Installation of new gas tank and vent

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have decided to install an on board fuel tank instead of using the original portable fuel tanks. I have installed the tank in the bow of the boat however, I am not sure where to place the gas tank filler and vent. (the boat is closed bow)

My idea is to install the filler near the front of the boat and the vent near the center of the bow. (half way between the gas filler and windshield)

Are these locations OK? I don't want to drill holes in my boat and find out these locations are incorrect.

Any input would be appreciated.

tinkasochi

Recruit
You will always have more front to back fuel transfer so I always install my vents and fillers on the sides of the tank. Less chance of fuel sloshing out of one of them but, as long as both are significantly above the max fuel level of the tank, you should be good in any location.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This should be of interest...
Based on the drawing I would think you could mount both the filler tube and the vent in the top of the bow and be good to go! They make Fittings that are set up for this exact set up.

$_1.JPG

Last edited:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
What's the purpose of the loop in the vent hose?

-- oh, duh... keeps water out if you sink

Last edited:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I have been eyeing that same filler. DeepBlue recommended metal instead of plastic, but I'm not sure why.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Plastic has a tendency to break down due to UV rays and action from the water etc. If you keep your boat covered and you're not on the water a whole lot, a plastic one will last a good long time. You can Acetone wash it and Paint it too and then the problem goes away!!!:D

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Ah, ok. My current plastic one has lasted 26 years so I'm probably good.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Ah, ok. My current plastic one has lasted 26 years so I'm probably good.

True, but keep in mind that your plastic one that lasted 26 years wasn't made in China using the cheapest possible material on planet earth. Even if it was, I doubt the quality control standards were as "forgiving" as they are now. When it comes to fuel, I prefer to stay waaaaay on the safe side but this is just me.