Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Brusac

Seaman

cmilot6329

Recruit
I did a oar mod how-to earlier in this thread. Inserted birch dowels adding 8" length and used the hardware store pipe connectors. They are very rigid and strong now. The only caveat is they do not break down into pieces now. I also carry a couple spare oar locks.

Hey Starkonian quick question. I'm doing this mod to my oars as well but I do not see any mention of pipe connectors in your how-to. Is this something you found out later you needed where the 2 aluminum pipes connect? It looks like you originally just had orange duct tape? If so, which pipe connectors did you use? Thanks!

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Starkonian quick question. I'm doing this mod to my oars as well but I do not see any mention of pipe connectors in your how-to. Is this something you found out later you needed where the 2 aluminum pipes connect? It looks like you originally just had orange duct tape? If so, which pipe connectors did you use? Thanks!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks...-34H/206667869

Cmilot- Here you go. I looked everywhere and didn't realize I have photos of the oars with the couplers installed. If I recall correctly, I think I did the "knee" strength test, pushed it hard under the knee, without the coupling and it snapped the oar/dowel in the mid junction. I installed the coupler and those along with the dowel inserts made them rock solid. I sealed up all the openings with silicone but have to say I only use the oars if I'm stuck in the weeds. If you use the oars a lot and want to be very thorough you could treat the dowels with a sealant as well. I don't recall the size of coupling I used. I suggest you take a measurement and head over to Home Depot. They also have the Birch dowels I used. Birch is a hard wood but not as heavy as Oak. Regarding the couplers, they have rubber gaskets at both ends. I made have had to sand them lightly to install them. You could also use soapy water which will help slide them on. I don't recommend using a lubricant as that will not dry off and may make them not has rigid. The e extra 8" of length make them fit nicely in the oar locks and you can use the oar stoppers to keep them in place.

Last edited:

cmilot6329

Recruit
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks...-34H/206667869

Cmilot- Here you go. I looked everywhere and didn't realize I have photos of the oars with the couplers installed. If I recall correctly, I think I did the "knee" strength test, pushed it hard under the knee, without the coupling and it snapped the oar/dowel in the mid junction. I installed the coupler and those along with the dowel inserts made them rock solid. I sealed up all the openings with silicone but have to say I only use the oars if I'm stuck in the weeds. If you use the oars a lot and want to be very thorough you could treat the dowels with a sealant as well. I don't recall the size of coupling I used. I suggest you take a measurement and head over to Home Depot. They also have the Birch dowels I used. Birch is a hard wood but not as heavy as Oak. Regarding the couplers, they have rubber gaskets at both ends. I made have had to sand them lightly to install them. You could also use soapy water which will help slide them on. I don't recommend using a lubricant as that will not dry off and may make them not has rigid. The e extra 8" of length make them fit nicely in the oar locks and you can use the oar stoppers to keep them in place.

Awesome thank you! I did already purchase the dowel (not sure if it is birch but it seemed to be the only one HD had and is pretty light). I was just holding off on finishing the handle until I heard from you about the coupler. Gonna purchase it tonight. I have a trolling motor so will really only use the oars in emergencies. Thanks again!

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3 days in a row on a very rocky and shallow creek and no holes or loss of air yet! I thrash the boat 10 times harder than I wanted to, and I mean I ran it hard hiting rocks and stumps etc... only damage was to the prop on my Minn Kota endur max 55!!! I thrash it hard not because I wanted to but I was trying to out run a lightening storm and get to the launch site (all of my metal detecting equipment and scuba tanks are great lightening rods :) ).

Just wanted to post up that I am completely happy so far with the boat and report how much abuse it has withheld. I will be posting up my new mods shortly (probably this upcoming weekend because I am running to an out of state dive shop tomorrow and then back out diving the next day).

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
3 days in a row on a very rocky and shallow creek and no holes or loss of air yet! I thrash the boat 10 times harder than I wanted to, and I mean I ran it hard hiting rocks and stumps etc... only damage was to the prop on my Minn Kota endur max 55!!! I thrash it hard not because I wanted to but I was trying to out run a lightening storm and get to the launch site (all of my metal detecting equipment and scuba tanks are great lightening rods :) ).

Just wanted to post up that I am completely happy so far with the boat and report how much abuse it has withheld. I will be posting up my new mods shortly (probably this upcoming weekend because I am running to an out of state dive shop tomorrow and then back out diving the next day).

Hey Mariner,

Sounds like you survived my number one fear when out on open water, glad to hear you and the rubber tug are alright. Sometimes when I'm on the water with four carbon fiber fishing rods pointed in the air, I feel like a lightning rod in waiting.

:)

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome thank you! I did already purchase the dowel (not sure if it is birch but it seemed to be the only one HD had and is pretty light). I was just holding off on finishing the handle until I heard from you about the coupler. Gonna purchase it tonight. I have a trolling motor so will really only use the oars in emergencies. Thanks again!

Post a pic of the end product when completed if you can.

I finally got a fish finder and getting it ready for installation for the outing this weekend. I had two I was storing at Mom's lake house but she sold the place, with my equipment, lock stock and barrel :( Really looking forward to having underwater eyes again. It's going to be windy as hell this weekend. Getting the windsock ready.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Mariner,

Sounds like you survived my number one fear when out on open water, glad to hear you and the rubber tug are alright. Sometimes when I'm on the water with four carbon fiber fishing rods pointed in the air, I feel like a lightning rod in waiting.

:)

Hi Scottish,

We have been getting hit with thunderstorms a lot lately here. I went out yesterday and stayed on an island (very small about 20 feet x 100 ft) for about a hour because the storm sneaked up on me while detecting (I knew it was coming but lost track of time and didn't pay attention). I watched a tree about a 1/4 mile down stream get hit by lightening, awesome power. I do however feel safer in this boat than I would in a metal john boat. Fishing rods, just like detectors are great lighten rods! I have the same fear as you do.

After I left the island to try another spot I ran into a guy out on his bass boat. He said he just sold his Zodiac boat and regrets it now and wants a Mariner also after watching and looking at mine. He said he has a great idea for a dolly for our boats and gave me an idea for a protective coating (sort of like plastic dip but different) that he used on his Zodiac and a dingy but he could not remember the name of the product. I am going over to his house this afternoon to look at a 3 hp outboard he may sale and I will post up the product name.

Tomorrow I am hitting a very "rough" creek in order to reach an old battle ground area to search. This will be the real test on the boat.... very rocky, shallow and stumps. Going to run this beat up prop until I get to the spot and run the new one on the way back. The current on the creek is pretty strong for a creek and it should also test the battery endurance. I do have a second battery that I bought so that will be there for the run back because I calculated its a 8 mile trip each way which is no problem at 50% or so on a lake but going against current it will be close getting there.

I forgot to add to the other day's post that I did use the oars for the first time to get through some shallow areas and they held up good. I exerted a lot of preasure on them and they held up good. No mods or anything to them.... I guess I was very lucky.

Have a good day!

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Scottish,

We have been getting hit with thunderstorms a lot lately here. I went out yesterday and stayed on an island (very small about 20 feet x 100 ft) for about a hour because the storm sneaked up on me while detecting (I knew it was coming but lost track of time and didn't pay attention). I watched a tree about a 1/4 mile down stream get hit by lightening, awesome power. I do however feel safer in this boat than I would in a metal john boat. Fishing rods, just like detectors are great lighten rods! I have the same fear as you do.

After I left the island to try another spot I ran into a guy out on his bass boat. He said he just sold his Zodiac boat and regrets it now and wants a Mariner also after watching and looking at mine. He said he has a great idea for a dolly for our boats and gave me an idea for a protective coating (sort of like plastic dip but different) that he used on his Zodiac and a dingy but he could not remember the name of the product. I am going over to his house this afternoon to look at a 3 hp outboard he may sale and I will post up the product name.

Tomorrow I am hitting a very "rough" creek in order to reach an old battle ground area to search. This will be the real test on the boat.... very rocky, shallow and stumps. Going to run this beat up prop until I get to the spot and run the new one on the way back. The current on the creek is pretty strong for a creek and it should also test the battery endurance. I do have a second battery that I bought so that will be there for the run back because I calculated its a 8 mile trip each way which is no problem at 50% or so on a lake but going against current it will be close getting there.

I forgot to add to the other day's post that I did use the oars for the first time to get through some shallow areas and they held up good. I exerted a lot of preasure on them and they held up good. No mods or anything to them.... I guess I was very lucky.

Have a good day!

Glad to hear you're alright and having so much fun.

I get similar reaction to the Mariner. Anglers I meet are astonished how a cheap little dinghy can be customised into a full blown fishing boat and the whole thing can be folded away into the car etc.

A mod you might want to consider is some heavy duty PVC glued onto the front underside of the boat to deal with all those obstacles you mentioned. You can buy it in rolls on Ebay.

Considered doing it myself, but I tend to know the waters I fish well enough to avoid difficulties.

You could cut the PVC into sections to fit either side of the keel, and other sections to protect the front underside of the air tube against impacts. A cheap option to toughen up that vulnerable front impact area.

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
You will be happy with that 2 piece floor! I tried it with just the OEM slats, then my two piece floor on top of the slats (all of them) then I went with two piece and four slats (one in the bow, one in the stern and two midship so that the wood would rest on them). I am very happy with the wood floor and 4 slats and will keep it that way.

There are tons of mods to do on these boats. Have fun and enjoy! Ask any questions here, these guys are awesome.

I still dont understand why you guys still use some of the slats for the floor, my thinking is that it concentrates all of the weight from the floor onto those 2 or 4 slats, and the ends of those slats are just digging into the boat. I use just the floor no slats because it should distribute my weight more evenly. Would love to see if someone has been able to make a dolly that isnt too expensive, i try fish really early sometimes and I hate how loud the air pump can be worry im bugging the home owners near the launch, would be great to pump it up around the corner and wheel it over. Or if the launch is busy makes it easier to set up and get it over to the water solo.

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Scottish,

Have a good day!

Dont forget to plan for problems, I had the speed control go on my motor while out on the lake, nothing really triggered it, it just gave out. It was a 30 min paddle to shore then a 45 min walk around the lake to the car. Now whenever i plan a trip i never go further than id be willing to paddle.

(local marina was able to bypass the switch and wire it to always on as soon as you plugged it in, little sketchy with sparks and timing coming to a stop and maneuvering but at least it was usable for the rest of the trip and until i got a replacement part.

Also i understand that using the battery (deep cycle) to below %50 is not recommended and running it almost all the way out is really not recommended shortens the lifespan of the battery.

Last edited:

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dont forget to plan for problems, I had the speed control go on my motor while out on the lake, nothing really triggered it, it just gave out. It was a 30 min paddle to shore then a 45 min walk around the lake to the car. Now whenever i plan a trip i never go further than id be willing to paddle.

(local marina was able to bypass the switch and wire it to always on as soon as you plugged it in, little sketchy with sparks and timing coming to a stop and maneuvering but at least it was usable for the rest of the trip and until i got a replacement part.

Also i understand that using the battery (deep cycle) to below %50 is not recommended and running it almost all the way out is really not recommended shortens the lifespan of the battery.

Hi,

I never run the battery at 50% unless it is absolutely unavoidable. When I said run at 50% I meant the speed setting of 50% of max. I am running the Min Kota 55 Endura Max and it does a good job. I also finally go the second battery with the new battery switch hooked up.

As for planning for problems I probably have a prep sheet that rivals most cruise boats :) lol. I have run this boat through rivers, creeks and lakes and basically put it through hell and have had no issues at all. Only issue so far has been that I tore up two props but that was my fault, I run through some rocky shallow water to get to my sites. I have run over rocks, stumps etc... no issues but I am prepared for most issues (I have a lot of safety items; spare props; a lot of patches and repair items and even survival gear because of the areas I go to are "remote" and if stranded it will take a way to get out). I like your precaution of not going further than you are willing to paddle back but in my adventures I cannot do that or I would never get to my sites. Most places I go to are miles/hours away and only accessible by boat and shallow water creeks. Its a good rule though... and for my fishing outings with the wife I keep close to your idea but for my detecting adventures...lol

I thought I had a good outboard lined up but that deal fell through. The guy wanted just about retail price for it and it is 15 years old. so I am on the hunt for another one. The outboard motor will be used to get me through some of these currents on the river. Funny story short, I made a run on a section of the river I have never been on and was BS'ing with a guy on another boat that was out there too and bragging how good the Mariner4 is etc... he said I would have to paddle back upstream because of the current there. I said no way, this 55 is a beast etc...(Jokingly)... he bet me a six pack..... on the way back I just about had to paddle back, the current was just strong enough to almost keep me in place at 100% throttle. Took me 45 minutes to go a very short distance. So, hence my decision to think about an outboard motor because I will be using this section of the river soon and that day the river was way down. On a normal day the current is twice as strong.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to finish up the dolly this coming up weekend and will post photos and results. Also doing the bow board to hold the scuba tanks and detecting gear. Heading out in a few hours for a night diving on the river (long story on why night diving but...). Have to teach a new guy night diving and killing two birds with one tank.

Brusac

Seaman
No Title

Been dealing with a slow leak in chamber 2 for close to 2 years now that I could never find to patch. Finally got to take her out and found that this year the leak was a little bit worse. I went down to the local West Marine store and picked up a bottle of sealant ($59) and poured some into the leaking chamber and as I was turning the boat over to coat the tube I found the leak. I also now know why I could not find it before...

Attachments

• photo247740.JPG
    photo247740.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 24
  • photo247741.JPG
    photo247741.JPG
    376.7 KB · Views: 23

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yesterday was a good and bad day out on the river. I took the wife out with me to fish a little and then the plan was for her to watch as I did a couple of dives, well that was the plan lol.

We caught a few good fish, she out fished me and caught a couple of really good catfish. Then as we were heading towards one of my dive spots we came up on an older couple who were stuck on a very shallow rocky area (this area of the river is anywhere between 3 feet to 2 inches deep and very rocky for about a 1/4 mile). They were fishing and didn't pay attention and got stuck, usually they power through there with their jet o/b no problems. I got out and pushed/pulled them out. I mention this because they come into play in this long story later lol. We then continued on for about five miles down river.

I decided to show the wife an area where there is an eagle nest before my diving. We then leave and go to my diving sight. FIRST PROBLEM of our day happens. The handle pops out of the TM (like others on here have experienced, Minn Kota endura maxx 55) for the first time. It happened at the worse time (was dodging some rocks and getting away from a sand bar). Luckily it popped back in ok. Then 30 minutes later happened again but this time it snapped back in like it was new.
Going to have to check it out tomorrow.

Then we stop at an island for a quick walk around to see what was there. Then we headed back upstream towards my dive site and the SECOND PROBLEM happen about 1/2 mile away from the island. We lost total power. Battery charge was still showing 2 bars on the TM. The prop was not spinning. I took it apart and found out a) the pin in the prop shaft broke and b) I did not bring my spare one!!! So here we are about 4 1/2 miles down river, no spare pin, no cell coverage to call anyone, and nobody else out on the river and no houses until about 3 miles up river and a semi-fast current. I tried rowing but could not make any progress against the current. So I had to wade and pull the boat. Thankfully the river was shallow by the banks. Long story short (well a little short), after about 3 hours of pulling/wading (about 3 miles or so, and the wife riding in the boat most of the way lol) and cussing myself for not bringing those spare parts, we came upon the older couple's camp site (they help run and rent a camp site for their RV for about 7 months a year). They yelled for us to come over. So we did, and the lady drove the wife to our truck at the boat ramp so she can get our truck and load the boat there. The guy was also a veteran like me, so we hit it off really good. Got the boat loaded up and we sat around for about 3 hours BS'ing. They offered us a spot that has about 100 ft water frontage for $20 a month (and electrical) for 7 months a year (the owner hunts the property during the off season so nobody stays there for about 5 months a year). An awesome deal because it usually goes for $100 a month or even more. They said we saved them because they could not have gotten out without us and nobody else would help them, then they saved us from another hour or two of pulling the boat. VERY NICE PEOPLE.

MORALE/LESSONS of this long winded story: A) Always carry backup/spare parts. B) If you are going to a remote or semi-remote area where there are very few people have a portable radio to call for assistance if needed (I have one but lent it to my brother in-law, and I figure we could wade the majority of the trip back if something happened) C) ALWAYS help other people out on the water (I mention this for the rant to follow after this), D) Make sure you are in good physical condition to be able to self rescue if need be (I am in decent shape, but have had neck surgery/fusions so pulling the boat was not fun and the wife is not in great health...) and E) Bring sun screen because I am burnt up lol.

Even though we had these issues, we enjoyed the fishing and being out on the water. Also, we met two new friends and will be enjoying their company!

RANT: We had one boat pass us about 1/2 mile from the campsite. I was pulling the boat and he stopped a few yards away and asked if we broke down, I said yes and what the issue was. He said "sorry about your luck" and took off. Now don't get me wrong, I did not expect help or a pull for a half mile but that was BS. I always help others whenever I can especially out there on the river (I have pulled others for miles in my other boat and have given rides back to the ramp in this Mariner4 because of course I can't pull with it lol). I was taught when I first started boating that you always help others out there on the water or at least send help if you couldn't help. I told the our new friends about this and they said he is an a_^%*&^ and come flying through that area and almost swamped a couple of kayakers.

Sorry for the long post. This adventure was only supposed to last from 6am to about 1pm but lasted until about 7pm. Thankfully I told the inlaws our "boating plan" and estimated time return (I told them to get our other boat and come looking after 6pm but called from the camp site).

Tomorrow I will start working on the issues!

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
Going to finish up the dolly this coming up weekend and will post photos and results. Also doing the bow board to hold the scuba tanks and detecting gear. Heading out in a few hours for a night diving on the river (long story on why night diving but...). Have to teach a new guy night diving and killing two birds with one tank.

Cant wait to see the dolly, going camping next month and I would love to be able to just wheel the boat back to the campsite.

Holy problems!! Sorry to hear about your luck i cant imagine towing that boat by hand for 3 hours that is insane. And seriously f that guy who didnt help you out, why even bother stopping at ask. I was so happy when i broke down and a lady offered us a ride to our car.

Well if nothing else you got a good story, campsite and some experience out of it. How do you think the pin broke?

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
Been dealing with a slow leak in chamber 2 for close to 2 years now that I could never find to patch. Finally got to take her out and found that this year the leak was a little bit worse. I went down to the local West Marine store and picked up a bottle of sealant ($59) and poured some into the leaking chamber and as I was turning the boat over to coat the tube I found the leak. I also now know why I could not find it before...

That's a sneaky location for a hole. Mine detached a bit too, i sealed it up with a patch but never noticed any water coming out from there, it looked like a protective bumper that is attached on top. (u have the older yellow writing version)

Brusac

Seaman
Leak update - So the leak in the #2 chamber was under the side rock guard strip where chambers 1 and 2 meet. Once I poured the sealant into the chamber and started rotating the boat the sealing was slowly flowing out of the leak. On the negative side I may have put too much sealant in as it is still not fully dry on the inside (I started Friday afternoon and ow it's Monday). On the positive side it took a full day rotating the boat and then letting it sit before the sealant stopped flowing out the leak ( so maybe I didn't use too much). I have had the boat inflated since I started on Friday and it has not shown any signs of air loss since Saturday. I have not fully inflated chamber 2 yet, been keeping it just under inflated. Once I know the sealant is dry I will fully inflate it and see if it hold pressure but so far looking good. I may use a q-tip soaked in sealant and apply it to the gap in the rock guard every couple of hours to back up the repair.