Is it worth it?

Stykbowhntr

Seaman
I'm new here, so hopefully I get this right. I was given a boat last summer and am trying to decide if it is worth the effort to restore it. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't taken possession of it yet. All I know is that it is a Lonestar.

Attachments

• P2090014.jpg
    P2090014.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P2090015.jpg
    P2090015.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P2090016.jpg
    P2090016.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is it worth it?

Well you really have to ask yourself that question sir. Is this boat a boat you would like to see yourself using? Does this boat fit your needs in a boat? Do you like the boat and like working on boats?

It really comes down to weather or not you enjoy restoring boats and if this particular boat would suite your needs.

If you have the budget to restore the boat, i can see you being able to fully restore it for about $2000 or so if you have a good usable motor for it. If you need a good motor then the sky is the limit but there are good deals to be had.

Its a labor of love when it comes to boat restoration, so ask yourself if you love to do it and then get started.

It looks like its a sound and sturdy hull. It certainly needs a full tear down and rebuild from the ground up.

Good luck!
RC

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the forum. It looks like the trailer is way too short for the boat, so add that cost/investment to your consideration. If you undertake it, it looks like you'll be starting at square one.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

Since this is my first attempt at a restoration, I'm not even certain where to begin. Getting the boat to my house would probably be a good start. :) The trailer pictured is not for this boat. I have the trailer and it needs work too. Also included with the boat is a 40hp Johnson which may or may not run, but considering that it cost me nothing to this point, how can I complain?

Dan

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Well, at the very least, you can figure out if you really will love the labor of restoration or not. You have all the pieces, it's a matter of getting things together. With the motor, if it's complete, it turns freely, has good compression, then it's worth trying to get it running. Restoration is not for the faint of heart no matter how "small" the project. You can't expect it to be complete in a couple of weeks and have a fully functioning boat and motor and trailer. If you want to get on the water quickly with your setup, then it's not going to be worth it. But if you are patient and willing to sacrifice, the rewards are great.

If you choose to do the restoration, you have a lot of people here who will be willing to answer any questions. After getting the boat home and making some sort of support for the boat, where I would start is getting all the wood out (floors, dash, transom, etc.). After the wood is out (and foam if there is any), test for leaks by filling the boat with water.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

If you aren't in love with the boat.. no.
If you value your time, no
If you love working on boats "just because", maybe
If the preceding line is true and enough parts are missing or many need replacing, no.
If you made it this far, probably.

Hope that helps.

bananaboater

Ensign

If you have the desire and skills to tackle this it will be a great reward. I only see promise. This forum is here to help you if you decide to take the plunge.

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

I appreciate all of the great response here. What skills I don't have my brother definately does. I'll certainly be asking questions if I decide to tackle this project.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I think the one thing you should not consider are skills. I had zero idea what i was doing prior to my restore and it is going just fine (until I got to the paint part). It is much easier than you would think, beyond the long hours and hard work of it, and you get a killer rush when the rebuild part of a rebuild begins. The skills come easy, take from a first-timer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It aluminum.....all aluminum boats are worth restoring :D

(except ones with severe corrosion issues)

Triton II

Commander

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

After the wood is out (and foam if there is any), test for leaks by filling the boat with water.

Two questions:
1. I have most of the wood out. Is there typically foam under the decking?
2. Can I assume that by filling the boat with water that you mean to the waterline or slightly above it? Probably a stupid question.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't know about the foam on that old a boat. If there is any it will probably just be sheets of white styro.

Yes fill to the waterline and look for leaks. Be very careful though as water is heavy and you don't want to mess up your trailer or bend the boat or something like that.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

God I love aluminum boats.

Replace the wood, carpet it, and call it a day. here are my guesstimates for prices:

Trailer -

Tires $100
Bunks, brackets, and carpet $100
Lights and registration $70
Grease gun & grease $30
Paint & sand paper $35

Boat -
Exterior wood for decking, $50 Or $160 for marine grade
Telflex rotary steering system $100
Telflex cheepo steering wheel $20
Good pretty wood for dash $30
Home depot exterior carpet $60

That'll get you started, the expensive part is going to be your outboard,
Lots to consider there, pull start or electric,power trim and tilt, year....

If you wanted a simply pull start outboard, and an evinrude simplex controller, it probably be pretty cheep

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

I did some more ripping and tearing last night. I got all of the plywood off the deck with the exception of the piece between the seat boxes (haven't figured out how they attached it) and in the bow. The transom has some rotten edges and I should have that out before the weekend.

The trailer(s) pictured are not mine. I was given a trailer which my brother is going to reinforce. I can get the steel pretty cheap through work and my brother has all of the welding equipment. He used to build trailers for a living.

I was also given an outboard, but it is a short shaft and I have yet to see if it runs. I may be able to get a few bucks for it. My future son-in-law works for a local marina and has been to school for outboard repair. I'll have him keep an eye out for a good motor. He can also get parts at a discount. I'll have to remember to thank my daughter for that. :)

jonesg

Admiral

It aluminum.....all aluminum boats are worth restoring :D

(except ones with severe corrosion issues)

Absolutely, current condition with a quick general cleanup its worth $1000.
I think you will be hard pressed to spend over $800 for a new floor, the rest of the stuff can be had on craigslist cheap.
$300 trailer and you've got a nice tinny that will hold its value extremely well.
Smaller outboards, under 50 hp are cheap and easy to find.

If it was glass I'd say junk it.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's a nice boat- I love classic lonestars- Who wouldn't, with those fins??

I'd restore it in a heartbeat!

Do you know what year it is?? It looks like a Malibu to me...

You can find copies of the original brochures here-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

That's a nice boat- I love classic lonestars- Who wouldn't, with those fins??

I'd restore it in a heartbeat!

Do you know what year it is?? It looks like a Malibu to me...

You can find copies of the original brochures here-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

It is a 1959 Newport as near as I can tell. There is no serial number on the boat...only the discolored spot where the tag once was. The hull seems really solid, although I haven't checked for leaks yet. Anyone got any design plans for a cradle?