Installing carpet

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody have any tips for a guy installing carpet for the first time? What tools I might need, techniques, ect.

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Installing carpet

I should also tell you that it is going in a 22ft boat that has all new flooring. Also any favorite products that anybody has used would be helpful. thanks kep.

jpcody66

Seaman Apprentice

Kep,<br /><br />I just put a new floor and carpet in my boat. The carpet I used was marine grade carpet, the backing is rubber. I used the old carpet as a template to cut the new carpet (just make sure the new and old pieces are both right side up or visa versa) then cut the new carpet about three inches over on each side. Then I laid it out to make sure of the fit. My carpet laid in three sections, two on the sides and the main piece in the middle. I applied an outdoor carpet glue with a trowel per the instructions on the can and applied it in sections starting with the front first. As I made my way towards the back I rolled the carpet over the glue I had applied. Once it was down I rolled a rolling pin over everything to make the glue adhere better and also to take out any high or low spots in the glue. I then cut the overhanging pieces on the edges. It turned out great. Just beware, the glue can be pretty messy.<br />Good luck!

Realgun

Commander

Use outdoor carpet glue as JCody did. The spray suff I used did not hold the carpet to the boat.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Go check out bassboatcarpet.com they have great deals, are very helpful, and have an installation manual that is very easy to read and very helpful. They even include a carpet knife and extra blades with. Even if you don't buy from them you can learn a lot.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Carpet gets dirty and holds a lot of dirt and sand as well as odors build up from getting wet. I put the cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from the home centers in my boat. It's not holding up as well as I would like. Looks good, but it is full of sand and salt water starts to leave an odor....<br /><br />Next time I'm going to use something else, or nothing at all. <br /><br />Just something to think about before buying carpet, even the good stuff.