Is primer nesassary?

surferguy001

Seaman
do i need to use primer for fiberglass and wood (above the water line.) i can get the paint, and non-slip additive for the same price as the primer alone. what will happen if i dont use it?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is primer nesassary?

primer for what my friend?.....im not sure what you want to do?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yes, otherwise the paint won't stick...just like when you sunburn, then peel.

I recommend it especially since you will investing a significant amount of time into the paint job. Might as well do it right so it will last.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Follow the manufactures recommendations otherwise guess what they will tell you if you complain that your boat is peeling 6 months after you painted it?

I bet their first words are did you prime it?

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

sand very well,prime it, scuff sand, apply color paint, sand, apply color, sand, apply color, final sand with 600grit or finer. after each color application sand with finer grit paper till it shines, then maybe buff w/ polishing compund

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you watch some of the videos from Jamestown Distributors....'they' say, with properly sanded fiberglass, you don't necessarily need to use primer

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

primer is like an insurance policy, you dont want to spend the money on it if you dont have to, but when things go wrong you wish you had it. i would prime most any bare(not previously painted) surface.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I did not prime when I painted either of my aluminum boats. The original paint jobs were still in excellent physical condition (no peeling or flaking). I scuffed them up thoroughly with scotch-brite type pads. Not sure if fiberglass with gel coat requires different prep.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

surferguy, you are painting an newly fabricated engine box/cover correct?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the bottom side using easypoxy I did not prime, but wished I would have. Easypoxy doesn't require a primer unless the fiberglass/gelcoat has imperfections in it. On the top side I will have to prime with their undercoating as I have tons of micro gelcoat cracks that easypoxy just flows into.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Gel coat and/or bare fiberglass is a very good substrate for paint and typically needs no primer for a very good bond. The main reason for a primer on these surfaces is to hide and fill all of the imperfections that may result in a poor surface profile.

Bondo

Staff member

The main reason for a primer on these surfaces is to hide and fill all of the imperfections that may result in a poor surface profile
Ayuh,... Agreed,...
Primer is for 2 reasons,...
To hi-light the imperfections so you can see 'em, to sand out the imperfections,...
And,...
To give a uniform color to the substrate, so it takes less paint to hide the shadows...

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

thought you were doning an engine cover
i think i will defer to bondo and ondarvr on this one if they say its ok to paint over bare glass its ok, they havent steered anyone wrong that i know of.
i personally would probly prime it, but im the over kill guy. D

surferguy001

Seaman

Ya it is the engine cover, sorry i don't know if mentioned that early. Ya I'm going to use primer most definitely. thank you everyone for the great advice as always