Impeller- Red paint- remove before removing screws??

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New to me boat. 3L 2007

This is an odd one to me... the entire engine is painted red. OK.
Sadly so are the 4 visible screw threads on the water pump (impeller change time)
Guessing its never been changed...

1) Do I use paint stripper or just put a socket on and start removing these 4 screws (paint seems pretty darn thick!) Dont want to strip threads.

Also:
2) Spark plug in cylinder 1 is black, possibly overheated? How can I tell?? Idles rough (shakes) and hard starting after a 15 min. run (only third time out)
3) yes I should prob do a compression test but any thoughts?

Thanks with gratitude!

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sorry. I confused this thread, My original question remains unaddressed:
To clarify...

The entire engine is painted red.
So are the 4 visible screw threads on the water pump (impeller change time)
(paint is unblemished so guessing its never been changed)

1) Do I use paint stripper or just put a socket on and start forcably removing these 4 screws (paint seems pretty darn thick!) Dont want to strip threads because of paint!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'm sorry. I confused this thread, My original question remains unaddressed:
To clarify...

The entire engine is painted red.
So are the 4 visible screw threads on the water pump (impeller change time)
(paint is unblemished so guessing its never been changed)

1) Do I use paint stripper or just put a socket on and start forcably removing these 4 screws (paint seems pretty darn thick!) Dont want to strip threads because of paint!
Most Volvo engines are painted red except the ones that are grey or black..
Can t see how much paint is on them but would think if you lightly tap them socket on it would be fine.

I think kennys comment about compression test is accurate. To be honest usually best done before you by the boat. Would make sure before get into any maintenance work ($$) the engine is mechanically sound.

Did you do a water test when you bought it?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Red paint:
Thanks, ok I'll try to just tap on a socket and remove screw- thing is, the paint is so thick it conceals entirely the threads as the screw passes through the impeller mounting that holds impeller cover on. Thats why Im concearned about stripping or other damage.

Re black plug, rough running.
No didnt compression test. Too damn excited I could afford a 2007 boat. Perhaps there was a reason it was undervalued.... yes. get what you pay for.
Days and days of rain here, have to go out and compression test the thing today even if I get soaked. Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, volvo hoses down the engine and the Johnson pump.

just use your pocket knife to flake off the paint if you are worried about it. they are either Metric (M4 or M5) or #10 screws. they are not very tight (they dont need to be)