I'm scared!!!!

jeffkrieger

Seaman
:confused::confused:Was in boat today pulling up carpet and I fell through the floor.Now I know what needs to be done,but I'm still in the denial stage.I have read through the posts here and other forums and still need to ask this question-Is this something that is possible for a first timer to do?Fixing the floor/hull is something that scares me.Also what kind of $ am I looking at?(just a ballpark will do)Last question,as I was pulling the carpet up the fiberglass was coming up with it.Is this because the wood underneath is so bad?Thanks in advancefor the answers and not laughing at the stupid questions.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm scared!!!!

welcome to iboats buddy.....no one is laughing here.....WE HAVE ALL DONE THIS......thats why we are here.

we need more info.....type of boat...outboard or inboard.....cuddy or no......age.......and lots of pictures.

if you want to keep the boat of a short time....you can just throw another peice of wood down and carpet it.......then use it for a season and sell it a s a project boat.

ok.....bad news.....if the deck is rot....most likely so are the stringers and foam.....and possibly the transom.......thats 2k and a ton of really enjoyable work...how do you feel about grinding?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Need Pics!!
Do a search on Deck replacement. Lots of examples on the forum. Most guys on here use either Marine Grade Plywood or just Plain ole Exterior Grade plywood soaked in either Polyester or Epoxy resin and covered with Fiberglass Cloth to replace the Deck (Boats don't have floors). Done correctly your deck will last 50+ years. Like OOPS said you'll need to check the Stringers and Transom too! Cost??? to hard to tell with out more details and pics. Check out my signature for an easy way to post your pics.

I'm just sayin...:D

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are afraid of work or have no means to fix it ditch that boat as fast as you can.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

Sorry about not including more info.1990 Wellcraft 192 sport.I/o volvo aq171.Yes it is a cuddy.You guys are probably right about the rest of it being bad.I haven't thought about how long I will keep it.1st boat is kinda like a first child.But then I only have step kids so that don't apply either!lolWhats the worst that can happen ?I have a $400 boat with $2000 of repairs now worth $600.Won't be the first time,and I'm sure not the last.I'll try to get some pics tomrrow.Thanks again.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

It's certainly no easy task, but very doable.....PLENTY of expert help on here if you decide to tackle it. As already said post some pictures and ask away. Welcome aboard.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You could part that boat out and be money ahead. Who wouldn't want a 167 hp 4 cyl. If it has the rare 4 cyl DP, you could trade that $400 boat into a $2,000 turn key

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

oops! summed it up
how do you feel about grinding
(alot)
once you pull the top & engine its not so bad

jeffkrieger

Seaman

I cut out a small piece of floor back by engine.foam is saturated with water.started pulling that out.is the foam sprayed in or is the foam in blocks and just set in there?
I'm going through all this cause wife wanted a boat.(if the queen is happy the kingdom is happy)Now I go overboard on everything i do.So I now have 2 exact boats sitting in back yard.both have bad floors.i have 2 good engines and 1 filled with water.all the other parts will be useful.also have an aq130 & 270 drive sitting there.($300 if anyone is interested)so hopefully i will have enough parts.probably not.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Jeff..and welcome to Iboats..

Its a Gut boat.. Meaning..your going to have to Fully resto ( based on pics ) the Whole kit and kaboodle..Right down to the hull..

Good=you can sell the "project boat" and get a Wii for the kiddies..

Bad= Its gonna cost ya some bucks (from what I see).

As allready stated..sure you want to take this on ? If so..then post more pics and lets get started with grinding/cutting and pics :) .

YD.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

well we decided to proceed with this project.so a-grindin' I go.pics to come.thanks guys.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well we decided to proceed with this project.so a-grindin' I go.pics to come.thanks guys.

ok my friend.....lets get atter......first thing........get everything outta the way........everything.....carpet....wires....do a core sample on the transom and see if its rot. if it is....the transom plate has to come off.

read safety basics of grinding and glassing in the sticky on the top of this forum.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the pool full of members that have the same disease.....you will do fine, take your time, measurements, pictures, ask questions, pictures. Good Luck....We're all pulling for you.

sail on.....tink

jeffkrieger

Seaman

started pulling up floor and foam.what a mess.question-what is in front of boat under the seats?is there foam and plywood?also do i need to remove the piece that the doors and dash are attached to?thanks in advance.:confused:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

boat10.jpg

I had to strip mine to the bow of the boat, nasty foam and rotten wood everywhere. It was a bayliner though. Pics would help

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....from now on.......when you post a question.....post pics to help explain.......we need to verify several things to guide you correctly.

yes....foam and ply in under the seats and ahead of them.......as far as the bulkhead console.....most likely not....but we need pics....

man oh man are you gonna have fun.......one thing i will suggest......is that to be a REAL boat restorer.....you MUST.....on a hot day.....get in your shorts and tee shirt.....and grind for about 4 hours.....lol

cheers
oops

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I say you must grind in your boxers in august with the sun beating down on you. No I didnt do that well I didnt do it twice.