Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Wait...the raft/boat doesn't have to be registered does it? Thinking about getting the mariner 4 today or tomorrow. What do you guys recommend for a trolling motor? Is there any big difference in a longer or shorter shaft? Looking at getting the Minn kota endurance c2 30 with a 30 inch shaft and the Minn kota c2 40 with a 36 inch shaft. Also what brand or battery type would be good for longest lasting hours? I have also noticed that there's two of the mariner 4. A 2008 model which has the black and yellow logo on the side and the newer version I guess of with the black and red logos. Any difference between the two? Newby here sorry for so many questions

It depends on where you live . Each state in the lower 48 and each country have different rules.
It also depends on where you want to use it . If you are in the USA and the boat touches salt water then the coast guard wants it registered.

shotokan

Cadet

Well after I read the DNR website in detail there was a section for online purchases that stated it was indeed acceptable for the certificate to be printed off the website. I read this word for word to the DNR manager and she has agreed to accept it. So its in the mail again...lets see if it goes through this time!

Can anyone provide the specs they used for the plywood floor?

mrdrh99

28" wide x 90"ish long....tapered at ends to fit. It's actually longer than a sheet of 8'plywood but that's more than enough

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MrDrH99:

I took some time before responding to your query regarding the Sevylor HF-360 vs. the Intex Mariner 4 and should probably give a brief background before responding. I've owned and used 2 Sevylor HF-360s, for 4-5 months and ~12 months respectively and have had my Intex Mariner 4 for about a month now. I modded the 2nd HF-360 with hard floor, 2 raised swivel fishing seats and a work surface, and am in the process of doing the same for my Mariner 4. When in use, each of the 3 boats was taken out on freshwater lakes (~100 acre max.) about once a week.

My 1st Sevylor HF-360 was bought in the spring (2011) and in September, a seam within one (outer) of the 2 major valves failed completely. This was not due to over-inflation or contact with anything sharp. After a dispute with Sevylor, this issue was settled to my satisfaction and I started out 2012 with a new Sevylor HF-360. In about March of this year, the small floor valve failed in this boat. Highly skeptical but with nothing to lose, I patched it with Sevylor repair glue. Two trips later, the inner major valve failed. Very discouraged, I tried the same repair on this valve, given the smaller, earlier fix was still holding. If all factory-direct valves needed to fail, then be fixed, to make them stronger, I was fine with this. One or 2 weeks later, the floor valve failed again. Too many fishing days lost, particularly after all the prep and driving time. I ordered an Intex Mariner 4 that night.

So: Question: Valves aside, do I prefer one boat over the other?
- after considerable use, I have not found any other significant flaw in the HF-360, though the placement of the valves for the 2 bottom stability tubes, is poor - this boat seems to be surprisingly sturdy
- after only 6-7 outings, I have not found any significant flaw in the Mariner 4 - this boat appears to overall be of better quality but the Mariner 4 lists for roughly $100 more
- the HF-360 has an impressive rigid inflatable floor that keeps any limited water in the boat, to the sides, with 4 drain holes in the bottom, for easier removal; is about a foot longer overall and is rated for 1200 lbs total weight support
- the Mariner 4 has a slatted floor with very impressive slats but a weak sleeve containment design; is about a foot shorter overall, but due to smaller tubes, offers about a foot longer internal length and maybe 6" greater internal width and accordingly is rated for only 880 lbs total weight support .
- motor mounts for the Mariner 4 are of much better quality than the one for the HF-360 and are a fraction of the cost (~$20 vs ~ $45); these must be bought separately for both boats
- oars that come with the Mariner 4 are impressive in quality while the HF-360 does not come with any.

When I first started writing this I thought that if cost was a concern and the HF-360 had Boston Valves, I'd choose the HF-360. However, the added cost of oars and the motor mount for the HF-360 eliminate this scenario.

For fishing, the Mariner 4's significantly greater internal space is a huge plus and it's weight capacity of 880 lbs is far from restrictive. Only if you absolutely need the HF-360's extra 300 lb capacity, would this be the boat of choice, and then, only if the newly designed valves were replaced.

Hands down, the Intex Mariner 4 wins, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

hotsauce

Cadet

So how do you go about to get your boat registered? Who did you guys call to get your info or papers so dmv will.register it? Ordered mines already and should be here by next mid week . Didnt realize we had to register it. Thanks a bunch guys. You guys are awesome. Got my MK 40 in today and jus waiting for the raft and motor mount. Damn hell excited!

mrdrh99

Hotsauce, here in va, i first contacted the dgif (dept of game and inland fisheries) before buying the boat and made sure i could in fact register and title the boat, also found out what documentation would be needed. Here the cert of origin provided by intex along with a couple photos of the boat, and of course the all important $, is all that was needed. Took a week and a half from time put in mail until title and #s received.

beachblue

Cadet

Got to take my Mariner 4 out on the water for the first time this week. Takes about 20 minutes to blow up from scratch. When I opened the boat up I found the stick on letters made for the job hadn't stuck so had to do a bit of improvising and made some hangers. Will have to get stencils and magic marker. Very pleased with the way it handles being a novice boater really have nothing to compare it to though. Really think I will extend the cables for the battery box as mrdrh has done so that I can put it up front as with my 225 lbs on top of the 60/70 lbs of the battery it seems a bit low at the back end.

I am camped at the tailwater of a dam and after all the rain they are letting water out continuously at the moment so coming back is very much against the current and have to open the MK 40 up to 5 but it moves very well at that setting. Made a cage to fit over my cooler and then fixed a swivel and a round table top that I had lying around in my garage and it works well as a swivel seat. Don't think I would trust the provided floor to stand up on so will probably put a wooden floor in later. But overall very pleased with my buy.boat1.JPG

mrdrh99

Great to see you got it registered and out on the water! Putting the battery up front is a great idea, really helps balance the boat out. I like your seat idea, i played around with something like that but decided to go with a pedestal seat to keep as much floor space open as possible.

hotsauce

Cadet

thanks mrdrh99 I'll check it out some. If not I'll call intex themselves when the raft arrives to see how about to go and get my numbers. I got my trolling motor and motor mount in already. just waiting on the raft.

Beachblue- so yours came with letters? Are they what is needed to get the boat registered?

hotsauce

Cadet

So thinking about working on a wood floor. I'm sure I can probably get answers at home depot for the coating but I prefer to get it from you guys. On your guy's experiences what works better and or is needed. I read the forum over quite a few times already and have somewhat of an idea just wanted to get some advise. Thanks.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For what it is worth, for my Sevylor HF-360, I went to Home Depot last spring, explained the intent (paint for floorboards for an inflatable boat that would be assembled & disassembled for each use) and was directed to Behr's latex/enamel for outside work (~$17/quart). Now I have an Intex Mariner 4, I went to Walmart 2-3 weeks ago, posed the same situation, and showed them the other can. They did not carry Behr, but suggested Gliddon exterior latex/enamel, a primer & paint combo (~$13 quart).

The Behr was applied using 2 coats and worked perfectly, fishing 2-4 day-trips per month, depending on the month. The Gliddon was also applied in 2 coats, has seen 2-3 trips so far, and I am equally as pleased. At this stage I wouldn't hesitate with either.

mrdrh99

For what it is worth, for my Sevylor HF-360, I went to Home Depot last spring, explained the intent (paint for floorboards for an inflatable boat that would be assembled & disassembled for each use) and was directed to Behr's latex/enamel for outside work (~$17/quart). Now I have an Intex Mariner 4, I went to Walmart 2-3 weeks ago, posed the same situation, and showed them the other can. They did not carry Behr, but suggested Gliddon exterior latex/enamel, a primer & paint combo (~$13 quart).

The Behr was applied using 2 coats and worked perfectly, fishing 2-4 day-trips per month, depending on the month. The Gliddon was also applied in 2 coats, has seen 2-3 trips so far, and I am equally as pleased. At this stage I wouldn't hesitate with either.
Copper, about time we see some pics buddy!

Fwiw, i did the same with mine, 3 coats of valspar exterior, then used indoor/outdoor carpet, works great!

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MrDrH99: I've been chomping at the bit, trying to get things ready to show it off, but am still not there yet. I have the floor cut and painted, with the back seat affixed to the floor. The front seat needed positioning, which I did yesterday. I've made my work area for both people and painted it but am planning trim, that's not ready yet. This is far from a good shot of incomplete work, which really shows little. That said, keep in mind that mine is designed to be assembled and broken down at the water's edge, every time.

2013-05-19_12-17-29_925.jpg

Notice I still have the Sevylor colored seats!

hotsauce

Cadet

Thanks copper fox. That helps alot and nice set up by the way. Cant wait to see when you're finished. Makes me wanna mod mines already.Also, where did you get those seats? Not looking for anything too expensive if it is. Just something simple.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got them about a year ago at Cabellas. If I recall correctly, the list was $39 each but they were on for $29. To the base of each I bolted a boat seat swivel (~$8 ea.) from Walmart and bolted that to a piece of plywood. The whole thing is on a milk crate (Walmart ~$6 ea.). For more specifics, I detailed that work on this site at the time, with photos. It should be searchable, but I'd be happy to help in addition to that, if I can.

beachblue

Cadet

No hot sauce what meant was the stick on letters I bought I stuck on at home then folded the boat up. When I next got it out the numbers were hanging off so stuck them on a board and hung them over the side, just to be legal. I was supposed to stick the state decal on as well but carried it on the boat instead, didn't want that falling in the water.

thanks mrdrh99 I'll check it out some. If not I'll call intex themselves when the raft arrives to see how about to go and get my numbers. I got my trolling motor and motor mount in already. just waiting on the raft.

Beachblue- so yours came with letters? Are they what is needed to get the boat registered?

mrdrh99

MrDrH99: I've been chomping at the bit, trying to get things ready to show it off, but am still not there yet. I have the floor cut and painted, with the back seat affixed to the floor. The front seat needed positioning, which I did yesterday. I've made my work area for both people and painted it but am planning trim, that's not ready yet. This is far from a good shot of incomplete work, which really shows little. That said, keep in mind that mine is designed to be assembled and broken down at the water's edge, every time.

View attachment 194730

Notice I still have the Sevylor colored seats!

Nice Copper, is your battery in the back? How does it handle like that? I was originally thinking of a center work area like yours but wanted to save the center for standing. Good Job! cant wait to see the finished product!

wellysm

Cadet

Hi everyone,

I joined this form because of this great thread you guys have going on!

Up until this weekend, I had both an Intex seahawk 4 and an Intex Seahawk II. Both had a few small mods in them, nothing big.... Last week I decided I wanted the great quality of the seahawk II with the size of the Seahawk 4, the Mariner 4 came to mind.

Unfortunately up here in Canada I couldn't find a single store that sells Mariner 4s. Amazon.ca would've cost me over 400... I ended up ordering from amazon.com and picking the boat up form the US on Saturday.

First thing I did yesterday was hit up the local Homedepot. The regular 1/2 ply was too cheap, alot of roughness etc (27$). The better one was very expensive, (amost 40$) and also woud've cost more to get it treated.
Another option was to buy an already sheet of 1/2 ply...again though, I didn't like the look or the feel of it... I feel it can break easily.

I ended up getting 1" x 6" x 8' outdoor treated wood... note that although this is what the measurement was advertised at, it was really 0.6" x 5.5" x 8'...

I found that 5 of them side by side gives aprox 27" width, which was perfect for my use.

I already cut them in half (easy transport) to 4' feet sections. I also got hinges that I will be using. These plaques will be joined together by a beam at the end (which will be in the middle of the boat) and another in the middle, which will be where the seat pedestal would sit.

additionally, the beams in the middle will thicken that middle part out, which will allot the hinges to hold strong when folded out that the wood wouldn't collapse.

I feel I can explain this better with a video/pictures. I will post these up tomorrow after work

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MrDrH99: Thanks! Yes, the battery is currently under the back seat with the connections from the motor going in through the handhold in the crate. Initially I figured this would add stability to the seat, but since I now cinch strap the seat to the floor, this merely utilizes available space. With the wider, longer floor of the Mariner 4, I now find my seat is less inclined to lean back, and no longer forces me to lean forward to compensate. After a day in the boat, I am now much more comfortable. Reading your thoughts on standing, I had reconsidered giving up a center work area, in favor of one on the back, as I had with my HF-360, plus adding one on the bow for the front fisher. But I realized even with the ability to stand, I wouldn't do that often and moved forward with my center piece. Sunday was the 1st time I had another adult with me, with that seat on my new floor. It allowed me to see where to position it, so I can put holes in the floor for the cinch straps. I really like the idea of carpeting, as you have done, but will have to forgo it due to a combination of the added weight and it being yet another item I have to set up and take down at the water's edge. I know I'd have gone for your seat pedestal over the crate if it was something that could more easily be carried or assembled onsite.

On a side note, I thought, since I was in a unique position of having actually made hard floors for both the Sevylor HF-360 and the Intex Mariner 4, that it would probably benefit someone if I were to show the size difference between the two. I was really surprised how great it was myself and have never seen anyone really refer to it. I hope to get a photo up here in the next few days.

Welly: Welcome to the wonderful world of the Mariner 4! I've only had mine a little over a month, but am very happy with my purchase. It sounds like you've certainly not taken the easy route there. I did use regular 1/2" (15/32") plywood and just was very careful with sanding and put two coats of good paint over it. I look forward to seeing your video - I think I get what you're going for, but a video will be worth more than 1000 words (MrDrH99 has made several that are well worth watching). I had considered using a hinge or hinges myself but in the end, elected not to. Be careful which way you place that hinge. You don't want to be repeatedly pinching the material as minor waves hit your boat. Good luck.

I recently bought the Excursion 5 after doing tons and tons of research. Upon receiving it, I read many instances the boat is very flimsy and walking on the floor is like walking on an air bed. I decided to sell it and go for the Mariner 4 after reading up some more. Like wellysm, I also live in Canada and this boat is no where to found. Picked it up from Ogdensburg just yesterday. Bought the composite motor mount, deep cycle battery from Costco and a Minn Kota 45 C2. Now I need 2 PFD's, boat safety kit and an anchor, still trying to decide what brands to get to maximize space.

I'm an angler who never sits when he fishes. How tolerable is it standing and walking on the original floor?. I bought this boat with the intention of storing it in my 1 bedroom apt and easy transport with my Honda Accord. Just wondering if I should start working on the floor right away.

WellySM - How much did you pay for that wood?...and are they very heavy?