Is 4wd needed in a truck to tow boat?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Is 4wd needed in a truck to tow boat?

Anybody see how the 4wd system on the new Range Rover works? I had no idea that 4wd systems were that advanced. Way too many years with crappy, low cost GM's for me apparently. Point being agallant80 is right on.

I'm always a bit skeptical of the "technology" as being more marketing fluff. Sort of like having a terrain-selector on the Jeep Grand Cherokee when you're in loose gravel, or sand, or snow; which changes the computer algorithms for the 4x4. It's debatable how much advantage that it really provides, especially given the high cost of the fancy stuff. Sometimes simple is just as good. Give me a manual lockout hub on some Dana 60's and it'll run without issue for decades, no computer necessary.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I'm always a bit skeptical of the "technology" as being more marketing fluff. Sort of like having a terrain-selector on the Jeep Grand Cherokee when you're in loose gravel, or sand, or snow; which changes the computer algorithms for the 4x4. It's debatable how much advantage that it really provides, especially given the high cost of the fancy stuff. Sometimes simple is just as good. Give me a manual lockout hub on some Dana 60's and it'll run without issue for decades, no computer necessary.

Funny you bring that up. I thought the hill terrain selector on the new Jeep GC's was high tech until I saw the Rover in action. It takes it to another level and does the calculating for you. It even know how deep of water you are driving in and alerts you when water is getting too high. Not sure what torque vectoring is but it has that as well. My though was basically that there is no way I'd ever buy one of those used out of warranty. I bet you could drop 8 grand fixing stuff at the drop of a hat. I don't off road and doubt many Rover owners seriously do to the extent they are capable either.

haulnazz15

Captain

Funny you bring that up. I thought the hill terrain selector on the new Jeep GC's was high tech until I saw the Rover in action. It takes it to another level and does the calculating for you. It even know how deep of water you are driving in and alerts you when water is getting too high. Not sure what torque vectoring is but it has that as well. My though was basically that there is no way I'd ever buy one of those used out of warranty. I bet you could drop 8 grand fixing stuff at the drop of a hat. I don't off road and doubt many Rover owners seriously do to the extent they are capable either.

Agreed. The repair cost on something like that gets astronomical, not to mention the fancy new 8 and 9-speed transmissions. Should be interesting to see in 6-7 years when a lot of them are out of warranty coverage and over the 100K mile mark. Not that I'm in an area where there are a ton of Land Rovers/Cruisers, but I've NEVER seen one off of the pavement, so they aren't much more than a status symbol here.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Having 4 wheel drive when its not needed just costs a lot of money. You get a higher up front cost, less MPG and higher maintenance costs. I have access to lots of good ramps and it only snows down here about once every 4 years and then I just drive one of my FWD cars.
Depending on the climate, where one lives, ramp quality and other uses for the vehicle 4 WD may be appropriate, but its certainly not necessary in a lot of this country. A V8 is not mandatory either. My V6 Tacoma will pull the vast majority of reasonably trailerable boats with no problem.

oldjeep

Admiral

In NJ we are no stranger to heavy / deep snow, I am at one of the highest elevations in the state with some serious hills. 4x4 / AWD just makes a snow day a non event getting going / home. Yes- I know it isn't the end all solution nor replace a poor drivers skills. I always had something FWD or RWD prior to my 4Runner and managed.

For boat towing- I always use the same ramp, however if I were traveling more with the boat going to different locations I think I'd insist upon 4x4 due to unpredictability of some locations.

Its true, when people talk about winter weather and snow - its always New Jersey that comes up - LOL

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Sometimes it isn't the boar ramp that requires a 4wd.....I towed our 16' Starcraft SS for the first 3 years or so and used a 2wd Silverado , V8, and did well. I now use a S10 Blazer and we just got back from a mini vacation where the cabin we stayed in had a great location but lousy parking. I had to back it in and it was on an incline. I had to use 4WD twice to get out due to wet weather and gravel etc..even with new tires. So you never know what is going to require you to use it. Might get by without it most of the time but the time you DO need it it is nice to have.....

jkust

Rear Admiral

Having 4 wheel drive when its not needed just costs a lot of money. You get a higher up front cost, less MPG and higher maintenance costs. I have access to lots of good ramps and it only snows down here about once every 4 years and then I just drive one of my FWD cars.
Depending on the climate, where one lives, ramp quality and other uses for the vehicle 4 WD may be appropriate, but its certainly not necessary in a lot of this country. A V8 is not mandatory either. My V6 Tacoma will pull the vast majority of reasonably trailerable boats with no problem.

My On demand AWD in my body on frame SUV's costs about 1mpg as a penalty. The replacement 4wd parts for my wife's suv that put her on the side of the road when the system broke and locked up was $3,000 plus the hassle of a flat bed tow truck and general hassle of dealing with it. All that said I still love an appropriately equipped 4wd truck or suv. I grew up driving rear wheel drive pieces of junk and front wheel drive was a giant leap forward in MN winters for every day driving as to me 4wd is when you simply aren't going to be leaving the ramp after a long day on the lake with crabby kids without it. The downside of having endless lakes and even more accesses is endless unmaintained or poorly maintained ramps. Now that we don't trailer our boat more than twice a year, we could probably get away with RWD for towing.

gtochris

Its true, when people talk about winter weather and snow - its always New Jersey that comes up - LOL
? Really? NJ is a really diverse state- unfortunately Newark Airport- our hub is a rather drab ugly place most people get a first impression from.
We did have a hell of a winter, I think 60" would be reasonable. It never ended. We had a week straight I didn't see pavement!

Regarding the Grand Cherokee & Select terrain, (similar to the new Explorer), I sense it is almost more of a throttle sensitivity control and starting out in 2nd/ 3rd gear (depending mode selection) thing. I was REALLY STUCK in about 3ft of snow with a '14 Grand Cherokee last winter, I could not budge! The 3.6L V6 didn't have the torque to spin a wheel, "snow mode" was on maximum traction control alert and the throttle would not let me "rev up" to use momentum to rock my way out. I found 4LO and the "mud/ Rock" mode to be more aggressive and allowed me to be able to claw out and do a bit of wheel spin to get moving. I prefer my 4Runner system which allows me to choose 4x4 or not and moderate the throttle.

jestor68

Commander

So, Nateo; have these guys convinced you that you need to run out and buy a 4 wheel drive or what?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Prolly gonna need a few more posts on the subject... Lol

Last edited:

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
I would go to the ramp and watch what others are using. I've been to many ramps where you could get away with 2wd. I'd say 7 out of 10 times you'd be fine. Some ramps are steep, some aren't. Some are slimy or sandy or gravely (is gravely a word.). Some require you to get the back wheels of the tow vehicle way back into the water. But that one time you do need 4wd, you'll be hosed if you don't have it and no one is around to tow you up the ramp. Go out to the ramp, watch others. Look for someone with a similar sized boat to yours that seems to be familiar with the ramp and see if they're using 4wd. I know this, if I was at a ramp and a fellow boater asked me to back his trailer in with my 4wd truck, I'd be more than happy to do that. 10 minutes out of my day to help someone get a good day on the water. You could offer beer or money in exchange, but I'd decline.

bspeth

I saw a new looking rover in the middle of nowhere,not even enough room on the trail to allow us to pass each other going opposite directions. Its not the rig that picks the driver.

scarabite

Cadet
As long as your putting in on a hard ramp, concrete, ashfualt you wont have any problems in 2wd with or without lockers just dont dump the throttle take it nice and easy no race.