Is it common to replace 175/80R13 tires with 185/80D13?

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
210
It looks like there is plenty of room in my fenders. The 185s have a D range 1660 lbs load capacity vs. the 175s C 1360 lbs capacity. There is only a $10 cost increase. I would assume the 185 may last longer. Thanks
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,602
Re: Is it common to replace 175/80R13 tires with 185/80D13?

It looks like there is plenty of room in my fenders. The 185s have a D range 1660 lbs load capacity vs. the 175s C 1360 lbs capacity. There is only a $10 cost increase. I would assume the 185 may last longer. Thanks

Will work just fine, but notice they are bias ply tires and not radials. They do make radial load range D tires. I like bias ply on trailers but many will come along which do not.
 

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
9,838
Re: Is it common to replace 175/80R13 tires with 185/80D13?

And you are still limited by the axle rating
 

slowleak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
210
Re: Is it common to replace 175/80R13 tires with 185/80D13?

A larger tire will mean you will need to go deeper in the water to launch and load.
 

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
210
Re: Is it common to replace 175/80R13 tires with 185/80D13?

A larger tire will mean you will need to go deeper in the water to launch and load.

LOL .3" deeper. Thanks for the replies everyone. I am pushing close to 2400 LBS so the extra capacity of the tires will be worth it.
 

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
15,053
Re: Is it common to replace 175/80R13 tires with 185/80D13?

I like ST bias tires on my tandem trailers. Prevents sidewall squirming that I had with radial ply tires rated 4 ply running heavy loads....radials weren't overloaded.

Mark
 
Top