Is a 21ft starcraft mariner too big?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is a 21ft starcraft mariner too big?

Congrats!!!!! Pics required :D

matrob

Cadet

GEDC0177.jpgGEDC0179.jpgGEDC0183.jpg
Here are some intial pictures. For the maiden voyage, my two younger boys and I went to the local lake. We got some fresh gas (not enough) and took her for a spin. As I pulled away from the pier, I thought something was wrong. It seemed to top out at about 5mph. So I turned around and headed back. Then I thought "I'll apply a little more pressure on the throttle" Wow. She took off screaming and both boys had a huge grin on their faces. After a minute or two, the motor would die. I think the fuel all went to the back of the tank. It has about a 15 gallon tank in back and I only put 3 gallons in. Every time when I slowed down, it would start right up and idle. The motor runs out beautifully and is very smooth until it dies. If more gas doesn't do the trick, I'll check the fuel line from tank to motor. So far I'm impressed with the power and smooth ride in this boat. The boys say they want another roller-coaster ride tomorrow.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the fleet. rob. Looks good and the seller seems to think you will be happy. If the boat has been sitting for awhile you might need to clean out the carbs. Good find there, bud.

64osby

Admiral

That is great. Filler up and take the kids for a coaster ride. :D

You should be having the PermaGrin tonight. It's awesome. Best of luck. To a fellow Mariner 21 owner.

matrob

Cadet

Yeah, I knew that fuel thing going in. You have to pay for power. I drive a suburban and sometimes it's worth the extra money for the comfort and peace in the family. Already looking for a kicker. I figured I'll look through the forum for recommendations, but if anyone has ideas, let me know. For now, I think a tiller would be fine, as my boys aren't old enough to take over the wheel with a fish on. 8-12HP? Long or short shaft or doesn't it matter?

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey congrats man! Sounds like you found a really sweet deal there. And the real beauty is that whatever problems you may find, the solutions are all right here.

Cheers!

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

They can have their Scarabs and Bajas and fancy speed boats, that's my dream boat right there.
And with a 150 on the back I bet your boys are having the time of their lives!
Hope the motor problem is a minor one and y'all get a little more out of this season.

matrob

Cadet

Just got back from the lake and answered several of my questions.
1. 21ft is not too big. Every time I needed to help one of the boys fishing, another was still in the way. They even managed to tip over the worm bucket.
2. I think that concept is right. The motor started hard, but the bulb never wanted to firm up. Once I got it running at the landing, it was fine for the entire time out. I had to pump the bulb again after one of our fishing spots, though, so it must not be completely sealed.
3. I need either a kicker, electric trolling motor or preferrably both. In the shallows with the wind blowing, it was hard to maneuver and concerned me with the depth of the motor.

It's going to be a fun time for sure. I know that someday I'll be able to fish peacefully again, but right now those boys make it pretty stressful.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

For a kicker I'd be looking for an 8-15HP and I'd prefer a long shaft. A short shaft would work though. Some may disagree and say that a long shaft would be too long but if you're ever out in the big lake and stuck in some weather, you won't have to worry about the kicker bobbing out of the water.

I recently put a foot controller bow mount trolling motor on mine and it is the cat's pajamas. I scored it on Craigslist for a song!

fishcrazy50

Seaman Apprentice

I have an 86 MR210 like yours with a 135. I load and unload it by myself all the time. No issues. Easier than you may think. I back down the ramp, unhook the safety chain, crank out the winch cable a bit, crawl up over the bow into the boat, start her up and back out to the dock. Tie her up, walk back to truck. Park truck. Done. Same with loading onto trailer. I have a Fastlane float on style trailer. No rollers, just thick bunks. It winches up snug without issue. The boat is light.

64osby

Admiral

Just got back from the lake and answered several of my questions.
1. 21ft is not too big. Every time I needed to help one of the boys fishing, another was still in the way. They even managed to tip over the worm bucket.

3. I need either a kicker, electric trolling motor or preferrably both. In the shallows with the wind blowing, it was hard to maneuver and concerned me with the depth of the motor.

It's going to be a fun time for sure. I know that someday I'll be able to fish peacefully again, but right now those boys make it pretty stressful.

I'm really glad you think the 21' is not too big. See you broke it in right away - kicking over the worm bucket.:eek:

I have a 7.5 Johnson long shaft kicker on mine. It has a connector to the main engine so I can steer from the CC, but I have found it's not very precise steering, good in the open waters but not in the tight places.

I'm really not the lake fishing type, but I still get the kids out a few times a year to have fun.

Looks like you might have 10 years or more before you have peaceful fishing days, unless you sneak out by yourself.;)

I know when I go with my two kids I spend more time undoing tangles, removing fish and baiting hooks then I do fishing. But someone has to teach them.:cool:

matrob

Cadet

Now that it's getting toward winter, I thought it'd be a good time to shop for a kicker. I found a few within 75 miles. A 1996 merc 9.9hp asking$650 and a 1979 evinrude 6hp asking $475. I think I could get the evinrude down lower, but need advice. The 9.9 size is probably better and the peace of mind with a newer motor might be worth it. The 6hp is a bit small.
Am I right here? Should I be waiting for something better to come along?
Thanks,
Matt

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those both sound like very fair deals.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Kicker motor size of choice seems to be a 9.9 high thrust. That lets the water thru thr prop in forward and reverse .. 4 strokes are real quiet but very heavy I use a 9.9 Merc 4stroke electric start on my 75-- 22 ft Holiday it is GREAT.

64osby

Admiral

I have a 1980 7.5 Johnson kicker on my 21' Mariner. The person I bought it from used it on lake MI all the time.

I had it out last Sunday on our local pond. Let my son drive while a buddy and I tried to catch something while trolling, .5mph to 5mph is the speed range I get.

It's really nice to have the rod that ties the kicker to the main motor and steer from the CC

barato2

Commander

Matt--

your reasoning is right on. go for the 9.9. remember that this is not just a trolling motor but something to get you home when your main motor won't start and there's ugly storm approaching.

$ strokes are real quiet but very heavy

Freudian slip of the fingers there Puget?;)

matrob

Cadet

Thought I'd give an update on the boat. I found a 2000 evinrude 4 stroke 9.9hp and put it on and set everything up for a maiden voyage on Lake Michigan. We took a test run on a local lake with great success We took off last Friday looking for brown trout. On the first attempt at the launch, the shift mechanism broke, so we went back to my brother's place and set up with some vice grips. On the second try, we got into the harbor and noticed we were taking on a little water for some reason. The waves got bigger past the breakwater and we were handling it alright. After getting two rods set, my buddy said to look at my feet. There was water at the hole where the wiring passes through and the bilge had quit. We quickly packed up and noticed water running inside from the splash well. Long story short, we got it on the trailer with a few hundred gallons draining out of her. Got home Sunday and proceeded to take off the motors, removed the transom and are now removing the floor. I decided a fresh start was in order and hopefully in a few weeks she'll be better than new. I hope to post pictures soon.

InMotion

Commander

Hey Matt... man that sounded scary... glad you and your buddy were able to get back to shore and on the trailer in time! I wonder what the fix will be...

IM