Is it ok to put passenger car tires on a boat trailer?

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is it ok to put passenger car tires on a boat trailer?

Putting car tires on a trailer is like putting a training bra on Dolly Parton...

Actually I believe it would be more like putting a jack strap on her (it just doesn't belong).

Automotive and trailer suspension systems act in different ways (hence the reason trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall and a lot of times operate at higher psi than a car tire).

Sorry, my opinion is car tires belong on cars---trailer tires belong on trailers.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I experience a monumentally higher failure rate for ST (trailer tires) than I do for passenger car tires...that's why I don't like trailer tires. I'd say about 1 in 5 of my trailer tires ends in a catastropic failure, and while I've never experienced a failure of a car tire on my trailers, I have had 3 tread separations on car tires (on cars) in my 50 years of driving; all three were noted/changed before they blew.

x's a million. every trailer tire I've had blow, which has been several and all properly inflated, blew out the sidewall so I don't by the stronger sidewall story at all. I run LT's on all the boat trailers I've had with never an issue, ever.

skargo

Banned

Some of you guys need to run proper inflation, and have the proper load carrying tire if you are blowing out every trailer tire, that's just crazy. :eek:

I've pulled various trailers for many years with no blowouts at all. And I always use trailer tires.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

What is the rear axle on a front wheel drive car ?

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

deleted

made in china

Seaman

Aren't most trailer tires made in China? I don't trust that crap at all. Unfortunately, the used boat I bought this year has Chinese tires on it. Doesn't give me the warm fuzzy at all.

I don't care what others say, I'd go with LT tires that are made in USA. Check the load ratings and get the highest rated tires you can afford.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

The trailer radials that came new on my SeaRay's trailer separated after not many miles. Since I was out in the middle of nowhere (La Ronge) when the tires failed, I replaced them with automotive radials. That was about ten years ago and the automotive tires are still fine.

skargo

Banned

Since you guys don't care what others say. Make sure you tell your insurance agent that when you have a wreck, when they find out you have the wrong equipment on your trailer, your claim will be denied.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Since you guys don't care what others say. Make sure you tell your insurance agent that when you have a wreck, when they find out you have the wrong equipment on your trailer, your claim will be denied.

I don't agree. Auto tires can be used and there are guidelines for their use on trailers. As long as you use the reduced load rating as spelled out by DOT and the tire manufacturers then you are doing nothing wrong and the insurance company has no basis for denying a claim.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it OK to put passenger car tires on a boat trailer?

Re: Is it OK to put passenger car tires on a boat trailer?

As long as you use the reduced load rating as spelled out by DOT.
OK...I will ask you. Do you have a link to the DOT regulations that state this?

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like even they're saying LT tires are fine...

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

One reason for having the "trailer" designation on trailer tires is that many trailer tires are lower quality tires not suitable for use on passenger vehicles. They don't need to generate traction or to be capable of handling the sudden manoevers required of steering tires. Cheap tires are just one part of the equation for building low cost trailers, including boat trailers, campers, and other types of trailers.

Based on my experience, I would suggest that most automotive tires are of better quality than most trailer tires. I would be far more concerned if someone put trailer tires on their car or pickup truck than the other way around.

Would you put a $30 or $50 tire on your car or pickup? (If you do, please tell me where you drive and I'll stay away.) Yet millions run cheap, low quality tires like that on their trailers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/trailer_tires_101.pdf

here's another..... If google ever gets the credit it deserves 1/2 of all forum questions will disappear..
Do you honestly think that a trailer tire manufacturer is going to say anything other than their product is the best and only thing to use in the application?

Google up an unbiased 3rd party opinion next time. I'm sure you could find a document somewhere where DOT or a company that doesn't sell trailer tires addresses the issue.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure you could find a document somewhere where DOT or a company that doesn't sell trailer tires addresses the issue.
You stated earlier that DOT states that you can derate the the passenger car tires by 10%. Since you have seen this, can you share the link to the regulation?

Has anyone seen a trailer manufacturer put passenger car tires instead of ST tires on a brand new trailer? I am talking about 15" or lower tires here.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Do you honestly think that a trailer tire manufacturer is going to say anything other than their product is the best and only thing to use in the application?

Google up an unbiased 3rd party opinion next time. I'm sure you could find a document somewhere where DOT or a company that doesn't sell trailer tires addresses the issue.

Yes I honestly think so.... In today's sue happy world a big name manufacturer has FAR more to lose by making grossly misleading claims than a few sales.

You get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Carlisle makes all kinds of tires..... Try reading the articles.... They make ABSOLUTELY no recomendation of brand but rather just spell out the differences between passenger tires and trailer tires.

I have NO interest in opinions on a subject like this.... technical data is FAR more useful..... Heck there was a time that most people had the opinion that the human body could not withstand 55 mph.....

Oh and dingbat.... had you read the articles before jumping up on the soapbox you would have seen that the first link actually supported your 10% claim.... of course I suppose that won't matter to you since it wasn't an "unbiased" source;)

haulnazz15

Captain

Automotive and trailer suspension systems act in different ways (hence the reason trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall and a lot of times operate at higher psi than a car tire).

Sorry, my opinion is car tires belong on cars---trailer tires belong on trailers.

Funny, my 2008 F150 has the same suspension in the rear as my boat trailer does: Leaf springs. We have used trailer tires on ours, but I wouldn't hesitate to use passenger tires or LT tires as long as the weight rating was in check.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Funny, my 2008 F150 has the same suspension in the rear as my boat trailer does: Leaf springs.
What's funny is that you think your 2008 f150 has the SAME suspension as a boat trailer ..... short thick stiff springs usually without rubber bushings and also with no shocks...... These details DO make a difference....

The forces that act on a trailer are indeed far different than those on a vehicle. Also the suspension does behave differently even if it shares some similar components....

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So are ST tires your only choice? Not at all. It is possible, and practical, to use automotive light-truck (LT) radial tires on your trailer, provided you keep the load rating in mind. LT tires are also designed for heavy-duty use on pickups and such, and are fine alternatives to ST tires. If you get a flat that destroys a tire such that it can?t be repaired, make sure that the replacement tire is of the same design (whether ST or LT, for example) and size as the original, and has a load rating that matches or exceeds the rating of your original tires.