Is it ok to put passenger car tires on a boat trailer?

cullen493

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 1972 fabuglas boat that came with a dilly trailer the boat weighs about 2000#. I need to replace the tires and I was wondering if it is alright to replace them with regular passenger car tires instead of st trailer tires? I can't find any st tires I don't know where to look. Any ideas? The size is 225/70/15

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it ok to put passenger car tires on a boat trailer?

I've run car radials on my boat railer for over 50,000 miles and wouldn't use anything else. Just make sure you're within the load rating of the tires...

lbfd48

Cadet

Yep, like stated above make sure your in your load rating, thats all I use on my trailers. But, Im sure someone will say, your only suppost to use trailer tires on trailers lol.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

ST tires have better sidewall strength (helps with sway) and better UV protectors. If I recall correctly the UV prtection in car tires are released when driving (hence they rot quicker if not moved) trailer tires UV protection is designed to be released while stationary. Not that they wont dry rot just not as quick. You can get radial trailer tires as well for better ride and wear. Can't beleive that you can't find a 15" trailer tire they are pretty common. But the simple answer is that I have done it in the past and never had a problem, but I would not endorse it.

shuswap119

Seaman

Hey cullen,

As some others have said already, do what you like, no one is watching are they:eek:? I suspect they make ST tires for a reason, kind of like all the other crazy rules they make to protect us from ourselves. If you can't find any ST trailer tires, try checking with a tire store, not a department store or a big box store, but an actual tire store where tires are what they do. A ST205/75R15 should do you fine.

Regards,

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Did you try WalMart? They sell all kinds of trailer tires and wheels.

When I bought my rig it had radials. I went to trailer tires, and it had noticeably less bounce and sway.

Also, I have heard of people having issues with lawsuits and insurance claims when having an accident with the "wrong kind" of tires on the trailer. May be urban myth, but in this litigious society, I'd not risk it.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I run ST 205/75/15 on my utility trailer and have never had an issue finding them. They would be about 0.3" shorter and 0.5" wider than a 225/70/15

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have always used trailer tires as that is what they are designed for. Extra side wall strength is never a bad thing to have and is there for a reason. You are down to a load and capacity calculation. The stronger the side wall the less sideways give the tire has.
You pays your money and you takes your risk and choice !!

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

ST tires have better sidewall strength (helps with sway) and better UV protectors. If I recall correctly the UV prtection in car tires are released when driving (hence they rot quicker if not moved) trailer tires UV protection is designed to be released while stationary.

bought trailer tires 3 years in a row due to cracking and splitting over winter...and they were always blocked up off the ground free spinning........ went with a light truck tire , lasted 3 years now with no problems! and they have been sitting on the ground to boot!

just had to replace a brand new trailer tire installed last season on my fathers trailer, the outer skin had a good 4 inch split and separated just sitting in the garage.
it could be because of buying the cheaper line of tires sold here.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a 1972 fabuglas boat that came with a dilly trailer the boat weighs about 2000#. I need to replace the tires and I was wondering if it is alright to replace them with regular passenger car tires instead of st trailer tires? I can't find any st tires I don't know where to look. Any ideas? The size is 225/70/15

It is all dependent on the weight of the trailer and boat combo, Tires specific to trailers have a much higher load rating than passenger tires. Thus better for heavy trailers. As long as your within the load rating you'll be fine.

Most respectable tire joints have trailer tires in stock, and i've found them to be very reasonably priced.

T

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The US Department of Transportation states to reduce the automotive tire load rating by 10% when used in a trailer application. If you could find an LT tires in the size you need that would be better yet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The US Department of Transportation states to reduce the automotive tire load rating by 10% when used in a trailer application. If you could find an LT tires in the size you need that would be better yet.

You have a link to where that is stated?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some people use auto tires on their trailers. As long as the load rating fits they usually think they get away with it.

Some people use auto oil in their outboards. They usually think they get away with that, too.

When there is a product designed to be optimum for a particular application I generally prefer it to another product designed for a different application.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got to watch the date of manufacture on tires. Don't want to buy a tire that's been in stock a few years.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have Maxxis 15" trailer tires on one trailer that I haul my field trial dogs in. My boat has a dual axel and has 13" Goodyear Marathon radials. The Maxxis are easily found by my local tire dealer.

mikeroche

Seaman Apprentice

try trailer parts super store:)

shuswap119

Seaman

Got to watch the date of manufacture on tires. Don't want to buy a tire that's been in stock a few years.

Rule of thumb is about 7 years. Funny thing is 10 years ago we didn't have any thumbs for that rule;). Or would it be , no rules for that thumb?

Regards,

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rule of thumb is about 7 years. Funny thing is 10 years ago we didn't have any thumbs for that rule;). Or would it be , no rules for that thumb?

Regards,

With the economic turn down, some tire manufacturers aren't making or selling as many tires (others, like Cooper, have not lost much, if any, business)

So I suspect tires not shipped off to Africa or South America, will just set in a warehouse unsold.

I wouldn't buy a new tire that had been setting in a warehouse for more than two years. More boat trailer tires probably go bad from age than wear (not including misapplication).

I have an old Wagon I put new 80k tires on and then mothballed the car. In (7) years, the tires only got 3k miles on them. The Wagon was put back into service after (7) years. Within one week, all four of these expensive, premium tires had tread separation. (With about 90% of the tread left and the 80K warranty still in effect, the dealer put on a new set of 80k's for $50.00.)

From experience, age matters when it comes to tires.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I experience a monumentally higher failure rate for ST (trailer tires) than I do for passenger car tires...that's why I don't like trailer tires. I'd say about 1 in 5 of my trailer tires ends in a catastropic failure, and while I've never experienced a failure of a car tire on my trailers, I have had 3 tread separations on car tires (on cars) in my 50 years of driving; all three were noted/changed before they blew.

skargo

Banned

Putting car tires on a trailer is like putting a training bra on Dolly Parton...