Is automotive body filler suitable for a boat?

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I'm doing some custom work to a jet ski. Pictures will follow, but it's going to be pretty cool. What I want to know is if I can use a high quality plastic filler to smooth and blend my work into the existing fiberglass or is there something else I should use? The main structure of what I'm building is fiberglass and it is glassed to the top "cap". I will need to use some sort of filler to smooth it completely. Thanks!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is automotive body filler suitable for a boat?

Bondo is not for use in the marine world as it will actually absorb water.

Boater45

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, I'm doing some custom work to a jet ski. Pictures will follow, but it's going to be pretty cool. What I want to know is if I can use a high quality plastic filler to smooth and blend my work into the existing fiberglass or is there something else I should use? The main structure of what I'm building is fiberglass and it is glassed to the top "cap". I will need to use some sort of filler to smooth it completely. Thanks!

Here is a link to System Three: http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/SilverTip-EZ-Fillet-c15.htm

Their products are very easy to use and Should work great for your project.

Will

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked. My original assumption was that it would work OK since it will be encased in gel coat, but I'm sure the possibility of water intrusion still exists, especially if I get a hairline crack or something. The 3M stuff looks like exactly what I need.

What we are doing is making a Polaris Jet Ski into a floating stereo as a display for our store. We have made some torpedo like pods for front speakers and some frog eye looking thing for rears. We built the crash pad on the handlebars into a holder for a marine radio controller and built the rear view mirrors into 2 monitors for the rear view camera. I'll get some pics up once it's presentable as I'm sure folks would get a kick out of this.

Thanks for the advice!

Adam.

Boater45

Seaman Apprentice

Be sure and post some pics....sounds pretty cool.:cool:

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked. My original assumption was that it would work OK since it will be encased in gel coat, but I'm sure the possibility of water intrusion still exists, especially if I get a hairline crack or something. The 3M stuff looks like exactly what I need.

What we are doing is making a Polaris Jet Ski into a floating stereo as a display for our store. We have made some torpedo like pods for front speakers and some frog eye looking thing for rears. We built the crash pad on the handlebars into a holder for a marine radio controller and built the rear view mirrors into 2 monitors for the rear view camera. I'll get some pics up once it's presentable as I'm sure folks would get a kick out of this.

Thanks for the advice!

Adam.

We like to see it as its being built...if your look through the Resto forum you will see presentable isnt an issue!!

It does sound cool!

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, unfortunately business is slow so we are able to work on the sea doo. It's making some progress. I'll get some pics up soon.

For a filler/fairing we used 3m glass bubbles, resin and cabosil. Works great and is not that hard too sand. We have the main shape now. My next question is about a product we like to use on our custom fiberglass panels and subwoofer boxes. We use Evercoat Featherfill G2 for the final coat. It fills a lot of scratches,divits and is like butter to sand. Do we think its good to use above water line on the sea doo? Here is the product.

312nqgnJIuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm trying to convince the owner/boss to let us paint this instead of gelcoat. It's much less work and this thing MIGHT see the water 1 day a year. He really wants gel though. Probably because hes not doing the sanding!

Thanks guys. I promise I'll get some buid pics. So far we have the front pods almost complete. We have the rear pods glassed in and the handlebar controller is formed. It's gonna be cool!