Is fuel really that expensive? or are we just cheap.

txswinner

Banned
Re: Is fuel really that expensive? or are we just cheap.

rwise, You sound like another of those liberals, you expect that you should share in the profits of the company. I am kidding, the death of unions in this country has been a huge detriment to the working man. Yeah they had a lot of bad management, no different than much of todays corporations. The solution is in control, oil in mideast cost under $3.50 per barrel to produce. So who gets the $61 +. It is the oil companies and it is price gouging.

txswinner

Banned

gonefishing, you mean you are not in the middle class. The middle class defined in our great tax cut began at $110,000 so do not feel you are the only person left behind, if your income is under that amount.<br /><br />Before I get attacked as a liberal, I was fortunate to inherit a small business which has become very lucrative and we had a very nice profit last year. We paid our 140+ employees for their hard work and dedication (this was earned not a gift) a flat bonus per employee regardless of title 50% of the profit at the end of the year. Yes I did very well. So left wing welfaring giving communist, I am not, but some things are just not right.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Who here would pay 2.60 for a gal. of beer? Man I know I would in a heart beat!! So lets hurry up and use up the supply and go on to something more reasonable and less exspensive. Nothing will change until it has to.

txswinner

Banned

James, I like your motto. Goes along with don't ask you may get what you ask for.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for all the trees.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

craze1cars,<br />Great theory, but you have to have the discretionary income to invest to make your plan work. Now it seems that’s going to buy gas. The last company I worked for matched the 401k contributions dollar for dollar up to six percent. My old boss (company owner) could not fathom any one not starting at the full matching amount. The fact MOST of the employees were living pay check to pay check did not matter to him. He could not understand why they did not invest the full 6%.

txswinner

Banned

Limited-Time, We match up to 10% and have a 85% max. participation at my company. Usually, matched at our year end profit sharing. I am very fortunate to have great employees, they have made my life most comfortable and I hope they feel the same about me.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did some research to find out how much profit the oil companies are actually making. I was suprised to find how it compares with other industries.<br /><br />
graph.jpg

rwise

Captain

book juggling is common in big business, when the IT department comes in to work on my desktop they charge my department $60 per hour per man. We work for the same company, they get paid about $12 per hour and use no parts most of the time. So they show less profit because they had to spend $120 to reboot my PC.<br /><br />I reboot my own PC this is just a for instance. (I reboot my own PC) profit figures can be misleading at best.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Limited-Time, We match up to 10% and have a 85% max. participation at my company. Usually, matched at our year end profit sharing. I am very fortunate to have great employees, they have made my life most comfortable and I hope they feel the same about me.
That’s outstanding tx. But my point was these people could not (in their opinion) take a 6% pay cut, and still make ends meet. My boss saw it as them passing up on a 6% pay increase. Plus it limited the amount HE could contribute.

dolluper

Captain

$4.50Can a gallon now that's a BAR-goon Eh!!!<br />$4.00Can an American gallon that's a better bargoon eh!!<br />OJ is starting to sound better

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Cranky18:<br /> I did some research to find out how much profit the oil companies are actually making. I was suprised to find how it compares with other industries.<br /><br />
graph.jpg
Here's another free tip that this chart illustrates really well. Again, look at the BIG picture. When gas goes up like it does, who makes the most money? NOT just the oil companies (though they certainly do make more) as everyone assumes.<br /><br />The REAL get-rich companies are the BANKS...the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES. Let's think this through in VERY basic terms. When gas is suddenly becoming less affordable, the American way says we have to to buy it anyway because it's a NEED. So what do more people do? They CHARGE IT. Now the bank makes a transaction fee on the purchase that you would have previously paid cash for. Then they send you a bill, and you STILL can't afford to pay it. So now you pay a portion and they start to make a profit on the INTEREST. Or you pay it late and the bank makes a profit on a LATE FEE.<br /><br />Guess what. Banks and credit card companies are ALSO publicly owned. Do you want to put some money in your pocket as a direct result of high GAS PRICES? Invest in a bank TODAY. Preferably, one that really focuses on providing gas rebate credit cards. 6 months from now, I promise you they will all be reporting record profits, and stock prices will jump.<br /><br />As for Limited-Time pointing out that I have the discretionary income to do these things, he's absolutely right. And that is no accident because it was all earned by hard work and careful thought. 20 to 25 years ago I took about $300 (a large percentage of my "estate"), did some thinking and research, and took a calculated risk and invested it instead of spending it or putting it in a low interest bank account. I learned from my successes and failures over the years, and am now preparing to retire very comfortably well before the age of 60. I'm looking forward to working with Habitat for Humanity and building houses for the needy very soon. I've been a regular blue-collar working soul much like many here...and most of my EARNED income has come from turning wrenches on cars, handyman work, and driving trucks, at annual salaries in the sub $50K level. But my NON-earned income, because of a $300 start many years ago, far surpasses that now.<br /><br />And in todays' world with the internet at our fingertips, doing what I did before the internet existed is downright easy. But you gotta THINK, and of course DO IT. Unless you're born into a wealthy family, you don't become rich by accident, you become rich by using your head.<br /><br />I realize I've gone WAY off the topic of this thread here so I'll stop my preaching. But I'm frankly just hoping to provide a service to maybe a few young people who are starting out in the working world who may read this and have a better life, simply because they see the truly big picture that's available to EVERYONE willing to that put some effort and thought into their future, and learning how the WHOLE world goes round. OR for that matter, the 50 year old who thinks it's too late because he's becoming obsolete in the workforce....you have a brian and access to the internet, too. Use it to your benefit and make up for lost time. But only if you want to, of course. But if you're satisifed with your life the way it is then congratulations, you have truly achieved success and you should be very proud.<br /><br />If we take the time spent complaining about the problems of the world, and apply it toward either solving the problems or finding opportunities within the "problems," life will be good, I promise!<br /><br />Peace out!

txswinner

Banned

Stock investments are not reflective of the profitability of the company (Finance 101). Two values people have to company: Risk Taker (paid in dividends for investment) Employees (paid for production of company to make profits). I the employees (Management Team) steals the profit (money for dividends) by bonus payments to themselves, after all what one person is worth 10 million to a company, then dividends suffer.<br /><br />Do not confuse this with the microsofts of the world, the risk takers are still running it. I am talking about the Enrons, Exxons, Halliburtons, Worldcom's and a lot more companies and major corps.

txswinner

Banned

Our employees make lots of money for the company, and my life is what it is because of them. However, we are small (about 140) and I know everyone so it is easier to feel the positive response from a decent pay rate. We have a rule that no supervisor can make more than twice an employee directing under them. That limits all the way to the top.

gonefishie

Commander

I heard a comment by the Energy Commission today, they said that they can't do anything about the rising gas price. The only advise they have is to conserve fuel consumption. What a pathetic excuse! the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer. How the heck are we gonna CONSERVE when we have to drive so far to get to anywhere in America? especially middle America! Even if we conserve fuel the price would still rise because of OPEC. These are the people who sit around and determines how much oil they should pump and how much they should be. We lower demand, they cut supply by stop pumping oil. Demand and supply stay even, there won't be any surplus and we're back to square one. If we all conserve drastically there will be a surplus for only a short time. The only way price goes down is if we all stop using gas altogether. I supposes we could use smaller vehicle like they do in Europe but what are we gonna do with our boat? Man this sucks!<br />By the way, txswinner> what business you're running that so lucrative if you don't mind me asking?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Dont forget, the oil companies are a bit worried too. They enjoy the short term profits, but are worried the high gas prices will slow down the economy.<br /><br />OPEC finally understood that if you keep the oil prices at a moderate level, they actually make more money in the long term.<br /><br />The funny thing is that now OPEC does NOT controll the oil prices. They are darn near maxed out on production.<br /><br />Ken<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I don't think the price of gas compared to OJ or milk is relevant. the only relevant comparison is the price of gas today with the price of gas last week or last month or last year. I made financial commitments when it cost $25 to fill my tank, now it costs $40. It keeps rising, it forces me to reallocate my limited resources, change my behavior. If my salary were indexed to the price of gasoline I wouldn't care if it went up to $25/gallon.

inlet

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like Venezuela is the place to be.<br /><br /><br />NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – Gasoline prices in the United States, which have recently hit record highs, are actually much lower than in many countries. Drivers in some European cities, like Amsterdam and Oslo, are paying nearly 3 times more than those in the U.S.<br /><br />The main factor in price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.<br /><br />In a few Latin America and Middle-East nations, such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said. All prices updated March, 2005.<br /><br /><br />Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon <br />Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48 <br />Norway Oslo $6.27 <br />Italy Milan $5.96 (1.90C$ per litre) <br />Denmark Copenhagen $5.93 <br />Belgium Brussels $5.91 <br />Sweden Stockholm $5.80 <br />United Kingdom London $5.79 <br />Germany Frankfurt $5.57 <br />France Paris $5.54 <br />Portugal Lisbon $5.35 <br />Hungary Budapest $4.94 <br />Luxembourg $4.82 <br />Croatia Zagreb $4.81 <br />Ireland Dublin $4.78 <br />Switzerland Geneva $4.74 <br />Spain Madrid $4.55 <br />Japan Tokyo $4.24 <br />Czech Republic Prague $4.19 <br />Romania Bucharest $4.09 <br />Andorra $4.08 <br />Estonia Tallinn $3.62 <br />Bulgaria Sofia $3.52 <br />Brazil Brasilia $3.12 <br />Cuba Havana $3.03 <br />Taiwan Taipei $2.84 <br />Lebanon Beirut $2.63 <br />South Africa Johannesburg $2.62 <br />Nicaragua Managua $2.61 <br />Panama Panama City $2.19 <br />Russia Moscow $2.10 <br />Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74 <br />Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91 <br />Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78 <br />Egypt Cairo $0.65 <br />Nigeria Lagos $0.38 <br />Venezuela Caracas $0.12 <br /><br /><br />Source: air-inc.com<br /><br />More on gas prices »»