Is 4wd needed in a truck to tow boat?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is 4wd needed in a truck to tow boat?

I see lots and lots of 2wd trucks and what not at the ramps. Now the ramps in NC are very clean and well maintained. I have a 2WD drive truck pulling about 9K worth of boat and trailer out of the water, I do have a rear end I can lock with the turn of a knob though.

I thought the "manual locking" rear differential on the F150 was only on the 4x4 models?

I'll take 4x4 over a Limited slip, if both back tires are on something slippery you are just as stuck. With 4x4 you have some front wheel traction and ability to use 4LO.
MANY new SUV's / Pickups dont have a LSD and rely on traction control to do the work and in the case of my 4Runner, it works fantastic.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Here in MN our ramps range from fantastic to 'I can't believe that's the ramp'. Most times having good tires and a locking rear differential (in 99% of GM Trucks it is known as an Eaton G80 locking rear not a limited slip Eaton G86 that people keep referring to) is adequate. I happen to have the rare exception of two GM's one with the G80 and one with the G86 but regardless both also have the equivalent of a computer controlled limited slip in addition to the manual locker and lsd which you can turn off and on. It's the exception by and large where you simply aren't going to be pulling your boat back out without some front traction. It happens at least once or twice a year for me however. Sometimes the ramps are so remote and you are the only one there and there just isn't another soul in site to assist. On those occasions, I am happy and relieved that I selected suv's with 4x4. Of course I've now just lived the downside whereby my 4x4 system completely destroyed itself even though it received the very important 50,000 mile fluid change. It was $3,000+ but covered under warranty. Of course for us here in MN, we also tow snowmobile trailers and deal with snow so the tend to get a lot of use out of our 4x4's. Multiple times this past winter only the 4x4's could get out of our cul de sac.
Don't forget that without locking differentials but with the 4x4 option you will have at most 2 wheels working in your favor thus even with 4x4 you could still be disappointed. I've seen just about every manor of situation by now after this many years between myself and others at the ramps.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

I've got a 2wd Ram Crewcab that I tow with. Never felt the need for 4wd winter or summer.

bspeth

I think all of the wheels with equal traction will be pulling in 4wd,so likely both fronts and you can work the brake a little at the same time as the gas to get both rears to hook up at the same time.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think all of the wheels with equal traction will be pulling in 4wd,so likely both fronts and you can work the brake a little at the same time as the gas to get both rears to hook up at the same time.

Most 4wd vehicles have open diff's front and rear- so usually driver side and pass rear tire are the ones receiving power.

oldjeep

Admiral

Most 4wd vehicles have open diff's front and rear- so usually driver side and pass rear tire are the ones receiving power.

Modern vehicles all have traction control, so that isn't true any more. The truck applies the brakes to the slipping wheel(s)

gtochris

Nope, just have a 2wd truck that weighs almost 3 tons. With good tires it is awful hard to get it stuck.

I couldn't imagine getting very far with 2wd, I've done it but throw in a hill or snow mound and game over. Did you get a outrageous super deal living in Minneapolis and buying a 2wd truck?

Pony

Rear Admiral

I couldn't imagine getting very far with 2wd, I've done it but throw in a hill or snow mound and game over. Did you get a outrageous super deal living in Minneapolis and buying a 2wd truck?

I got a CRAZY deal on mine in WI. I have never gotten stuck and drive mostly back country roads. Have driven more than a handful of times in 12"+ snow on unplowed roads with 4-6" being more common. Good tires and 4-500lbs of limestone in the back.

gtochris

I got a CRAZY deal on mine in WI. I have never gotten stuck and drive mostly back country roads. Have driven more than a handful of times in 12"+ snow on unplowed roads with 4-6" being more common. Good tires and 4-500lbs of limestone in the back.

Understandable, Up here, the only 2wd trucks are the base models, a dealer with a mid-level or upper level 2wd truck is in trouble as they will never move it.

My parents had a 1995 2wd Chevy Astro LT with the G80 option, unloaded it was horrific, back then, I put about 500lbs of cement blocks in the back of the Astro (strapped them down) and with new all season 15" tires it was VERY good in the snow, I actually forgot about that situation... Not as good as AWD, but very good none the less.

I generally use the 4WD every time I launch/ load my boat as A: exercise the system, and B: It takes a few feet of movement to engage and my Traction control is un-defeat-able so if I get stuck in 2wd it's very tough to get moving.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I tow a 20ft cuddy with 2wd GMC Sierra 4.8 no need for 4wd.. 4wd's are needed when you are lauching on steep dirt ramps. if you are doing that, I hope it's a row boat for the river only :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Modern vehicles all have traction control, so that isn't true any more. The truck applies the brakes to the slipping wheel(s)

And it drives me nuts on a 4x4. I guess it's fine if I'm not in 4 wheel, but what's the point when I'm locked in? That's what the 4 wheel drive is for, glad there's a disable switch......

BTW, I've used 4 wheel once at the ramp in all my years of towing....

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral

And even further they have two separate and distinct systems (at least) being traction control and stability control. They each do something different. On my suv's I can shut off one or both of the systems but still have the 4x4 and either mechanical G80 or G86 depending on which vehicle I'm in.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I prefer a fully locked rear end rather than limited slip.

Anyway, it's all about, and only about, traction.

From the survey of good answers here, all based on various experiences, the primary factor is the condition of the ramp surface under the power wheels--which is why a front wheel drive minivan may have an advantage, since--at least in tidal waters--the ramps typically aren't wet and slimey under the front.

Also a lot of you back your vehicles in deep to be able to drive on to your bunk trailers, putting your rear wheels in the soup and often fronts on the slime. With a roller trailer, for many boats, you can keep the rear wheels dry; the problems mostly occur most on a falling tide when the wheels are out of the water but on wet slimey pavement. Reinforcing the comments above, which ALL say "depends on the circumstances."

The second most important factor is the weight over the power wheels--which is why a minivan may beat a small pick-up. But that, too, is simply a traction issue, not a power issue.

Unless you have an unusually steep non-standard ramp, the incline is no different than what you may encounter inland--and few need the power of 4WD on the roads. Proving, again, it's all about traction.

agallant80

Commander

I think there are so many factors in this to have a universal answer. My Excursion, Duramax and Silverado 1500 would pull fine no 4x4. Same ramps same boat my F150 and my avalanche would/will spin the rear tires. I think it depends on the tires, weight of the truck over the rear wheels etc.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I think there are so many factors in this to have a universal answer. My Excursion, Duramax and Silverado 1500 would pull fine no 4x4. Same ramps same boat my F150 and my avalanche would/will spin the rear tires. I think it depends on the tires, weight of the truck over the rear wheels etc.

Anybody see how the 4wd system on the new Range Rover works? I had no idea that 4wd systems were that advanced. Way too many years with crappy, low cost GM's for me apparently. Point being agallant80 is right on.

agallant80

Commander

Anybody see how the 4wd system on the new Range Rover works?

I saw a guy pulling a 27 foot cruiser with a Discovery. In some cases its technology over brawn. Yes you still need durable parts but the techology can help you do more with less.

oldjeep

Admiral

An OK deal but it isn't exactly a rare thing, plenty of 2wd trucks around here. Thing about living in MN - you learn how to drive in the snow and don't need 4wd to pull out of your driveway.

gtochris

An OK deal but it isn't exactly a rare thing, plenty of 2wd trucks around here. Thing about living in MN - you learn how to drive in the snow and don't need 4wd to pull out of your driveway.

In NJ we are no stranger to heavy / deep snow, I am at one of the highest elevations in the state with some serious hills. 4x4 / AWD just makes a snow day a non event getting going / home. Yes- I know it isn't the end all solution nor replace a poor drivers skills. I always had something FWD or RWD prior to my 4Runner and managed.

For boat towing- I always use the same ramp, however if I were traveling more with the boat going to different locations I think I'd insist upon 4x4 due to unpredictability of some locations.