internal noise

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Evinrude 150HP 1995 60degree motor, in idle or under load at low speed like 10 15 mph it sound perfect, at higher speed 20-30 mph , I can heard like a knocking noise , wish is not consistent, it sound different every time.. .. any idea what is the most common problem, I know I will need to rebuild, just to have a idea, a wrist pin, a rod, bearings.. if this append to you , just let me know..thanks

Re: internal noise

the noise is coming from the motor or could it be something worn on the transon mount, bent prop, loose fly wheel, etc. with a mechanics stethescope (spell check?) or old school big screw driver to the motor then put ear against it (if you have a bad plug wire and it arcs to your ear lobe thats not my fault just make sure you u-tube it). you should be able to hear the internals. any knock at high speed should be there at low speed if its a bearing

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I will discard the prop, because , when in the water I put the motor in neutral , no engaging the prop, and the same at low RPM is fine, but after raising the rpm a bit the noise come back, pulled the motor cover and I'm very sure the noise was there ... but when I came back home notice the ladder was very loose, and after shaking it , the noise was very similar, will hold it well and check the flyweel also just in case and test it one more time......

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have something going in the lower unit the sound can also travel up to the power head.

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys this is what I found, removed the ladder , checked for every thing that could be making a noise.. took it to the water and same thing, the problem is that it was making the noise just under load.. back home checked the motor one more time and foud some oil leak by the sides of one of the head . pulled the head and the two upper O rings of the head were broken.. replaced the six O rings took another test ride and this time is perfect... so it was the compression leak making some type or rare noise like a taping noise... I guess under load it was to much compression and leaked by the side of the cylinder ..making that noise... well I hope this also help some body with a similar problem out there and thanks for all the previous recommendations..