Inflatables

WD40

Recruit
I would like to see a forum for Sea Eagle boats or a general inflatable forum.

William

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Inflatables

I have a Saturn air floor, SD365. It is a PVC fabric boat, as is the Sea Eagle. I would like information on pumps and wheel accesories, and other general use items. It would probably be better to start a new catagory "inflatables" under "general boating, outdoor activities" as opposed to al listing under a manufacturer.

EdForsythe

Recruit

Hi JS,
boatstogo.com sells the Saturn and they have some accessories. I'm agonizing between the Red SD365 and the SD330. What engine do you use? I have an 8Hp Yamaha 2 stroke that would easily plane my 10' Zodiak RIB. do you think it would get the 365 on the plane with one person on board? How is the 365 holding up?
Ed F.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I've got that light 25 HP Evinrude shown as also being on my jon boat. I haven't used it yet. I'm going to Florida in a couple of weeks. I would want at least half of the rated horsepower for that boat, which is 15HP. BTW , mine ias light gray.

doofus

Cadet

I just bought a Saturn SD365 (red) and it's my first craft of any kind. Although it can take up to a 30hp motor I'm on a budget and was wondering if a 5hp Tohatsu would be good enough since it'll be mostly just me and my bro fishing. I'd like to know if anyone else has any experience with Saturn's or inflatables in general for tips on accessories, maintenance, etc.

mattyv

Cadet

i just ordered a red 385 :)

5 horsepower will probably get you there...but not very quickly

doofus

Cadet

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Just got back from Florida. The 25 hauls butt with a man, 14 yo and 3 month old Springer. Kept forgetting to put the gps on it, but seemed around 20 to 25 mph. While getting on plane,the floor "waved" but that went away as I went faster. I went full throttle because the floor seemed harder at speed. I just bought the 25 in November. It broke every day I used it. I could fix everything until it backfired while trying to start it, and wouldn't hit after that. My hydrofoil worked well.

doofus

Cadet

Would it be okay to lay down the outboard in the trunk of a car? My car cannot tow anything without ruining the transmission and is the sole reason why I bought an inflatable. I was reading the manual for the Tohatsu online and it says to keep it upright when storing but what about road trips? Can someone give me some advice? Should I just rig it somehow in the back seat?:confused:

mattyv

Cadet

doofus, i plan on laying mine down but its a 2 stroke, i wouldnt lay down a 4 stroke because of the oil that sits in the crankcase, thats probably why they advise against it. any other opinions?

jspringator, i thought that might happen, so i bought the 385 with the wood floor over the 365 with the air floor. weighs more but I think itll be worth it. Have you run the boat without the hydrofoil? does it make a huge difference? I have the same exact engine, 1975 evinrude 25.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't run it without the foil. The floor "waves" were a little disconcerting at first, but I think that is a sign it is getting ready to fully plane. I transported my motor in a "bigfoot bag". A medium fits my 25 with room left over. A small would probably work for a smaller motor, but I would measure to be sure. As a matter of fact, I got a Bigfoot bag for my boat, too. I got a large, but it was way too big. I would get a medium.

Anybody looking at one of these shouldn't get anything smaller than the SD365. The boat seems small inside, and I couldn't imagine turning something shorter.

Doofus, you would be better off shopping E-bay for a 2 stroke that you can store in any position. I store mine on its side, throttle handle down. A mid 80's Johnnyrude 15 would do a good job on this boat, probably as good as my 25 because of the change in horsepower ratings in the early 80's.

mattyv

Cadet

is your 25 a short shaft? im in the process of converting mine down to a short shaft. where did you get that bigfoot bag for the motor?? that sounds great for throwing it in the back of my jeep

yeah, the wood floor was only part of my decision. i liked the extra foot also.

doofus, check out craigslist too there are usually some good motors on there. I would definitely look for a 2 stroke too: lighter and no transporting issues

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Its short, which is 18" on these motors, if I'm not mistaken. Google Bigfoot Bag. I got mine at ebags.com. Holds the gas smell in real well, but it isn't air tight. Mine was particularly gassy because I didn't get to run the gas out of it because it didn't run, but I was still able to run the fridge in the camper on the way home because there wasn't any smell.

mattyv

Cadet

so that would make the long shafts 23"? im not sure i had a 5 inch spacer in the midsection so i took that out and had a machine shop cut the driveshaft 5 inches and ill cut the shifter linkage and water pipe.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I stand corrected. It is 15 inch according to my shop manual.

doofus

Cadet

doofus, i plan on laying mine down but its a 2 stroke, i wouldnt lay down a 4 stroke because of the oil that sits in the crankcase, thats probably why they advise against it. any other opinions?

Thanks I knew there had to be some explanation for it. I'll have to look into it further cause I think here in Georgia there's a law I think about emissions from boat motors so I might not have a choice in a 2 or 4 stroke engine. If I have to McGyver it and build some type of wood stand for the back seat to keep the engine upright I'll do it. Does anyone know the height of the entire outboard motor?

doofus

Cadet

Would it be okay to lay down the outboard in the trunk of a car? My car cannot tow anything without ruining the transmission and is the sole reason why I bought an inflatable. I was reading the manual for the Tohatsu online and it says to keep it upright when storing but what about road trips? Can someone give me some advice? Should I just rig it somehow in the back seat?:confused:

:cool:Just as an FYI for future members, I emailed onlineoutboards.com and this was there response:

Thank you for your email and interest in our outboards. The 5hp can be
laid tiller handle side down for transport.

Thank you,
Chris Collins
National Sales Manager
www.OnlineOutboards.com
sales@OnlineOutboards.com
1-888-681-9073 Toll-Free 8am-9pm EST

mattyv

Cadet

the law is probably for new outboards, so you can get a newish used 2 stroke. thats how New York is anyway. nothing wrong with a 4 stroke especially if you can lay it down. weighs more, but quieter. tradeoffs haha

doofus

Cadet

wow that thing gets going with a 6hp!!! what are you guys planning to do (or have done) about numbers on the side? The link that saturn gives you( http://www.boatnumberplate.com/ ) shows a whole sticker and it looks a little weird. I was thinking of getting a kit with stencils and paint for inflatables. not that expensive either.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/366620045.htm

I was wondering the same thing. I found another site that does the same service from boatumberplate.com http://www.alpineboats.com/inflatable_boat_number_plates.php

Here's one for the stencil kit http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4701.html

Here's a link for the plastic number plates that tie to the handlines
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/LETTERS_PLACQUES-BERNARD_BOAT_REGISTRATION_NUMBER_PLATES.html