i'm taking this harder than i ever thought that i could

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Many of you are aware that my dog had surgery about ten days ago,a couple of tumors on his side were removed successfully,all is well there ,however there was one on his left front leg right at the knee that could only be partially removed because a nerve is in the way.<br />The biopsy report came back today and the tumor in the leg is cancerous,though in an early stage since it does not appear to have spread elsewhere,so Elmer Fudge(the name of my dog)is having some preliminary tests done today to define the best form of treatment going forward.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: i'm taking this harder than i ever thought that i could

The most difficult emotion to deal with is a loved ones suffering, in any form. Our pets fit easily under the Loved Ones umbrella. Lost my border collie of 17 years 5 years ago on Thanksgiving morning. Still think of her daily, and I have a Lab, and Dane with me now. Give the pup the same unconditional love he gives you. My prayers include him now.

KaGee

Admiral

We understand... a dumb mutt's love... who would have thought how it affects us.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

:(

ob

Admiral

Hope you and your best friend the best.They go to heaven too you know.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sorry to hear about your friend,mine is getting up there in years,can't hear or see very well and has a tumor on the side of her back leg. I hate the thought of loosing her.my prayers will be with you,I hope that every thing works out

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

The toughest thing in life has been putting our best friends down, or to see them sick, but what can you do. I have never been lucky enough to have pet die of old age. Here is picture of my beloved "Dusty", a 9 year old Golden Retriever that had cancer take over her body, and had to put to sleep this July. If you look at the photo, I had that cancerous pink thing on her lower lip removed, but knew down the line it would still be a problem. She ended up with it in her spleen and liver. My heart goes out to you. Be very gentle, and give the pup lots of soft talk and attention, and plenty of hugs. Best of luck, as I know just how tough it can be. Robby....heres my baby, may she rest in painless peace.....<br />
DustyDoodle8-957-20-04.jpg

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by ob:<br /> .They go to heaven too you know.
Whats that saying, "If I can't go to Heaven, I want to go where the dogs go!"

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

sorry to hear it, EF, hope they can treat it before it spreads.<br /><br />hang in there,<br />jtw

Triton II

Commander

Good luck 'lil Elmer F...

salty87

Commander

give 'em hell elmer!!

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I had to put my lab to sleep a couple of months ago because of a painful tumor in his leg/shoulder. I don't go a day without thinking about him and still get a emotional when I try to talk or type about it. Good luck and I hope they found it soon enough to do something. It just rips your heart out to see them suffer. <br /><br />If my dogs waiting for me when I leave this life that will be heaven.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

You're far from alone,EF. And you're taking it just like I did on a couple life-changing occasions. Hang tuff. We will hang tuff with you.<br />I hate this thread. It brings back memeories of "Hoser", my black retriever, "Tea Bag" and "Bootz" (cats and loving companions).

FSHKPR

Ensign

i understand your feelings too, its real tough. my golden retriever is 14 and has a tumor on his front leg and alot of other places. the vet said it probably is cancerous. he cant hardly see, cant hear. but still does not seem to be suffering. when he is, i will bite the bullet and put him down. but for now i just try to keep him comfortable, and spend as much time with him as i can. when we brought him up to the new cottage and land we bought he was in his glory. all that land to roam around on. but i swear he kept looking at me like "you dumb #$%^$%^ why did you not buy this when i was younger and could enjoy it" i know he doesnt have alot of time left and i cant see ever getting another one like him. so when he is gone thats it for dogs.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Hang in there Elmer,I feel your pain. It sometimes doesn't hit ya how attached and loved our pets are till something like that happens. I went through the mill with "Old Shad Girl" last year, cried like a little baby when I had to put her down. <br /><br />FSHKPR, I felt the same way for a long time, I know I'll never replace my old girl but have got up the nerve to finally get a new dog.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. <br />Mine sleeps under the covers between the wife and I nightly. We too have a spoiled hound. At 8.5 years old, anything can happen at any time. <br /><br />Just try and stay positive, and realize that things could always be worse. (at least you had the chance to meet Elmer Fudge)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

EF, best of luck with treatment and recovery.<br /><br />NY, I've got two border collies, 10 years and 6 years old. Hopefully I won't have problems for quite awhile, but I know it's gonna get real tough at some point down the road. They're so active that they'll try to run & play even when hurt. I can't imagine what it will be like if severe arthritis or something else disabling sets in. <br /><br />For those of you who have lost a dog you considered part of your family maybe the following will be of some comfort. Author is unknown.<br /><br />RAINBOW BRIDGE<br /><br />Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When a pet dies that has been especially close to someone here, it goes to Rainbow Bridge.<br /><br />There are meadows and lakes where our special friends run and play together in the sunshine.<br />There is plenty of food and water, and our friends are warm and comfortable.<br /><br />Animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor, those who were hurt are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are so happy and content they barely notice that they miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind.<br /><br />They all run and play together, but a day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.<br /><br />You have just been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. <br /><br />The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. <br /><br />Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together........

LubeDude

Admiral

It truly is amazing how attached we get allright, We cant even go on a walk on a trail or along the beach without expecting to see our Golden Retreiver pass us by and go running along. When he would lag back we would hide from him but not for long. Sometimes we thought he would lag behind on purpose just to play the game. Hes been gone five years, and I dont think we will ever not miss him. We never replaced him.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br />
Originally posted by ob:<br /> .They go to heaven too you know.
Whats that saying, "If I can't go to Heaven, I want to go where the dogs go!"
I thought it was a self explanitory statement.IMO ,dogs are Gods creatures as well and in the end you'll be reunited.Don't want to get in to a religious debate.Just trying to give some words of comfort in the event things don't turn out so well with the dog.I can't for the life of me however,understand how you were interpreting my comment.No big woop ,I guess.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

My heart goes out to you and I also know the bond we build with our furry friends. My best to you and Elmer. Prayers will be said for him tonight.<br />Bassy