Is fuel really that expensive? or are we just cheap.

magster65

Commander
Re: Is fuel really that expensive? or are we just cheap.

I feel like griping... the gas prices just went up to $4.95 from my last post 3 hours ago when they were $4.77. Yes I'm serious.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm going to love it when it gets up there even more. That is when the 12 year old geek will engineer the next alternative energy source. I hope it runs off water and completely upsets the petro industry making all oil burners obsolete.<br /><br />I think steam would be the answer, but with steam being regulated as in boilers. It will never have a chance to happen. Again, beauracratic bullcrap! Yes I know steam is dangerous. So is hauling around large quantites of flammable liquid.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

"I feel like griping... the gas prices just went up to $4.95 from my last post 3 hours ago when they were $4.77. Yes I'm serious"<br /><br />Look at the bright side.... at 12 MPG it's only .41 cents.... Still wouldn't walk a mile that cheap<br /><br />and THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

guys you should try living in the UK petrol is £5 per gallon($8) the minimum wage is £5 per hour £3 per hour minus tax etc so weve got to work our *** of for almost 2 hours to put one gallon in the tank!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />
Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />we pay less for gasoline and diesel than almost the entire planet.
We pay the same price for oil that they do. Any extra they have to pay they brought on themselves...
Uh, I think that is what I said. The difference is taxes, transportation and sometimes subsidies . . . :confused:

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />Uh, I think that is what I said. The difference is taxes, transportation and sometimes subsidies . . . :confused:
My point is they have no reason to complain, and we do...even though our gas is cheaper.<br /><br />To those in other contries complaining about $4+, get off your butt and do something about it. Talk to your governmet. Complain. Protest. Start a revolution. Do whatever you do in your country to get things changed. In the US, even if the president wanted cheaper gas there's nothing he could do about it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If I remember correctly oil costs the Saudis about $2.00 a barrel to get it out of the ground. $2.00 to $64.00. Hmm, that's a whole lot of financing for those radical Muslims.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> If I remember correctly oil costs the Saudis about $2.00 a barrel to get it out of the ground. $2.00 to $64.00. Hmm, that's a whole lot of financing for those radical Muslims.
Boomer,<br /><br />Please tell me you're not recommending price controls . . . I was just reading all of your fine posts on the Dear Liberal thread. Shouldn't all good business peoples price to what the market will bear? I definitely don't like money going to radicals from whatever source, but remember higher prices will open up the biz for some less risky sources, right?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't care. My commute to work is exactly 9/10 of a mile. Nice, huh? :p Seriously tho, we're being raped. I'm willing to bet that the average American travels a lot farther to work than the average European (nothing against our friends across the pond.) Bottom line, we have states that are larger than entire European countries. My point is, we drive a h*** of a lot more than most others on this planet. No wonder we're being taken advantage of.

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with heyttown. I don't like the prices, but I can live with it. What bothers me is the fluctuation. In my town, gas can vary by as much as .30 from one end of town to the other (2 miles) and that is at the same gas station chain. And it will vary as much as .25/gal over the day at a station if the price of a barrel goes up a dollar. I don't care how you look at it, that increase should be close to linear, not exponential.

mattttt25

Commander

it pisses me off much more that the watermen can force crab prices in maryland to $220/bussel for #2's. that's not a study in supply and demand, but rather the evils of a small, unregulated union.<br /><br />oh, sorry. gas prices. yeah, whatever. hasn't curbed my boating at all.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

I wished I lived in the US or Canada........<br /><br />as Dave Gibson (a true gent: must be he comes from my home country!) pointed out: £5 a gallon!<br /><br />At todays exchange rate that is $8.99 !!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I think Ericdc has a point. We do not have the mass transit system most european countries have. Other than the large urban areas, we can't just hop on a train when don't feel like spending the gas money. Also, europe pays a lot for fuel, but the majority of their vehicles get dramatically better fuel economy. Drive one of our SUVs over there and you will be broke in a week. We are hobbled by our vast travel distances, and our need for larger more consuming vehicles. I will be the first to admit I drive a gas sucking truck, but it is less expensive to drive my paid for gas sucker than it would be to go finance a more efficient vehicle at the cost of a monthly payment and more insurance.<br /><br />Most people really should not complain about fuel prices. They don't need a Suburban to drive the kids to soccer practice, they WANT a suburban to drive to soccer practice. We reap what we sow...I adapt by buying less takeout food, or less needless items. My wages have increased relatively proportionate to the fuel price increases, so I am cool with it for now...

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by dave gibson:<br /> guys you should try living in the UK petrol is £5 per gallon($8) the minimum wage is £5 per hour £3 per hour minus tax etc so weve got to work our *** of for almost 2 hours to put one gallon in the tank!!!
Or try Ghana where the minimum wage is about $1.50 per DAY and a gallon of gas costs about $3.30 per gallon. Yea, work a little over 2 days for a gallon of petrol!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I feel gas is a relative bargain today, it just happened to be dirt cheap over the past 10 years...now it's pretty much back to normal.<br /><br />As for oil companies and related industries preparing to post record profits is the coming months, I couldn't agree more that it will be a reality. But for those of you who are just grumbling about that possibility and getting all upset about it, why didn't you just buy stock in oil companies or buy oil futures instead, so you could take a bunch of that profit for yourself? Most of those companies are publicly owned, not private...and those everyday people much like yourself who happened to be smart enough to recognize that fact are making a lot more money than it's costing them at the pump.<br /><br />Frankly, I hope oil goes past $100/barrel (but I doubt it will anytime real soon)...if it did, it would allow me a much earlier retirement to spend more time on the boat!<br /><br />Those who can't look beyond the pricetag at the pump to see what it represents need to learn that the world turns in many different ways. A commodity that shoots through the roof in price is an OPPORTUNITY, not a problem. To everyone who didn't recognize that, there's no reason to beat yourself up over it, but consider it a simple lesson of life and learn for next time.<br /><br />Electricity anyone?...That's one of the last energy souces that hasn't yet made the big leap in price. But it will, it's common knowledge that we're approaching a demand/supply issue in the USA with electricity. Does that sound familiar? LEARN FROM the lesson oil just taught us! Start researching and positioning yourself to benefit ASAP, so when your electric bill doubles and triples, you'll be profiting instead of paying like you did when gas "suddenly" got expensive...

gonefishie

Commander

A sad sad day! I started going down the road to my favorite fishing hole yesterday, as I got to the end of my addition onto the main road I looked at the gas station gas prices. I first thought was holy schneike! I then pulled in the gas station turned around and went back home and put the boat back in the garage. As the rate it is going I might have to put the truck and the boat away for good and buy a moped. The insurance company wouldn't make any money off me cause I don't need insurance anymore, the bank wouldn't make any interest money off me cause I would just lets them come and take the truck and boat back. Just think of the economic impacts if this scenario becomes reality for those of us whose don't make $50K a year and don't care for $3/gal. I believes there are only like 25% of U.S citizen earn in the $50K/yr range.

txswinner

Banned

Folks there is no oil shortage, totally created through media. In fact now Exxon and the big boys have control of twice as much oil as before overthrowing Iraq. If it is supply and demand and our learned friend said earlier, how come gasoline has increased since the invasion of Iraq by over 100%. Before invasion we were getting no oil from Iraq, now we control its price. This is not rocket science. The government restricts gouging by companies in catastrophes, wonder why not stop gouging by oil companies.

rwise

Captain

With the cost of living going up up up, I think I'll have to slow down or change where I go fishing! (I know, get a better job, easier said than done when you get above 50 and are 65% disabled.) Where I work we have not had a cost of living pay raise in 5 years. But it seams that the cost of living has doubled. Gas goes up, that means that everything that is moved or dependent in any way is going to go up. I tend to agree that we have had a good price on fuel in the past, but our employers have to realize the we need more compensation to keep up, which again means prices have to go up. I could gripe all day!

txswinner

Banned

Alden, As to your question of why not drill your own, the big boys have locked up the rights and small wildcatters can no longer exist.

txswinner

Banned

Quiet Cat, I agree the liberals caused it, the subsidy energy bill ( less than 8% went to development of research for new energy sources) is not a government subsidy it is a gift of citizens money to support the oil industry. See when we had Governor Bush we had an oil bust and in Texas we saved the oil industry with a $50,000,000 support package. but we had to do it because those liberals were not helping the poor owners of the oil companies. Ask and you shall receive. Just be careful what you ask for.