since it appears to be almost superficial and more of an eyesore...

I was considering using some type of putty like marine Tex

Feels like I should be able to clean and prepare the area and apply it as smooth as possible let it dry and then sand it smooth?

PXL_20210617_171159868.jpg

PXL_20210617_171525132.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd probably use gelcoat paste, but Marine Tex should work. If you plan on beaching like the previous owner, you'd be smart to get KeelShield.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would mix up some gel coat with fumed silica (the paste that JAS indicated)

then purchase a keel guard. did that on my 2002 SR 190

todhunter

Canoeist
Mine has a similar spot - my plan is sand out the edges, apply thickened gelcoat, fair it in, then put a Keel Shield over it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Marine-tex will be the toughest and best of the items mentioned, but it takes longer to set and is harder to work with. Make sure to sand and wipe the surface of the repair with acetone to clean it up.

If you plan to use Marine-Tex, mis it with the hardener, trowel it on, and let her sit until she is the consistency of cottage cheese. Now a piece of steel (avail most places that sell Bondo) with "cheese grater" holes can rough the surface to the right shape. After she sets hard (24 hours), a good sanding will give her final shape.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Are you sure the fiberglass wasn't compromised?

Looks like a bunch of holes, kind of like a sponge.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd poke that fiberglass with a screwdriver, and if it's solid (which I bet it is), I'd cover it, add a keel protector, and be done with it.

MarineTex or gelcoat paste will both work, but the epoxy will be considerably harder to sand and shape.