Im winterizing, question about battery/storage

BARKLEY

Banned
Re: Im winterizing, question about battery/storage

thank you, that answers another question I had, if you can even trailer while it's shrink wrapped?

and yes, people are asking serious questions here. Serious answers only please.
I understand the "not having fun comment", but I was just trying to relaxe the feeling. Been around boats for over 42 years, and had a lot of good luck and experiences. Just tried to help...Remember, we our all lucky that we can do our favarite thing as in boating. Wow...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The outdrive up will be fine. There is no reason to lower it.. Pull your battery, get it wrapped, and call it good. Who ever told you the outdrive needs to be down is wrong!

:facepalm: Ever read your owners handbook?????

I live where the sun shine 12 months. :D I store my boat in a closed garage with the drive DOWN!! You know why, apart from the fact that THE ENGINE MANUFACTURER recommends the drive down? It allows water drainage and it takes the stress off the uni bellows. If I lived where I had to 'winterize' (whatever that is :D) Then I would be even more concerned about the uni bellows being stress AND frozen. I have replaced enough bellows to know that ANYTHING I can do to make them last longer is a good thing. Not to mention other items damaged when they leak.

I guess one of the hazards of public forums is that you can get the odd member who just loves spreading bad advice. Fortunately on this forum we have enough professional and experienced people to put things right.

:D:D

Chris.....

BARKLEY

Banned

:facepalm: Ever read your owners handbook?????

I live where the sun shine 12 months. :D I store my boat in a closed garage with the drive DOWN!! You know why, apart from the fact that THE ENGINE MANUFACTURER recommends the drive down? It allows water drainage and it takes the stress off the uni bellows. If I lived where I had to 'winterize' (whatever that is :D) Then I would be even more concerned about the uni bellows being stress AND frozen. I have replaced enough bellows to know that ANYTHING I can do to make them last longer is a good thing. Not to mention other items damaged when they leak.

I guess one of the hazards of public forums is that you can get the odd member who just loves spreading bad advice. Fortunately on this forum we have enough professional and experienced people to put things right.

:D:D

Chris.....
4 boats No problems... 3 at of 4 peformance boats..... No problems... Sorry if I can't help Chief..... Always bring it!!!!!!!!!!!

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELL-O Again I really thought it had to do with pressure on the lines But now I have the correct answer it all has to do with water seepage.That is why I joined iboats to learn about all boats,And as a member I AM ALLOWED TO POST IN ANY TREAD THAT I FEEL LIKE---HEY BARKLEY-UUUGHHHHHH '' BACK AT YOU

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

So about the battery storage LOL. If you have access to electricity where you store it, get yourself a good battery maintainer (waterproof), hook it up a and leave it on all winter. If no electric available, bring it home and hook it up to the maintainer. Then if you can, leave it hooked up all year. The best thing you can do for your battery(s) it keep it fully charged all the time. So battery up, outdrive down;)

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i vote for drive down, as we speak mine is indoors and up :eek:

BARKLEY

Banned

Wow,people get touchy...:D:D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Wow,people get touchy...:D:D

They certainly do when the OP is a newbie looking for serious advice, not clown comments!

BARKLEY

Banned

They certainly do when the OP is a newbie looking for serious advice, not clown comments!
Relaxe Pal, and take a stress tab... Were talking about boating not the world comming to a end.........Jeeeez... Breath and chill?????

BARKLEY

Banned

Relaxe Pal, and take a stress tab... Were talking about boating not the world comming to a end.........Jeeeez... Breath and chill?????
Nothing else???? Just waiting...lol...lol...lol.. Remember, were talking about Boats...........:facepalm::cool::eek:

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Waiting????

you need a new hobby, other than sitting here stirring the pot. If you truly have been boating for 42 years, I would assume your at least 42 years old, so try acting your age

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

i vote for drive down, as we speak mine is indoors and up :eek:

Before this thread gets locked, just wanted to share some experience. I stored an outdrive in the up position once and had the cone fill with water and freeze. It actually blew a hole out next to the skeg and I was buying an outdrive. Just one of those things where you are rolling the dice.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Take the battery out or at the very least disconnect it. One mouse, chewing on a wire, tearing off the insulation, can create a direct short, or short to ground. That can cause a fire, torching your boat, and if its a community storage area, like I use, every vehicle and boat in the storage unit. As well as burning the structure to the ground.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

The deep cycle batteries in my experience with them, they should be fine as long as you dont leave them out in the freezing cold for too long, and you can trickle charge them when ready to use. The starter only batteries I would keep hooked to a maintainer, because in my experience with them, when they drain.. they are garbage.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Before this thread gets locked, just wanted to share some experience. I stored an outdrive in the up position once and had the cone fill with water and freeze. It actually blew a hole out next to the skeg and I was buying an outdrive. Just one of those things where you are rolling the dice.

I was agreeing that it should be stored down if cold out, heck maybe all the time just for the mentioned bellows reason. I was only poking fun because currently i have room for it in my shop and dont have to winterize it. :)