Installing External Fuel Filter - How Critical is Placement in Direct Sun?

SoCalPescador

Seaman
Preparing to install a 10 micron Yamaha external fuel filter for my 2017 F25 LWTC.
Installation instructions call for not mounting in direct sunlight due to potential fuel vapor lock.

My boat is a Alumacraft V16 simple aluminum skiff. There are no out of sun areas to mount the filter. It will be mounted just in front of transom under the splash well. It will be in the sun. I hate to not have a filter due to potential vapor lock.

See pics below for where it will be mounted....

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• fuel filter2.jpg
    fuel filter2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 6
  • fuel filter1.jpg
    fuel filter1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 6

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
you know it has a filter under the cowl already, right?

but if you want to add another one under the splash-well go right ahead.
it will not be in direct sunlight all the time depending on which way the boat is facing to the sun, and you could rig up a piece of plastic or metal hanging down to add shade.
10 micron may be tough on that little pump to such thru, but then it does not need a lot of flow

SoCalPescador

Seaman
Yes, it has the small fuel filter under cowling. The external filter (10 micron) is what is recommended by Yamaha. I thought the same thing about the sucking ability, but apparently not an issue. I even checked with a dealer to verify.

It's the direct sunlight that I am concerned about, as the install instructions stated this. I guess some sort of cover could be used.