Inflatables

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Inflatables

Does anyone have any ideas about mounting cushioned seats on the wooden seats that will hold up in salt water?

doofus

Cadet

doofus

Cadet
Transom question

Transom question

I want to install two rod holders into my transom and just wanted to know if it's okay to screw them into the transom?

doofus

Cadet

Does anyone have any ideas about mounting cushioned seats on the wooden seats that will hold up in salt water?

Do you mean like that ones that boatstogo.com advertises or the swivel seat fold up type? I would think that any type of vinyl or plastic seat would last in salt water.

mattyv

Cadet

hey DR, are those plates on the transom that the motor bolts up to metal? the ones on my SD385 are plastic and im not sure if i like that... if yours are metal maybe i can get some from saturn

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi Matt, yes they are aluminum. I think that's something Saturn recently changed.

mattyv

Cadet

what?? i got the boat in the mail a week ago! ill have to send them an email....:D

mattyv

Cadet

ok i emailed saturn...

Matt,

All new 2008 boats come with plastic inpads/outpads. Aluminum was subject to corrosion fast, plus sometimes they can crack under heavy weight of the engine. Therefore manufacturer replaced it with plastic mounting plates.

Best Regards,

Ilya

doofus

Cadet
Re: Transom question

Re: Transom question

Yes, just make sure you seal them well.

Should I use a piece of rubber as a type of washer to use between the screw and the transom to help keep water out or some other method? I want to do it right the first time before drilling pilot holes.

kevinzinck

Cadet

Would it be okay to lay down the outboard in the trunk of a car? My car cannot tow anything without ruining the transmission and is the sole reason why I bought an inflatable. I was reading the manual for the Tohatsu online and it says to keep it upright when storing but what about road trips? Can someone give me some advice? Should I just rig it somehow in the back seat?:confused:

I built a outboard motor carrier, it connects to the trailer hitch, works great, never had any problems. since these photos i have installed wheels on the bottom and roll it into the shed when stored.
The pictures are to large to post, i will take a few and post later.

Attachments

• th_DSC00092.jpg
    th_DSC00092.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
  • th_DSC00093.jpg
    th_DSC00093.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
  • th_DSC00094.jpg
    th_DSC00094.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
  • th_DSC00095.jpg
    th_DSC00095.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hope you like it. You'll have to let us know how you and Arthur are doing these days.

mattyv

Cadet

hey guys, i just took my 13ft saturn out this weekend for the first time...its awesome! it flies with my 1975 25 evinrude and it was getting scary at the top end by myself haha. overall im very happy with the boat and i took a pretty long trip with four people and encountered some rough water and the boat is holding up well so far. now if i can just get my lower unit to stop leaking.....

doofus

Cadet

hey guys, i just took my 13ft saturn out this weekend for the first time...its awesome! it flies with my 1975 25 evinrude and it was getting scary at the top end by myself haha. overall im very happy with the boat and i took a pretty long trip with four people and encountered some rough water and the boat is holding up well so far. now if i can just get my lower unit to stop leaking.....

Good deal mattyv. I took mine out first time like 2 weeks ago on a private lake at my sister's place. I had to use her trolling motor :( since I don't have an outboard yet but it held up nicely. I even rowed it like 70 yards to test it and I was very pleased with the oars and oar locks performance. Keep in mind there were no other boats out there and no wake to challenge me :p. Standing up in it to fish was nice for a change from a canoe. I'm debating if I should order an outboard motor or pay off my boat first. It's nice to be able to compare notes with other people in the same boat. Get it same boat? Sorry couldn't help it. :D

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

now if i can just get my lower unit to stop leaking.....

I had to have mine resealed, and had the drive shaft replaced. I also replaced every plastic part in the throttle system. For a while I just changed the outdrive oil after every use!