Interesting IE8 feature (quirk?)

bassman284

Commander
called Compatibility View, intended to improve the look of websites designed for older browsers. I found out that if you click that (inadvertently in my case) while in iboats, you will be treated to the display problems experienced by IE7 users. Took me a while to figure that one out.

I pulled the trigger Friday afternoon and installed IE8. Fired it up and checked all the places in iboats (and other sites) where I'd had display problems with IE7 and it was all good. Uncapped a bottle in celebration.Yesterday evening I checked the Mercury Mariner forum and it was scrambled like it was in IE7.

After a lot of Googling and bad words, something clicked a little while ago and I thought, "Duh, what if?" I checked the Compatibility View settings under Tools and, sure enough, iboats was in the CV box. I removed it and everything cleared up.

The Compatiblity View button is right beside the Refresh button so I guess I went to refresh and hit the wrong one. Since I was in a section that didn't have problems in IE7, nothing changed. The button is a toggle, so it will put you in if you're out, out if you're in.

More Darn Fun!!!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Interesting IE8 feature (quirk?)

Give Google Chrome a try. It took me about a week to get used to it, but I now hate to even go to IE8 (64) to even test things. It's just too slow compared to Chrome.

bassman284

Commander

Hmmm. Well, I guess it doesn't cost anything to try. I'm an old dog and don't particularly like new tricks although I'm generally reasonably good at them, given time. More speed would be nice.

This computer is a 10 year old Dell that probably should have died a long time ago. It was pretty fast when it was new but now is pretty much slammed to its knees by most websites. I also have a fairly new Acer laptop so I know what is possible. Lord knows I've got time to mess around so what the heck? Could be fun. Thanks.

Just FYI, the laptop has Windows 7 and originally had IE8 on it. A few weeks ago I upped to IE9 and it is WAY faster. I was amazed. Reviews I read say its interface is similar to Chrome. Definitely different than 8.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was also an old dog and tried Chrome while kicking and screaming saying I wanted my IE. Like I said it took me about a week of contant hating Chrome before I figured it out and made it work similar to my prized IE.

dolluper

Captain

Old p4 running Xp and ie8 no probs and fast ....just must be lucky eh lols