I'm on the fence

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I'm on the fence

Not really, build it like you would normally do but just add the extra length for the "shiplap joint"

Marc..

I was just wondering because aren't people fiber glassing the top and the bottom of the deck?

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just wondering because aren't people fiber glassing the top and the bottom of the deck?
What they do is seal the wood,there's many ways to do this. If you plan on putting gelcoat on you your deck then for sure you would need to glass it, if not then use epoxy or paint or whatever to seal the wood

Marc..

Aunugget

Cadet

This is great information to have that I had not thought of previous. Thank you.

By the way - Any idea on how I can find a boat manual for a 1973 Bayliner Nisqually? I have sent several messages to Bayliner and have not heard from them yet. There is some weird wiring on this boat. Not sure what the previous owner was thinking. They sure did not take care of her at all!:eek:

thrillhouse700

AHHH ok thanks marc! We were going to do the lap joint on the stringer for sure, wasn't sure about the deck tho. That kiwigrip is not bad price wise. Any close up shots to see the texture? Is it rubbery kind of non skid?

chrishayes

He said that it has no rubberized texture. I too would like to see it close up just for reference. My other question would be, does it provide a good non slip surface? I mean how would it rival just paint and play sand? I am having a hard time understanding what the difference is between the KG and paint. Is it thickness? texture added?

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

The paint as the consistency of heavy wip cream if not thicker , you can apply it with brush and the special roller or like I did, a slotted trowel and the special roller. The thicker you put it on, the more aggressive will be the texture. The slotted trowel makes it easy to evenly spread the paint over the surface at the right thickness, once this is done, you just move/ride the roller over the surface without applying to much pressure on the roller

I used a 1/8" slotted plastic trowel, that gave me the texture I was looking for, not to aggressive but enough for nonslip

It's a combination on how thick you put it on and the pressure you put on the roller

That stuff covers so much that you can waist some of it to practice on any kind of flat surface

Man, I should sell that stuff:D

Marc..

chrishayes

The paint as the consistency of heavy wip cream if not thicker , you can apply it with brush and the special roller or like I did, a slotted trowel and the special roller. The thicker you put it on, the more aggressive will be the texture. The slotted trowel makes it easy to evenly spread the paint over the surface at the right thickness, once this is done, you just move/ride the roller over the surface without applying to much pressure on the roller

I used a 1/8" slotted plastic trowel, that gave me the texture I was looking for, not to aggressive but enough for nonslip

It's a combination on how thick you put it on and the pressure you put on the roller

That stuff covers so much that you can waist some of it to practice on any kind of flat surface

Man, I should sell that stuff:D

Marc..

Got any photos of the product close up? Thanks for the info as well.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not hard on my feet at all, the lighting in the picture makes it look more aggressive . Sure I wouldn't let somebody drag me on the deck on my bare ***, that would hurt ;)

After one summer of use, the tiny peaks that you get when first applying it, disappears and your left with smooth surface with grip on

Marc..

chrishayes

Not hard on my feet at all, the lighting in the picture makes it look more aggressive . Sure I wouldn't let somebody drag me on the deck on my bare ***, that would hurt ;)

After one summer of use, the tiny peaks that you get when first applying it, disappears and your left with smooth surface with grip on

Marc..

Buddy, I dont know you but I tell ya what, that is not an image I care to elaborate on! So my question now is, is the non slip part of it THE product or is it the peaks making it well...non flat?