Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

wellysm

Cadet
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Hi Shadow-cruiser

The wood cost me less than 25$ (I got 5 x 8' and 2 x 6') the 8' are for the floor, and the 6' are the horizontal pieces that will hold them together...

Just wondering which battery did you buy from Coscto? specs? They told me they didn't have any deep cycles when I called them. I just bought a deep cycle from Canadian Tire, was going to go for an Optima, but size was an issue (55 Amps only)
The one I got is this: Group 24 AGM Deep Cycle Battery | Canadian Tire

Hi Shadow-cruiser

The wood cost me less than 25$ (I got 5 x 8' and 2 x 6') the 8' are for the floor, and the 6' are the horizontal pieces that will hold them together...

Just wondering which battery did you buy from Coscto? specs? They told me they didn't have any deep cycles when I called them. I just bought a deep cycle from Canadian Tire, was going to go for an Optima, but size was an issue (55 Amps only)
The one I got is this: Group 24 AGM Deep Cycle Battery | Canadian Tire

Not sure where you are located but every Costco in Ottawa has them in stock. Here's the three that they stock

photo8.jpg
photo10.jpg
photo9.jpg

I bought the Group 27, starting/deep cycle, 845 MCA, 120 AH, $99.99. I would personally return that battery you purchased as 75 AH is quite little and call up other Costco's. Since stores are just receiving their summer stock, some stores may not have it yet. If you can't find them at Costco, Walmart has the Energizer Maxx Deep Cycle with Group 27, starting/deep cycle, 845 MCA, 120 AH for $109 and 4 year warranty. It's manufactured by Johnson Controls, same company that makes batteries for Costco. Better than Canadian Tire in my opinion

Looking at what you bought, are you planning to make your floor like this (please excuse the rough sketch:))?
Iyx0jG5.jpg

wellysm

Cadet

Ah I see...
I hope CT will take it back. Just called them, they said no for car batteries, however Marine batteries no one seems to know the policy. Apparently as long as it hasn't been installed, then it's a yes (Still sitting in my basement for the past 4 days).

Are the batteries sold at Costco AGM or regular liquid acid?

Regarding the drawing, you have it the other way around. I'll start putting it together now and taking pics, hopefully i'll post up some pics within the hour.

Cheers

William

Ah I see...
I hope CT will take it back. Just called them, they said no for car batteries, however Marine batteries no one seems to know the policy. Apparently as long as it hasn't been installed, then it's a yes (Still sitting in my basement for the past 4 days).

Are the batteries sold at Costco AGM or regular liquid acid?

Regarding the drawing, you have it the other way around. I'll start putting it together now and taking pics, hopefully i'll post up some pics within the hour.

Cheers

William

Hi William,

Personally, I had two really bad experiences with car batteries at CT which is why I went to Costco. The first time two years into my pro rated warranty, they said the battery malfunctioned because it was frozen. It wasn't frozen and didn't show any signs of being frozen. The second time a battery sulphated within 6 months of purchase. I didn't have it hooked up to a charger or anything. They refused to honour the warranty.

The batteries at Costco are the wet/flooded type. They don't carry Gel Cell type batteries unfortunately. The cost difference leaned toward the Costco purchase.

Ah ok, awesome!. Can't wait for the pics.

Cheers,
Neil

wellysm

Cadet

IMG_20130521_182228.jpgHi Neil,

Thats what worries me when shopping at CT.

Regarding the pics, here is one I took 30 mins ago, just to give you an idea. This is one of the two floor pieces; the first two boards will have their corners rounded so that they fit within the boat. The part that has the horizontal boat closes to it will be the centre - This will allow for more support for the door hinges I am installing. The other horizontal beams will also serve for support for the seats or whatever I end up installing on them.

Cheers.

William

I just finished making these corner cuts, soon I will assemble (if I have time). I'll take more pics once it's all put together.

Hi William,

Personally, I had two really bad experiences with car batteries at CT which is why I went to Costco. The first time two years into my pro rated warranty, they said the battery malfunctioned because it was frozen. It wasn't frozen and didn't show any signs of being frozen. The second time a battery sulphated within 6 months of purchase. I didn't have it hooked up to a charger or anything. They refused to honour the warranty.

The batteries at Costco are the wet/flooded type. They don't carry Gel Cell type batteries unfortunately. The cost difference leaned toward the Costco purchase.

Ah ok, awesome!. Can't wait for the pics.

Cheers,
Neil

View attachment 194909Hi Neil,

Thats what worries me when shopping at CT.

Regarding the pics, here is one I took 30 mins ago, just to give you an idea. This is one of the two floor pieces; the first two boards will have their corners rounded so that they fit within the boat. The part that has the horizontal boat closes to it will be the centre - This will allow for more support for the door hinges I am installing. The other horizontal beams will also serve for support for the seats or whatever I end up installing on them.

Cheers.

William

I just finished making these corner cuts, soon I will assemble (if I have time). I'll take more pics once it's all put together.

Ah I see!. The width of the wood fits the inside of the boat perfectly?. That's pretty awesome you didn't have to do a lot of cutting. Are you planning on replacing the original slat floor with this one or placing the wood on top of it?. Looks great and will definitely wait for the final pics. Once you have it fitted, I'm really curious about the final measurements of the wood floor:)

beachblue

Cadet

Mrdrh99. To extend the cable run to the front of the boat for the battery do you think the cable could be run through a garden hose which would then be easy to roll out and push under the tubes ? Thanks

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Beach....that's actually a fantastic idea! Never thought about it and may have to try that my self! I admit, that long cable is a pain to manage sometimes

Btw....how is that launcher working out for you?

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My post on May 17, 2013 commented on the much greater floor space there was in the Mariner 4 compared to the HF-360. Since I am in somewhat a unique position, having owned both boats and having made solid wood floors for both, I hope to be able to provide a somewhat unique perspective. As part of that, I am posting the floors I made for each, positioned to see the size/shape difference:

Boat Floors HF-360 vs Mariner 4 small.jpg

NOTE: While the Sevylor HF-360 floor (green) is on top of the Intex Mariner 4 (gray) floor, the internal length of the HF-360 boat is larger than this photo might indicate. The ends of that boat are rounded, but design recommendations I followed for the floor boards did not continue the hard floor right to the boat's ends, but rather recommended an inverted curve, which I employed, presumably to make board removal easier. Instead of scooped ends for this boat, envision the floor continuing to a smooth curved cone at either end. I hope this helps.

beachblue

Cadet

Beach....that's actually a fantastic idea! Never thought about it and may have to try that my self! I admit, that long cable is a pain to manage sometimes

Btw....how is that launcher working out for you?

Have not had chance to use it as we have been able to get a site right on the edge of the water at both campgrounds we have stayed at on this trip. Did put it together last night as were going to move to a site about 300 yards away that offered more shade so was going to move the boat there with the launcher but then the people on that site decided not to leave, so I sit here looking at it unused so far.

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, that is a significant difference. When i got my mariner i was going back and forth between it and the Sevylor.. now im glad i went with the mariner instead.. thanks for the pics copper!!

Q-BAN

mrdrh99

Yeah Copper, I have watched hundreds of videos on the Fish Hunter, and was very close to buying one! I got the mariner because I already had the motor mount for intex and I'm soooo glad I did! I can not believe the difference in space!

mrdrh99

Beach, keep us in the loop when you do get a chance to use that launcher because I think a lot of people are very interested in it!

wellysm

Cadet

OK, so I am almost done

Yesterday I put all the pieces together. 3 1.25" screws at each crossing (more than needed...better safe than sorry). Used 3 door hinges (worked great). Very stable when opened up and placed in the boat.

Going away for the weekend, however when I am back, the plan is to find two milk crates, install my folding seats that I got on them using hinges as awell, allowing me to open it up like a car trunk, at the same time, tethering the seat to the milk crate (I know someone on here made a square piece of wood and attached it to the seat, allowing it to sit in the milk crate.

Additionally, instead of using bungee cords to attach the milk milk crate to the wooden floor, I will make a small mechanism that would take less than a second to secure. I'll make a video showing it, as it would be hard to describe on here.

I was going to cover it all with carpet.... now I think I may just leave it as is - as it looks great + If it gets wet, it will dry faster/easier. I am also in the process of trying out different glues to attach pipe insulation foam to the edges... still no luck with the cheap glue I have here

Note that the two small pieces of wood in some pictures are not installed yet. They will be used to make a square surface area for the milk crates...again future pics/videos will show this better.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration and great ideas.

IMG_20130521_182228.jpgIMG_20130522_202201.jpgIMG_20130522_202207.jpgIMG_20130522_202144.jpgIMG_20130522_202236.jpg

wellysm

Cadet

more pics... (sorry it only limits me to 5 pics/post)
IMG_20130522_202236.jpgIMG_20130522_203425.jpg

That looks great!. I'm curious to see how heavy the whole piece is and is it manageable for one person to install it in the boat themselves. If you have a chance to take measurements, that would be very much appreciated:). Again, it looks awesome!

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! That's quality work! I agree on not using carpet. In addition the the wetness issue it would be a shame to cover that nice wood plus you'd have the extra weight and load to pack with carpet.

In your last photo, you have it installed over the slat floor. Is that how it is intended to be used?

mrdrh99

Looking good wellysm! I'm also curious of the weight and did you put hinges on it?

Mr.Victor

Cadet

This thread inspired me to mod out my mariner so thanks to you all! I took all the different stuff I liked from each of you and now I am going completely overboard with my mod haha. I have three 36" x 34 3/8" pieces of 1/2" plywood. I am going to round the front and rear pieces. Then I'm going to sand the edges round and coat with a grey solid stain. I'm not too concerned about puncturing the tubes so I'm not doing the pipe insulation. Then I'm going to carpet the floor and mounts some pedestal seats on the front and back pieces. I will be posting more details and some pics soon.:rockon::peace:

ronaldj

Is there some sort of top being considered. It would be a shame to have some of the floors be sun fadded