Is fuel really that expensive? or are we just cheap.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
I don't like paying $2.70 for gas but is it really that unreasonable? When compared to milk, o.j., etc. it really seems reasonable to me. The oil has to be discovered, wells and pipelines built, multi-million dollar supertankers purchased for transport and refineries constructed. After all that expense, it is taxed and then the retailer needs to make something on the sale.<br />I never hear anything about the evil dairy farmer or orange grower. Why is it such an issue with fuel? Unless you want to make the investment to produce your own, why all the complaining?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is fuel really that expensive? or are we just cheap.

I don't think it is the actual price of fuel that makes so much ruckus, Alden. I think it is the rapid movement.<br /><br />If we use 1975 gas prices as a baseline (after the "oil crisis") and adjust for inflation since then I think it would be somewhere in the $4.50-$5.00 a gallon range.<br /><br />Therefore it seems cheap.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

I agree,its the rapid jumps and changes that are made....When I see a gas station raise their gas 35 cents in the matter of 20 minutes it burns me.....Ive always been told here in Toledo and NW Ohio gas seems to flucuate(SP?) more often then anywhere else...Most gas stations around me now are at $2.49g, yesterday I drove about 10 miles out of my way to one of the main entrance/exits to the Turnpike and paid $2.19g.<br /><br />When I go to a sporting event,I purchase the $3.00 a 12oz bottle of water, or the $5.00 12oz bottle of beer,.....<br />We are to dependant on gas engines to drive,its time to get to mass producing some fuel freindly vehicles.<br /><br />(I wont hold me breath)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Noboy was complaining (except for the oil workers like me) when it was 8 dollars a barrell.<br /><br />Oil and gasoline is a perfect example of supply and demand.<br /><br />The only complaint I have now it that the ACTUAL supply and ACTUAL demand dont really effect the prices.<br /><br />It is the PERCIEVED supply and PERCIEVED demand that now influence prices.<br /><br />This is all due to real time news and the ability to make instant trades. People buy and sell on a whim instead of thinking things though, same as the stock markets.<br /><br />Ken

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

It would not bother me as much if the oil companies were not profiteering. Watching them post record profits at our expense kind of burns me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Limited Time, define profiteering.<br /><br />Oil companies are drilling up a storm, hasnt been this busy in a long time. They are trying to increase supply, but the people are using it as fast as we can produce it. Blame the consumers and the commodites speculators for the high prices.<br /><br />Like I said, nobody was screaming when oil was selling for 8 dollars a bbl in 1999. It costs at least that much just to get it out of the ground.<br /><br />Ken

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Going to cut in here if you don't mind.... Whats the point of complaining... We will still use gas... we did yesterday, using it today, and we'll use it tommorrow... Yesterday it might have been .20 cheaper then it is today, but tommorrow it may rise an additional .20 but we will still put it in our tank and most of us, use the same amount. If gas was $3.50 per gallon I wouldn't drive any less, and I'm sure most people feel the same. We are dependant on Gas and 99% if not more need it in our every day lives. Why complain about about rising prices when we will still use it, just fill er up and pay the cashier

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Like I said, nobody was screaming when oil was selling for 8 dollars a bbl in 1999. It costs at least that much just to get it out of the ground.<br /><br />Ken
I think you just described profiteering. 8 bucks a brl in 1999, and 63 bucks a brl in 2005? 800% increase in 6 years? You can't tell me someone isn't making a **itload of money on that one! :mad: <br /><br />We do have it easy here in the states though. I stopped complaining when I went to Europe and paid something like 2.40 euro's per litre! :eek:

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Dave J Z:<br /> Going to cut in here if you don't mind.... Whats the point of complaining... We will still use gas... we did yesterday, using it today, and we'll use it tommorrow... Yesterday it might have been .20 cheaper then it is today, but tommorrow it may rise an additional .20 but we will still put it in our tank and most of us, use the same amount. If gas was $3.50 per gallon I wouldn't drive any less, and I'm sure most people feel the same. We are dependant on Gas and 99% if not more need it in our every day lives. Why complain about about rising prices when we will still use it, just fill er up and pay the cashier
Actually, if gas got up to that high and I didn't see a pay increase to help cover the inflation rise, I would probably drive a lot less. I would also consider selling my boat as I couldn't afford to pay for a weekend of boating with gas at that price.<br /><br />You are talking 1.20 per gal rise in current prices. At 33 gal on my truck that's 36 bucks more every time I fill up!! :eek: If I have to do that every 2 weeks that's 900 smacks a year...that is a ton of money to me. The boat would be an extra 24 bucks every fill. :mad:

magster65

Commander

I'm cheap. I'd like everything for nothing :) <br />hehe I don't think that way really but purchasing fuel is a consideration these days. I know there's exchange / volume differences with the U.S. but we pay $4.77 a gallon here today. My boat holds about 150 gallons... my furnace oil tank at home holds about 250 (although a few pennies cheaper than gas)... my truck holds about 15 and between my lawnmower and gas powered blender is another gallon. I could spend $2000 topping up all my 'stuff' if I let them all run low on fuel. Ouch!

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

But letting them run low on fuel... let me change that... If you put $5 in your car today and it gives you 2 gallons of gas, tommorow you put $5 in your car it gives you lets say 1.5 gallons of gas your really not gaining anything, you'll have less gas, so your items are only going to have less gas in them. The only thing I'm trying to say is I like alot of other people are still going to fill there tank up.. wether it cost 2.50 per gallon or 5.00 per gallon. I might find ways to increase fuel usage but is buying a "fuel efficient" vehicle the way I would do it..... NO!! I'm still going to drive to the store, work and take vacations, Because I know that wether it's 2.50 per gallon or 5.00 per gallon I still need the gas. <br /><br />I get a kick out of the people who drive all over town waisting gas trying to find the cheapest. Look at all the gas you've waisted... not only that time is a factor as well. If I have to walk somewhere... I would sure in the heck charge more then .20 (based on 2.50 per gallon/12mpg)per mile to get there. If you look at it that way. Your getting a deal!!!!!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Its been reported that oil is $64.00 per barrel.<br /><br />How much oil is in a barrel?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

There is 42 gallons in a barrel.<br /><br />I aint trying to say there isnot any profit making, but to imply there is anything illegal is misguided. The oil companies were victims back in 1999, trust me if they could control the price, then 8 dollars a barrel would never have happened.<br /><br />You can blame the 64 dollars/bbl on the speculators that are driving the price up simply because the US embassy in Saudi closed. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Ken

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

$64.00/bbl<br />42 Gals per barrel<br />=$1.52 /Gal<br /><br />and thats before it going to the refinery :eek:

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by alden:<br />When compared to milk, o.j., etc. it really seems reasonable to me. The oil has to be discovered, wells and pipelines built, multi-million dollar supertankers purchased for transport and refineries constructed. After all that expense, it is taxed and then the retailer needs to make something on the sale.
When was the last time you had to put 30 gallons of orange juice in your tank just so you could take a short road trip? Or just to go to work? Plus, milk is $1.99/gallon - and it includes a plastic jug. I wouldn't be complaining if I could buy gas for $1.99 and it came with a gas can. Sure, it takes alot of money to pump oil out of the ground, ship it over here, turn it into gas, and then ship it to the gas station, but they're still making billions in profit every QUARTER! Just a few years ago gas was $1.25. What has changed since then to make it cost more? Does it cost more to make? Absolutely not. The only difference is the oil prices went up, and that doesn't cost anymore to pump either. Somebody is pocketing that extra ~$50/barrel, plain and simple.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Uh guys . . . we pay less for gasoline and diesel than almost the entire planet. The differences in pricing worldwide are taxation, transportation and in some cases subsidies. Other than that it is a worldwide commodity, driven by market forces: supply (big issue), demand, futures trading etc. If you want to be mad at somebody, you should probably blame India and China for deciding they want to join the 1950s. Those guys' desire to expand and improve their highways, infrastructure and lifestyles are the root of this issue i.e. more demand. There is not some big room where everybody involved sits down and decides who to screw next . . . ;) Maybe in Liberal Paranoia Land, but not here.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

KIZ, <br /> Did not intend to imply the oil companies were doing any thing illegal. But when the price of a barrel goes up in the morning, and the oil companies bump their in the line prices to match. That doesn’t seem right. It would be like me telling my customers every thing I have in process is going up by the rate of the latest raw material increase. Even though I purchased the material prior to the announced price increase. I’m sure my customers would find another supplier FAST. Unfortunately we do not have that option.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />we pay less for gasoline and diesel than almost the entire planet.
We pay the same price for oil that they do. Any extra they have to pay they brought on themselves...

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />When was the last time you had to put 30 gallons of orange juice in your tank just so you could take a short road trip? [/QB]
As a matter of fact smart guy, I just filled my boat tank w/orange juice. See my post under "Johnson 120 won't start". :p

D

DJ

No, it is not, in respect to other things.<br /><br />But, let's keep our mouths shut. Every time we gripe, it goes up.