Interpreting Hypervision Sonar Images

Kiggsia

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am using my new fishfinder a lot looking at bottom structure on the western end of Lake Erie and Green Island. Might anyone know what the ragged bottom contour near Maumee Bay State Park is in the first attachment? And in the more ornate images just off Green Island northeast point, are these rock formations mainly or all different types of underwater vegetation? And is the third attachment with the fuzzy image just a sunken log, a giant Catfish, or, as a pal suggested, a giant swarm of Mayflies emerging from the mud?

Attachments

• Maybe Rock Seaweed.jpg
    Maybe Rock Seaweed.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 3
  • Off Green Island4.jpg
    Off Green Island4.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Maybe Sunken Log.jpg
    Maybe Sunken Log.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Off Green Island2.jpg
    Off Green Island2.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 4

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am using my new fishfinder a lot looking at bottom structure on the western end of Lake Erie and Green Island. Might anyone know what the ragged bottom contour near Maumee Bay State Park is in the first attachment? And in the more ornate images just off Green Island northeast point, are these rock formations mainly or all different types of underwater vegetation? And is the third attachment with the fuzzy image just a sunken log, a giant Catfish, or, as a pal suggested, a giant swarm of Mayflies emerging from the mud?
Your swam of mayflies is bait fish with a few larger fish mixed in the back side.
Your maybe seaweed looks to be the rhythmic rocking of the boat

The lack of detail is why I don’t use “down view” or whatever name your particular mfg uses.

Running CHIRP gives a very detailed, MRI type detailed returns as opposed to the “photos” of object.

Kiggsia

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your swam of mayflies is bait fish with a few larger fish mixed in the back side.
Your maybe seaweed looks to be the rhythmic rocking of the boat

The lack of detail is why I don’t use “down view” or whatever name your particular mfg uses.

Running CHIRP gives a very detailed, MRI type detailed returns as opposed to the “photos” of object.
Thanks for reply, dingbat. Since uploading those images, I have been seeing other strange imagery, when using 3d realvision. In the center of the 3d image, along the bright yellow line which I'm told is the sonar beam, I often see small black squarish and rectangular shapes that don't seem to be shadows, I don't see any objects next to them to be casting shadows. I can tell they are a common occurence, I have seen them in tutorial video images but the narrator had never made any recognition or comment about them. Might you know what these are?

Attachments

• ScreenShot017.png
    ScreenShot017.png
    466.4 KB · Views: 4
  • USO2.jpg
    USO2.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 4

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for reply, dingbat. Since uploading those images, I have been seeing other strange imagery, when using 3d realvision. In the center of the 3d image, along the bright yellow line which I'm told is the sonar beam, I often see small black squarish and rectangular shapes that don't seem to be shadows, I don't see any objects next to them to be casting shadows. I can tell they are a common occurrence, I have seen them in tutorial video images but the narrator had never made any recognition or comment about them. Might you know what these are?
The sonar "beam" is sound. You can't see it. The yellow line is a software "feature".

Educated guess...........the black blotches are where the computer for one reason or another is having issues interrupting the sonar returns or applying a software "feature" so the pixel(s) are blank.

The problem could be data overload (slow CPU) noise (electrical), invalid data from the transducer, etc.

Interesting that your sounder displays 11.6 volts