Impeller change level of difficulty Q

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
How difficult is it for someone with mech ability but no experience to change an impeller IN THE LAKE?
I just moved to a new lake house so this spring has been full of unscheduled work. I bought a kit to change the impeller while it was still sitting on the trailer. Then the move suddenly happened and it concluded with me putting my pontoon in the lake with the old impeller still in it. Hey it was working last year, so I rolled the dice.
Well it's NOT pumping now and I have yet to cruise my new water. This is my summer cottage and it's 200 miles from home. Things often don't happen when, or the way I intend.

How hard is the job when doing it in shallow water?
I intend to watch some videos but I've found they often make things look way easier than reality.

2000 Johnson 40 short shaft

saltchuckmatt

Commander
If nothing is crusted up it's fairly straight forward if your mechanically fit.

Must be 100's of videos online.

matt167

Rear Admiral
I can’t imagine it’s much different then doing it on land. If it’s shallow enough to stand up that is. Bring the lower to shore to swap the impeller.. just don’t drop anything.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
tie a rubber raft under the lower unit so WHEN (NOT IF) you do drop something it wont get lost
That's a great idea--but i think I'll modify it by weighing something down on the bottom, like a tarp, so it's not in my way.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Actually i DON'T think the impeller is my (only) problem. When I saw it wasn't peeing I checked the outlet hose & found it was plugged with dauber dirt. I cleaned that out but still it didn't flow. I can't blow air into the plastic elbow on top of the motor that the hose connects to. The metal tube from the impeller housing up must also be plugged.
I just thought I should also replace the impeller since I haven't in the 5 years I've owned this boat.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Can this water tube be cleared from the top down--or is that a bad idea?
My thought here is if I can get the water flowing then I can motor down to the ramp and remove my boat. I'd rather work on it in the driveway.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Tie or anchor the boat firmly so she doesn't move while you work on it.

Pull the bolts and remove the gearcase. Take the gearcase ashore where you have built a fixture to hold it. Vice works, some sort of wooden stand or even some cinder blocks with wood padding.

Take your time and follow the service manual procedure. Clean your hands well.

It sounds like you may want to pull the thermostat and reverse flush the motor, with a garden hose, if you can.

Reinstall

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
who cares what the indicator is doing! whats the temp at idle at the flat spot top of the head?? does it burble out water from the exhaust relief grommet once it warms up and the t stat opens? those are very tough impellers. one common thing is the grommet at the top of the water tube gets rolled/pinched then cracks and wont pump all the way up top.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
even with a rock hard/set the impeller will still pump just fine at idle so unless someone ran it dry i highly doubt they are burned or missing

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
The blockage was in the 1/4" elbow atop the tstat housing.
Now that I can see the water is pumping I can take it out for a short ride to see if it overheats. IF i get a break in the lousy weather. Today was supposed to be warm & dry but instead I've got cold & spitting rain.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Blockage of the tell tail doesn't mean an overheat has happened. Get your self an inexpensive IR gun and shoot the top of the head while out in the lake cruising.

Safer to have two people!