I'm scared!!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm scared!!!!

lets see a shot of that bulkhead you were talking about jeff

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

All of what you have shown needs to come out to the hull. Stringers look rotten. Take measurements as you will have to rebuild it. And take pics lot and lots of pics. Load them into you computer and burn a disc copy just in case. It will aid in reassembly.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

I have already started to take some measurements.My backup plan is I have another boat exactly the same so hopefully I can use that for measurements I get stuck on.I figured if I'm this far I might as well do everything right to the front and be done withy it.Thanks.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

wellcraft 027.jpgwellcraft 026.jpgwellcraft 028.jpgok.This is how far I have gotten with my deck replacement.I.m taking it out piece by piece so my measurements will be made.correctly.So far so good.Found lots of foam absolutely soaked with water.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Jeff..and welcome to Iboats..

Its a Gut boat.. Meaning..your going to have to Fully resto ( based on pics ) the Whole kit and kaboodle..Right down to the hull..

Good=you can sell the "project boat" and get a Wii for the kiddies..

Bad= Its gonna cost ya some bucks (from what I see).

As allready stated..sure you want to take this on ? If so..then post more pics and lets get started with grinding/cutting and pics :) .

YD.

Yup..its a complete resto..

Time to uncap, measure/jig and get to grinding..

I will tell you right now..the best thing to do if you want to do this resto..is buy a Full face resporator..some good ear muffs..some grinding suits (oversized because your going to blow out the crotch if its a good fit ..not good ) and a box of latex gloves ( tape them to your suit ) ..

Oh oh..and a MP3 player ..You can Grind All day long with this setup.. :) .

Keep postin' them pics :) .

YD.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Oh oh..and a MP3 player ..You can Grind All day long with this setup"

YD. That's the best advice I have heard on here. lol.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

jeff im in the same boat as you...not quite litterally but i do have a 1988 wellcraft 170 classic. i am in the process of removing the foam, already removed the deck. then ill remove everything. taking measurements before i do. your in good hands. i have already been helped so much.

yacht DR thanks for the tip on the full face respirator and the mp3 player. ill be using my iphone, just incase i need to call one of you guys :redface::p

jeffkrieger

Seaman

thanks for all the support.without all you guys I never would have attempted to do this.thanks again!!!!!!!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Its really not as bad as it seems, just a lot of work. You will need a angle grinder...some diamond tipped blades....get a 6" sand paper adapter for the grinder and 60 grit paper...killer combo...jig saw..you have the shovel.....DO NOT SKIP A RESPRIATOR....

Now get to work and cut out all the junk.:D

If you cut thourgh the hull its ok.
If you get frustated its ok.
If you cut a gas line its ok.
If your wife gets jealous its ok.....:confused:
If you never heard of stainless screws its ok
if you dont know what poly resin is its ok
If you dont know the floor is really a deck its ok
Now if you decide to cut your boat in half and lengthn it 2 or 3 feet.....That might not be ok..:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Tail_Gunner;3105467 Now if you decide to cut your boat in half and lengthn it 2 or 3 feet.....That might not be ok..:D[/QUOTE said:
LOL.. good words of wisdom :) ( I allmost put a swig of beer through my nose when I saw this ROFL....

YD.

PS. As far at the mp3..put the "ear buds " in..then Cover those with full Ear Muffs Over the "buds" ( Works quite well :) ) .

jeffkrieger

Seaman

what in the $#%^ is this? i found it midway between operators seat and engine compartment,next to gas tank.is it just extra fiberglass in there or did i cut a hole in my boat?it looks like a conch shell!!!!
thanks
jeff
wellcraft033
[/IMG][/IMG]

jeffkrieger

Seaman

been working very slowly on boat.i am removing the transom and i have a question.should the inch and a half plywood cover the entire of the stern where everything mounts?or should it just be 6 inches around the hole?
thanks in advance.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

the bottom of transom is right down to the outer hull.does the outer piece of plywood run all across the stern or does it go just so far on each side of the hole?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You need to back off and give us a wider view, but it looks like your transom wood keeps on going. Some I/O's have center transoms and others full transoms. I cannot tell from your pics what you have. Again, a wider view is needed.