In Need of Alpha 1 U-Joint and Boot Advice

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: In Need of Alpha 1 U-Joint and Boot Advice

First ,when I said "tweak" in my first response I meant continue fine tuning alignment, just in case that confused the issue.As to whether you should change coupler now, that kind of depends on your inclination and budget.

On one hand, you could align best possible and try boat out. Make sure you have other vibration sources such as prop under control so that if there is vibration you know where its likely not coming from.(this could be accomplished in a few hours),

on other hand you could remove engine, check whats going on with those rear mounts while its out,check coupler up close,buy a new one if it seems worse than a new one(theyre not always true either,be sure and check it before install),and put it all back together.This is a couple of days work for your avg backyard mechanic. Method a would be fastest but may result in method b ,(or not))

mho

skyler4321

Cadet

Well I pulled the engine.
That was the easiest engine pull ever.
There are small rubber balls all around the hub on the side that mates to the flywheel.
Also found the plastic cover for around the starter, pinched between the engine and the rear cover and behind the flywheel. It is pretty chewed up.
Looks like this will save the first boating weekend.:D

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did the right thing. I have repaired so many "fixes" from the PO of my boat that now I just wished I pulled the damn engine out 2 seasons ago and went through everything. But I have a 100 hour reman engine that has tons of life left in it. So that has kept me from pulling it. When I do (someday) the 5.7 is going in along with a new outdrive. Now you have the chance to make sure all is 100%. One tip. While the engine is out of the bildge. Install a secondary bildge pump up higher than the primary one. Plum it out seperate from the primary's hoses to go overboard. Good insurance in case of a failure of pump 1 in an emergency. A remote oil drain line out of the oil pan is not a bad idea either, Newer Mercs have this right out the drain hole. You can pull a small chain and out comes the hose. Uncapp it, and drain away. No more sucking! Good luck.

CCJ

skyler4321

Cadet

The Clymer manual says to use loctite 271 on the flywheel and coupler bolts. That is the red stuff. I have seen it break grade 8 bolts. Is that a typo?
I would feel much better using the blue 242.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im sure blue pink or green would do just fine. There are a more than a few out there working fine with nothing on the bolts.Dont ask how I know this. Some of us dont read all the instructions I guess.