Intermittent Spark

cletis234

Cadet
Re: Intermittent Spark

well with a normal multi meter you prolly won't get the correct voltage due to those not being able to read higher voltages. The correct meter to use is called a DVA meter they can test voltages all the way up to 600v and these types of meters are not cheap but they do make adapters for normal meters that are still pricey but not as expensive as the meter itself. Prolly not something you wanted to hear.

The problem you are haveing is exactly the same problem I had and it happened with 2 amplifiers.

Here is my story when I got the motor..

Sometimes it would fire sometimes it would not sometimes you would be tooling down the lake and it would shut off and not come back on or it would fire right up. I thought it was a fuel problem at first or someone did a link and sync wrong but neither was the case. I also thought it could be the carbs, fuel pump and I wanted to believe it was anything but the amplifier due to the price. Due to it running on points I wondered if it could run off of just a coil and some other parts and do it like an old car. I found this forum and some people have done it but could never really find the right way to do it but having worked on older cars alot I kinda knew how it should be done so I bought the parts, put em on and she fired right up and I have never looked back.

Now onto the good stuff. My points are fine so far so I am going to post what I did so you can try it if you like. Here is a parts list of what I bought...

Coil -- http://msdignition.com/coil_blaster_3_8222.htm

Ballast Resistor -- http://www.msdignition.com/media/images/8214.jpg the part number for this is 8214.

And just a condensor made for a 1967 Chrysler New Yorker and mounted it all up. I got it locally.

Look at my pictures here and I will narrate for you on how to do it.

This is the ballast resistor it is the white ceramic rectangle. I mounted it here cause I had an unused threaded hole and found a bolt and put it there and looks nice there also. From on your terminal strip where the red wire from the amplifier is going and take the red wire off and make a wire with a ring terminal on one end and a female spade terminal on the other end and make it long enough to goto the left side of the ballast resistor. After you have mounted the coil make another wire and put a ring terminal on one end and a female spade terminal on the other end and make it long enough to where you mount the + positive side of the coil.

Now your done with that onto step 2.

This is the condensor. Due to the mounting hole being way to small I used a pair of side cutters to make it slip onto the nut that the points are allready grounded to. Leave the Original ground on the block and just loosen the nut to put the condensor on there then re tighten. Take the wire comming out of it and add it to the other wire comming from the points that was originally connected to the amplifier and connect it along with another wire that is going to goto the - negative side of the coil, connect all three wires together either will a crimp cap like I have or a blue but connector or solder it and tape it good. What this does is it take the shock or arching after the points start to close and it will help take alot of strain off of the points. Some people have said that I have it to far away to do any good, but it does not mater how far away it is due to it just being a capacitor and current is current any way you look at it.

This is my coil. It is epoxy filled just like all boat coils are due to high vibration. I used a big hose clamp and cut it to size like in half and then some and had to cut it more on one side of the clamp to get the tightening screw out of the way of my hood so it would go back on. It is mounted in two empty holes used by the amplifier and just another empty one. It is in there nice and tight and does not move and I am thinking about putting a t-bolt style clamp in there but if this holds I prolly won't.

Anyways that is what I have and just to go over it again it goes in these steps some are not outlined in the picture narrative...

1. Remove Amplifier and Coil

2. Add wire from the key on 12 volts terminal on the terminal strip the rectangle where all the wires are screwed into and put that wire on your ballast resistor.

3. Run another wire from the Ballast Resistor to the + positive side of your coil.

4. Take wire from points that is not allready grounded the you wanna take the other wire comming out of the top. There are 2 black ones comming out of the timing plate one is allready grounded and the other went to your amplifier, you want that one. Put that wire, the wire comming out of the points and the wire from the - negative side of the coil and the wire comming out of the condensor and put all 3 of those together right at the condensor location with a but connector or a crimp cap or solder them.

Now make sure you have every thing good and solid as far as mounting goes and all connections are tight.

Now take out your spark plugs and gap them at .035 and put them back in.
Put all your wires back on and see if it fires and if you did everything right it should fire if it's got gas :).

If you have any questions about this or if I can explain it better or maybe more pics let me know.

I found out my problem with my hesistation and rough idle. I bought some new spark plug wires and one of them had a break in it, so I went to the boat store bought a new one and it runs like silk now and my top speed of 36mph is awesome so yea I am loving my ignition conversion so far.

Let me know what else you wanna know about that motor. I could prolly tell ya every thing about it. It's not really a hard motor to work on.

By the way if you buy a thermostat kit with a gasket it will prolly not fit, that is for the gasket the thermostat itself along with the cork gasket will fit. Do not buy the kit even from the dealer as it is listed wrong(atleast at my Johnson Evinrude dealer). Buy the thermostat parts separate and you will get better results. The fuel pump rebuild kit if you need one and you get one either from a local dealer or online it will also be wrong and not have everything in it you are going to need. The correct one you are going to need is for a 1990 and up fuel pump repair kit, that's what mine said it was for and had everything in it.

bben76

Seaman

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I understand your comment about my meter, after examining it further I think you're right it doesn't measure more than 200v DC. So I might have my electrician friend come over with his meter and put that on it. Also, I'm going to check the amplifier following Joe Reeves well published light bulb glow test. If his test reveals my amplifier is not functioning I'm all in for the MSD ignition conversion.

I went tonight to the O'Reilly auto parts, they have the coil, but they don't have the ballast resistor or condensor, so I'm going to have to research this and see if I can find somewhere else locally. Does the condensor have to be for a '67 New Yorker, or is there alternative?

What does the ballast resistor do?

Also, what type of wire did you use from the coil to the distributer? Is it an automotive wire or a typcial marine wire?

Thanks for the heads up on the thermostat, mine seems to be working fine as the temp is consistent.

I bought this boat for $300. Everyone told me I made a mistake b/c of the electric shift motor. I haven't had a problem with it other than this, and it has 120+ compression on all three cylinders. Last year after the carb rebuild it ran great all season. I replaced all the lower unit gaskets this winter. I've been really happy with this motor, if amp is bad I'm going to follow your process and document it and post to the forum. Can't see why this motor won't run for a long time.

Thanks for all the info! I'll keep ya'll updated as I progress.

cletis234

Cadet

No it doesn't have to be a condensor for a 1967 New Yorker that is just the one I got, but it does need to suit your needs as far as having a wire comming out of it and a decent way to mount it up and also large enough to accomodate the dual points setup and as it is the 1967 New Yorker has dual points. I also got mine at Oreilly's it cost me 5 something.

A ballast resistor knocks the voltage down to about 6 volts instead of the full 12 volts and is needed for a points type ignition if you do not have it the coil will burn up and destroy the points really fast.

I ordered my coil and ballast resistor and coil wire from summit racing online.

I forgot to put in my last post you will need a coil wire for that type of coil due to the original one on your motor not going to fit. Just cut your old end off and dismantle the new coil wire end and crimp onto your old wire, I just used the end off of the new wire and put it on my old wire going to my distributor. It fits quite nicely.

That motor should run for a long time. It is a 37 year old motor and should run for another 37 years if taken care of properly.

Good luck with it and keep me informed and if you need anything else just let me know.

By the way if you are looking for some replacement parts like that amplifier there is a guy on ebay right now parting out and entire 1970 60hp evinrude and he has 2 amplifiers and basically the whole motor.

bben76

Seaman

What does the condensor do?

When you say "crimp" the new coil wire onto the existing coil wire, what is the correct way to this? Just want to be sure I do it correctly since I know there is a lot volts being carried through the wire.

cletis234

Cadet

The condesnor takes most of the shock or arcing out of the points which is bad for points as in making them wear quite fast and pitting.

Your gonna want to take the old coil wire and cut it off right by the old boat that goes to the old coil. Cut back about 3/16" around the wire to expose the inner wire and bend it over. Take the new coil wire and remove the boot on the side that gos to the coil and then pry open the crimped part of the connector and add it to your old coil wire making sure that the bent over wire is on the metal side of the new connector and crimp it on with some pliers or anything as long as it is on there good and looks how it was originally crimped. Now slip the new boot on there and plug it in and your good to go.

Look at my coil pic and see the finished product.

bben76

Seaman

Got my ballast resistor ordered, comes in tomorrow. Going to do the big operation tomorrow.

I had another thought... one other ignition item I haven't checked is the distributer. I can't find a check for this in my manual. Is there a way to problem check it? Could it be causing the intermittent spark?

cletis234

Cadet

It could be the distributor but I doubt it my old distributor worked good after I did the conversion. I thought of that too when I had the problem with mine. You can take it off and inspect it if you like and clean it if necessary, you should look inside it where the contacts are and see it they are pitted or heavily corroded. Also look at the rotor and sand the tip with some 1000 grit sand paper till shiney don't take to much off.

bben76

Seaman

New developments!

Thought I would look through all the wires again before swicthing to auto ignition...

After very close and thorough inspection I found this! ...

688826642_1dd6864deb.jpg

This wire over time had become bare and was grounding out on the block. It leads to the item that looks like a (um, how do I say this...), a ball sack!

688826672_71c4147165.jpg

The wires leading out of this "ball sack" go the alternator (stator, not sure of the difference).

Long story short, after I repaired this I now have consistent spark. That's good news! However, the engine does not seem to be running in peak top form as of yet. I did successfully perform Joe Reeves light bulb test (http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=1311998&postcount=2) to verify that my amplifier is working correctly.

I wonder if it is my distributer because the key on the plastic center piece that spins inside the distributer is mauled, so it may not be as accurate as it should be.

Anyway, here is a video of my engine running, does this sound normal? It just doesn't seem to be running smooth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiceAV2_W1k

cletis234

Cadet

Good job on finding the wire. As far as it is running, do not rev it up just by the throttle as the timing will not advance and you should only use the throttle controls or take off the throttle controls at the motor and rev it from there not just the throttle butterflies. Also do not rev it to much while out of the water and on muffs, you can hurt stuff pretty fast as the motor will get way to hot. It sounds ok just seems like it need a little help on the idle end. I would set the idle and do a link and sync on the linkages and go from there.

Now get that thing to the lake and go fishing.

bben76

Seaman

Man do I want to get this thing to the lake and go fishing! You said it!

I see my mistake about reving with just butterflies and not advancing timing using controls.

I have it sitting in a rubbermaid container with a custom fit lid (which by the way if you live in an urban environment like me, cuts the noise level way down and keeps your neighbors from yelling) full of water and I check temp routinely while running it.

Ran it again tonight and took another video, used the controls to rev and put it in gear. As you can see, when I first start I have good spark on the cylinder I happen to be checking (bottom), however, after bringing it back to idle you'll see that spark is lost on that cylinder...what is most likely to be causing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7dAiR0WHE

(this video should load a lot quicker, I optimized it)

She wants to run! Just need to work out this last kink!

cletis234

Cadet

Well it sounds good at fast running speed nice and smooth but yea yea you have a spark issue. Check it the same way on all the other cylinders and lets see what we got. The others should be fine to to it running or it could be running down all the way to one cylinder only.

Ket me know what the other cylinders do.

iwombat

Captain

Well, I see one of your problems. That spark tester is meant to simulate the plug under load while the tester is connected to ground and has the proper gap. You've got it connected to the plug which simulates _double_ the work of the plug under load.

What's causing your problem is that under high load (about midrange) the plug is no longer able to fire. It's then wet-fouling (fuel fouling, whatever).

Get rid of the spark tester and use an induction timing light for this kind of test. Right idea, wrong tool.

bben76

Seaman

jwombat - i could connect the tester to ground and run the engine and if gapped properly i should get an accurate test, correct? or must i go the timing light route? (can't find my timing light...think the dumb thing is in storage)

bben76

Seaman

A quick update to all. Never did get it running with consistent spark. Sold the boat and the buyer is going to do the conversion to MSD ignition this weekend.

I'll update the forum as I learn of his progress.

Sure others will want to know how a conversion to MSD goes....

cletis234

Cadet

Cool let me know how it goes. Mine is going strong on the conversion. I could not be happier with it and it has not failed me yet. Let me know what he does to it.

Cya

bben76

Seaman

For whatever it's worth, I just happened to be cruising the listings on craigslist tonight and saw that the buyer of my little project boat got it working, but is now selling her.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/566283048.html

So, just thought I'd follow up with one last post for whoever might read this. It does work!

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

That's how it goes, glad to hear at least he got it running.