Install Bung Plug or Not??

Sandbank

Seaman
To be or not to be...
I have recently upgraded to a newer boat. An Italian Sessa Dorado 22ft Boat Photo-Pre Reno.jpg . Needs a bloody good clean but in perfect nick. Anyway...

Coming from a manufacturer of larger yachts rather than trailer boats they did not install a bung plug. The bilge area is a PITA to get to although as it has deck drains overboard and an outboard motor, unlikely to get a huge amount of water or crap in the bilge area...even if get some though the sump will always have some residual water.

Like most, the thought of drilling through the transom to fit a bung plug is mildly terrifying!

So the question my learned colleagues is...should I fit a bung plug or not???
Would appreciate what others thought
:confused:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Install Bung Plug or Not??

I would turn the question back on you...... do you feel the need to drain the bilge? are you not able to drain it reasonably with a bilge pump? personally I'd say that if the deck water drains overboard then I would assure that any hatches are sealed and call it good... a mop is handy for soaking up a small amount of water in a bilge than you can't easily sponge dry by hand.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Install Bung Plug or Not??

You probably don't need one, but if you do install one it'll give you a good chance to see what kind of condition your transom lumber is in... if you dare to look.